Body work material, Bondo??? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have pounded out a smashed and creased front drivers fender and am getting ready to maker pretty. What body filler material do you guys recommend?

If it were any other rig I'd just use bondo but POR-15 makes a "special" filler that blah blah blah. I plan to use the POR products inside the fender well and all over the place anyway so maybe I should spend the extra few bucks.

Let me know what you all do. On a side note I have a hole in my tailgate and want to patch it. It started out as a puncture but then rusted around it. I am thinking about tacking (MIG) a piece of metal on the inside and the filling it in. Any suggestions or comments are much appreciated. :cheers:

from reading others posts on this subject. Seems like most recommend, cut out bad spot, find a good donor cruiser, remove from donor cruiser, fit then weld in donor piece, grind/sand/sand, rust prohibiting products, use the absolute least amount of filler you can get away with

beaufort-fj60 said:
from reading others posts on this subject. Seems like most recommend, cut out bad spot, find a good donor cruiser, remove from donor cruiser, fit then weld in donor piece, grind/sand/sand, rust prohibiting products, use the absolute least amount of filler you can get away with

agreed, if the fenders are really bad, i'd look into used fenders. after filling, the next time it ever gets pushed on again may cause cracking/chipping and then you are worse of than you were before.

Good advice. I have one spot that's in need of a patch and I'll do it that way. The crash area isn't rusty at all just dented. It's pounded out pretty good but is dimply from my hammer marks. That is where I was thinking about the POR-15 filler.

Has anyone used any of these products?

I had filler work done on tailgate repairs 8-9 years ago and now it's cracking. S...ks. So if anyone has a rust free blue tailgate...please PM me. Thanks

And yes....stay away from bondo.

i use the fibre-glass bondo material. i can put it on, and sand and prime and paint in the same day.
with my tailgat. i have to yearly grind out the rust on the bottom, and use filler. I have noticed this year its less than the past years, maybe because before i put the tailgate carpet down , i sprayed a
load of lightweight oil inside the tailgate..

hammer

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom