Blue Heelers !!! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

MANUCHAO

omnia mea mecum porto
Threads
We adopted these to pups from a dog shelter...
Queensland Blue Heelers...
Already, learned to sit, stay and down...
Getting them house broken does not seem like is going to be an issue at all !!!
They are about 4 months old...

CABRÓN
Hass05.jpg

TESLA
AnnieOakley07.jpg

Blue Heelers are extremely intelligent loyal dogs. They have incredible work drives with huge hearts. Word of caution, though. They're bred as working dogs and if you don't have something for them to do then they'll find something to do on their own and chances are you aren't going to like it. They get bored easily and they can develop some really bad habits...Ask me how I know:mad:

X2 ^^ .. I've had a few over the years. When I was a rig welder and they could go with me everyday... GREAT... When I opened my shop, and didn't go out as much, they got bored and well......The females weren't nearly as bad as the males for causing destruction and mayhem.

Good looking pups BTW.

Good luck MaNu.

J

Telicorob has one who spends a considerable time just screwing off, wandering around and sleeping. I didn't know they could be so energetic. His is totally chill.

Heifer-net

Thanks for the heads up on the blue heeler breed.
I did do my homework and know what they all about .
Truth be told we been looking for one for the past couple of years.
These two just happen to fall on our lap.
The first blue heeler I saw was owned by Philos1 a mudder.
ZERO the doggie was/is very smart.
That doggie complemented Philos1 fj60 very well !!!
I know mine will do just the same !!

I cant believe I have gone over 16 years without a doggie.
My last one was an Orange Doberman Pinscher.

That is a great pic of those doggies at the beach !!!!

Cheers !!!

:beer::beer:

How bad does this breed shed? Next dog will be a Blue Heeler. Do you think 80 acres would be enough for them to run?

How bad does this breed shed? Next dog will be a Blue Heeler. Do you think 80 acres would be enough for them to run?

Can't say about the shedding but giving dogs acreage does not equate to giving them a job to do. But it may provide the space for them to herd cattle or whatever. There's a lot of ways to exercise a dog that doesn't require acreage but giving them room to run, by itself, doesn't do anything to manage the boredom.

How bad does this breed shed? Do you think 80 acres would be enough for them to run?

Shedding has been minimal to almost none...

giving them room to run, by itself, doesn't do anything to manage the boredom.

I agree with this.
Although, it would be nice to have that much land.
I got these two pups on a schedule already and spending time with them to train and keep them occupied is key...
We had them for two weeks now and they already know basic commands like sit, stay, down, and come.
Because they came from a shelter they are a bit skittish, and do better when not wearing a leash, but due to city laws they need to learn.

I am in awe as to how smart these pups are, specially the female.....

Obedience training is great mental stimulation in lieu of 80 acres and a herd of cattle.

Also good dogs for agility, frisbee, cycling, jogging etc.

Ya know, I never leashed my Heeler. Maybe that was "back in the day" but I told folks leashes were for their undisciplined dogs 'cause mine was no problem.

Loved that dog.

Matt I feel the same way...
These guys actually do better without a leash.
He walks on my left and she walks on my right.
They never go ahead of me.
This has been the case since day one...
These little guys rock !!!

I have a different breed but some dogs you cannot trust them off leash due to high prey drive. If a squirrel catches their eye off in the distance, they're gone. It's not just about training and recall, you also have to take into account that some dogs have stronger instincts than others and start chasing before they start thinking. My high prey drive dog has excellent recall and when we are in a larged secured area with no tree rats, then he'll be fine off leash but throw in other hazards and it's just not a good idea. Especially when there's cars around.

I have another dog with low prey drive and excellent recall but sometimes he just doesn't want to listen right away when there's an interesting scent that he's working on. He'll eventually follow but I like to know where he is and don't want him lagging behind. We walk on my schedule, not his. That's why he stays on leash.

That said, I don't think these heelers normally have prey drive issues but I don't know for sure.

I got a good Blue Heeler story. A friend of mine had a male and he wouldn't let anybody get near my friend's four wheeler. He'd growl and snap at you within ten feet of the thing. One day I came around the corner and the heeler was humping one of the tires, on the four wheeler. I understood. :)

That's great news. Those are wonderful dogs. My friend Susan has one that she rides with. The dog can trot for 20 miles along side a horse. Also one of the smartest breeds. It knows 5 or 6 people by name and probably 50 different toys.

Telicorob has one who spends a considerable time just screwing off, wandering around and sleeping. I didn't know they could be so energetic. His is totally chill.

Heifer-net

Here is a pic of him (Jake) from our NewYears run.

2014-01-04 14.01.19.jpg

Heifer-net

2014-01-04 14.01.19.jpg

^^^ nice looking doggie..!!
We are enjoying these two pups so much....
They are officially house broken....
They are starting to do the fetch thing and frisbee..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom