Builds Blue Cruiser Thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

No idea you were going to run 39.5s, this just got interesting. Look forward to seeing it on the trails Chris, nice job!

yeah, this might get a little sporty....figure out how to make it work as I go I suppose

I hope @orion changes his mind about ditching the red 60 so we can have a big group of 60 trail rigs. I’m stepping up to 37’s next year

I’m in favor of that plan!

Also, just to see how I was doing with the welding I did some cutting and etching to see what kind penetration I was getting in 1/4” steel with my 140 Hobart.

In this image it is a single pass on the left and multipass on the right. The left looks pretty good and should stick. Multipass is marginal. One of these days I’ll get a welder with more power....but most of this job can be done with the 140. Was fun to play with the etchant.

View attachment 2515742

The multipass weld issue is a technique issue only. The welder can do it. The single pass weld isn't great technically either, as you haven't fused the root at all, at least not in the etched section.

Get a better welder, or keep practicing! Preferably both :)

The multipass weld issue is a technique issue only. The welder can do it. The single pass weld isn't great technically either, as you haven't fused the root at all, at least not in the etched section.

Get a better welder, or keep practicing! Preferably both :)

agree it’s not great, but with 1/4” plate I’m probably not gonna get much better penetration out of a 140 welder no mater what I do. Good thing is most of what I’m welding to is not that thick. The frame on the 60 is less than 3/16”

I hope @orion changes his mind about ditching the red 60 so we can have a big group of 60 trail rigs. I’m stepping up to 37’s next year

It'll be sweet to see GSMTR '21 with a crew of 60s on 37s and taller.

I would like to be on 42s before GSMTR 2021!

94CE7902-6D12-4BBC-9E26-BDEFD336ACE3.jpeg

I can't wait to buy all the Toyota axles for cheap when all you guys go to tons 😁

@ufg8r Chris any updates on Blue?
Well, yes, I got the rear springs hung where I want them. I also started work on the front end and got the tires on the wheels. I test fit everything and will tack the spring rests on the axles once I get the diffs pointing where I want them. Here is how she rests....

62A32615-8D80-4E67-AB4A-92648C39F323.jpeg

I ended up using my OME front lift springs as is. They have flattened to the point where they don’t provide much lift. The rear is less than 1/2” higher than the front and I am ok with that, it’s actually less than what it was before. I do have a little cruiser lean right now but I think I know where it is coming from and can correct it.

I’m liking how it is going so far, but my progress is always slow....😃

Looks like the rear can move back a bit, it’s time to start cutting those 1/4 panels off.

Looks like the rear can move back a bit, it’s time to start cutting those 1/4 panels off.

it probably can and I have a free hole left to move it back....there will certainly be some metal trimming in my future...😃

For what it’s worth I added about 1/2” to the wheelbase.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom