Bolt on 80 Series Tire Carrier Compatible with Factory Bumper (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Matt, you might want to try and get a wider angle with that limit strap. At its current angle, the drop down table won’t clear the tailgate when they’re both down. I mean, sure it won’t affect too many ppl, but for those intending to use a drop down table in junction with their tailgate won’t be able to.
Unfortunately that's not possible with the linkage. It has to swing pretty far out to clear the drop down table. You can put the table down then the tailgate but it's partially covered. I intend to have a disconnect with a pin, kinda like a trailer hitch, so.you can unhook the linkage and swing it out further. I figured if you're using the table, you're probably at camp or at least a mostly level place and can do that.

I know it looks simple, but there's a very narrow window to make all this work and not hit the plastic, or the tailgate, not bind, have a stop, be strong and work with existing swingouts. There's limitations to working around the stock components. Without the bumper cap plastic, it could be possible.

Unfortunately that's not possible with the linkage. It has to swing pretty far out to clear the drop down table. You can put the table down then the tailgate but it's partially covered. I intend to have a disconnect with a pin, kinda like a trailer hitch, so.you can unhook the linkage and swing it out further. I figured if you're using the table, you're probably at camp or at least a mostly level place and can do that.

I know it looks simple, but there's a very narrow window to make all this work and not hit the plastic, or the tailgate, not bind, have a stop, be strong and work with existing swingouts. There's limitations to working around the stock components. Without the bumper cap plastic, it could be possible.
You make a good point. It would be pretty leveled to be using the table 🤦🏻‍♂️. But I like the idea of a pin

Reactions: GGM
If anybody is sad that the Land Cruiser hatch emblem is now hidden, the FJ60 rear quarter panel badge came out really nice. There's a couple guys on ebay selling these badges with adhesive backing. OR if you want to use your own adhesive, you can get them even cheaper on Amazon.

Amazon product ASIN B00FSDA4FA
IMG-7912.jpg

If anybody is sad that the Land Cruiser hatch emblem is now hidden, the FJ60 rear quarter panel badge came out really nice. There's a couple guys on ebay selling these badges with adhesive backing. OR if you want to use your own adhesive, you can get them even cheaper on Amazon.

Amazon product ASIN B00FSDA4FA
View attachment 3263980
Doesn’t bother me. I still know what I’m driving as do those who know. Those who don’t know, don’t care (because they’re probably driving a Prius).

Whipped up a prototype today of the side mount. Idk if I'll go into production with it yet. Would anyone be interested?

View attachment 3242370
View attachment 3242371View attachment 3242372
Reporting back about this product. I kept playing with this idea, I added gussets along the whole sides and got it decently strong. Went and torture tested it with (2) 2 gallon rotopaxs full of fuel, and some violent bouncing around, it bent the top bracket. Also, With the 2 rotopax it made it difficult to get to the latch. So in summary it may work ok with one rotopax but I definitely wouldn't put a jerry can on it. I don't think I'm going to put this into production.

For the guys wanting to carry jerry cans I would encourage the second swing out. I'm putting the final touches on the design. It might be available on the website like now ;)

Reporting back about this product. I kept playing with this idea, I added gussets along the whole sides and got it decently strong. Went and torture tested it with (2) 2 gallon rotopaxs full of fuel, and some violent bouncing around, it bent the top bracket. Also, With the 2 rotopax it made it difficult to get to the latch. So in summary it may work ok with one rotopax but I definitely wouldn't put a jerry can on it. I don't think I'm going to put this into production.

Hey Matt, how about a side mounted traction board mount? Like one of these on @boxrocket_adenturers ‘

19F30E18-D6BE-4910-ACBA-EE61B60CCE8C.jpeg

Possible attachment for the Jerry can swing out?

Also, I'm waiting on the hardware to arrive on Thursday for final fitment and to get pictures. But the limit strap (or now I'm calling it a "Limit Linkage") is now available as a retrofit kit on the website. As I stated above it fixes a lot of the fitment issues people have had and makes it much easier.

Sooo, @KeenLexus and @Blacatoe you ready to race?

The linkage kit will now be included in the tire carrier and second swing out. I also had to slightly adjust the price.

I would love to see a video of the swingout working with the linkage on their as well as the table attached.

Oh also, will the limit linkage have a quick release pin to allow for maximum swing?
Yes it will.

1678128314419.png

I would love to see a video of the swingout working with the linkage on their as well as the table attached.
I will get that soon. I think that would help explain how it functions.

Something I've noticed is that when going 70+MPH, or going over rumble strips or gravel, is the tire has a "twisting" type motion on the carrier, essentially back-and-forth rotating type motion (1/4 inch each way?). I know it doesn't seem like that much, but it's definitely noticeable and would be worried it puts a lot of stress on the mounting point of the tire extension, where it is welded to the big "arm". Not sure if this is something you have noticed or are aware of, or is even an issue. Maybe a third piece holding the tire extension to the swing away would fix this? Otherwise the whole mechanism is super solid.

Last edited:
Something I've noticed is that when going 70+MPH, or going over rumble strips or gravel, is the tire has a "twisting" type motion on the carrier, essentially back-and-forth rotating type motion (1/4 inch each way?). I know it doesn't seem like that much, but it's definitely noticeable and would be worried it puts a lot of stress on the mounting point of the tire extension, where it is welded to the big "arm". Not sure if this is something you have noticed or are aware of, or is even an issue. Maybe a third piece holding the tire extension to the swing away would fix this? Otherwise the whole mechanism is super solid.
It's inevitable that some movement is going to happen. There's a lot of leverage on that frame mount and spindle. Very little movement at the spindle make it seem that the rest of the assembly is moving a lot because it's at the end of a long arm. That's why it's very important to make sure that the tire carrier is pressing firmly into the rubber stop and that the latch is tight.

After I built the first tire carrier I go around pushing on others to see how much they move. So far, I haven't been impressed with other mfgs. Or when I'm driving and see another tire carrier I watch it closely to see how it shakes. It's the nature of the design.

It's inevitable that some movement is going to happen. There's a lot of leverage on that frame mount and spindle. Very little movement at the spindle make it seem that the rest of the assembly is moving a lot because it's at the end of a long arm. That's why it's very important to make sure that the tire carrier is pressing firmly into the rubber stop and that the latch is tight.

After I built the first tire carrier I go around pushing on others to see how much they move. So far, I haven't been impressed with other mfgs. Or when I'm driving and see another tire carrier I watch it closely to see how it shakes. It's the nature of the design.
Latch is definitely tight and firm in to the bottom rubber stopper. Thanks for the follow up - just figured I'd provide some food for thought.

I've been seeing alot of people using the Milwaukee packout system in their rigs. If I developed some goodies that use that system would anyone be interested? Suggestions and request?

I've been seeing alot of people using the Milwaukee packout system in their rigs. If I developed some goodies that use that system would anyone be interested? Suggestions and request?
Those systems are becoming popular in a lot of off-roading circles. We personally are keeping the trunk area clear for passengers and gear.

I wonder if a replacement Tailgate Cover (carpeted piece) with packout gear would be too cumbersome

I’d be willing to help you come up with ideas. Maybe incorporate a sliding track system.

Your own version of a drawer system?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom