body work!! YA! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
ok so im to the point of doing some body work on my cruiser, but I'm not sure the best way to remove the rear seal. I started to take it off but heres some pics
rear seal.jpg
rear seal 2.jpg
cornner.jpg

It looks like it is too rusted out to seal anything. I would rip it out and put a new one in.
Then it will seal good.

There should be some tack welds holding the c-channel on with you need to grind off, and cut the rear sil out with the grinder also..

And it looks like you may want to put some new corner pieces also..

You can get all this from Real Steel Cruiser Parts

:cheers:

so um where should the tack welds be? this thing has been a PITA to remove!

O and Nomis the tires are just some 33x10.50 tls's that I got off ebay.

where eles is a good place to get body panles?

you should be able to see the tack welds after you sand the corners down to metal, you may be able to see them from the underside looking back also. ccot has panels as well as some other venders.

Don't worry about the tack welds, they're the first to rust out usually. Just cut along the front edge of the rear sill after removing the doors, then down the sides to the bottom. Your inner channel is rusted out too, it'll have to go and be replaced as well. This is not the time to be gentle...cutting wheel, prybar, and torch are your friend. Minimize the amount you cut beyond your repair piece, you'll have to weld new stock back in otherwise.

where eles is a good place to get body panles?

I bought my sil from cool cruisers. They take forever to manufacture the parts, but the fit and finish are great. Can't comment on anyone else.

Before you do anything, order a replacement crossmember(sill). CCOT makes a very good one. DO NOT use the guy from British Columbia. Once you have recieved the part, it will be much easier to understand what you need to do. Without it, your guessing. If you need help email me. I have lots of pictures that will show what your up against.

how many people have use body panles form "real steel cruisers"? good? bad?

I have used their wheel well tops. Not impressed at all. See my web site for a full description of what all was wrong with them.

Check out Heritage www.heritagesheetmetal.com for much better parts!

I have experience with "Real Steel" check out my site under project 78 it won't dissapoint, RB

CruiserFetish - Just to clarify, you are saying that he won't be disappointed by checking out your site and the issue you went through with RS, right? Your post almost reads like he won't be disappointed by RS. I wouldn't wish what you went through on anyone.

I've heard nothing but good things about Heritage Sheet Metal's product.

Sorry, my bad, just wanted him to take a look at my site to reference my experience with RS, from that he should be able to make his own decision, sorry if I didn't make that clear. As for Herritage, my second tub came from them and nothing but 2 thumbs way up from me, it is an outstanding aftermarket tub. Hope that clears it up.

I done did this job

on my '73 & it sucked!! Yer gonna need rear channel, patch panels at a minimum for both quarters, and a 16 gauge patch for the rear floor whar it all rotted out. The rear channel sits on the frame so you have to lift & support the tub to remove it - I used an air chisel. CCOT was where I got my parts - good service, good stuff, good prices. Don't plan on getting it done fast, cause yer gonna find a lot more rot than you think you already got. I figgered 2 weeks of after work work & it took a frickin year!

not a good day at the shop!

ok so I've got more than just the rear seal to replace, and I worked on two places in the last couple of days and they didnt turn out good, I found that I have more bad metal than I thought. now I'm looking at just replacing the whole tub or must of it. here are some more pics.

it started ok
IMG_0530.JPG
IMG_0535.JPG

than I must of hit a soft spot in the metal and it just kept burnning through. and the rocker panels are just a big mess. O and I got a bit mad and tested the welds with hammer
IMG_0538.JPG
IMG_0532.JPG
IMG_0531.JPG

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom