Body on restoration of frame and floorboards (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well many of you ask why my V8 swap and my rear bumper project are not progressing. One is b/c I am a busy dude a the other is b/c those projects cant progress until I started this one.

So you westerners dont know what rust is. In ohio we are in the dead center of the "rust belt". the winter climate here is in between freezing and thawing constantly so the roads require extra salt to keep all of ohio crappy drivers on the road. My 80 has been a native ohio truck all its life and has been under attack from the road salt and liquid ice melting chemicals for 13 winters. I knew I had to get the rust under my truck in check or major damage to the frame and floor would soon result. I am not one to half ass something nor do I believe in miracle rust eating paints. So I decided to attack the project in halfs. I tore the rear axle out and sandblasted it to perfection. Why did I not tear the axle apart 1st? B/c toyotas seals are way better that duct tape. I restored a few axles in the past that I stripped down 1st and it is near impossible to keep sand outta the housing especially if duct tape is involved. So my new approach of sandblast and paint first then dissassemble regear and rebuild has to be a better way.

I also used the opportunity of having the axle out to yanks the gas tank and sandblast bad areas of the floor and frame. The reast is wire wheeled and lacquer wiped. Then a near $100 per quart etching primer is sprayed on to seal the clean steel. I will put a topcoat of low gloss black or gray afterwards.

I will post up some more pics tomorrow. for now you can see the spot sandblasting I did on the frame and body. I did lay on the two part etching primer today and will post pics of it. more to come.. Kirk
rust_axle.JPG

Photo_092907_001.JPG

Photo_092907_002.JPG
rust_axle.JPG
Photo_092907_001.JPG
Photo_092907_002.JPG

more pics
Photo_092907_003.JPG

Photo_092907_004.JPG

All the orange/yellow you see is not rust rather its the toyota seam sealer with the paint knocked off it.

Photo_092907_006.JPG
Photo_092907_003.JPG
Photo_092907_004.JPG
Photo_092907_006.JPG

Didn't chock the front wheels?

Nope. had the deere boom up in the back when working under it for extra support the jack stands and the loader worked fine.

Its in my garage sitting on the lift now.

So you westerners dont know what rust is. In ohio we are in the dead center of the "rust belt". the winter climate here is in between freezing and thawing constantly so the roads require extra salt to keep all of ohio crappy drivers on the road. My 80 has been a native ohio truck all its life and has been under attack from the road salt and liquid ice melting chemicals for 13 winters. I knew I had to get the rust under my truck in check or major damage to the frame and floor would soon result. I am not one to half ass something nor do I believe in miracle rust eating paints.

Native Utahns (such as myself) are well aware of road-salt-induced cancer.

That is precisely why I moved to New Mexico. That was a lot easier than dangling my vehicle from a large piece of construction equipment.....:lol:

Oh, mine's older than yours and the damn thing has developed a rust spot on the rear lower control arm mount where I drug it on a sandstone shelf in Moab a few years ago....:mad:

:lol: :cheers:

D-

Native Utahns (such as myself) are well aware of road-salt-induced cancer.

That is precisely why I moved to New Mexico. That was a lot easier than dangling my vehicle from a large piece of construction equipment.....:lol:

Oh, mine's older than yours and the damn thing has developed a rust spot on the rear lower control arm mount where I drug it on a sandstone shelf in Moab a few years ago....:mad:

I still have sand in my ears what a SOB that was. Maybe I should have considered moving or at least starting a branch facility of my company out there. Then I could come out and wheel! :lol: I will have a oem parts laundry list for you soon. Lotsa things to replace. Oh HTF do you unbolt the front gas tank strap mount? I think the only way would be to lift the body!

Kirk

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom