Builds Blue Cruiser Thread (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Before you get the 63's put in I would step back for a sec and give some consideration to something a bit shorter. After running the 63's for two years now I think the next one I do will get a shorter spring. I would look into the 54/55" Tahoe springs. Still a longer spring then the FJ60 rear so still an upgrade but they aren't as soft and won't stick out as far back. Like you I did the 63's because that's just what everyone does

Before you get the 63's put in I would step back for a sec and give some consideration to something a bit shorter. After running the 63's for two years now I think the next one I do will get a shorter spring. I would look into the 54/55" Tahoe springs. Still a longer spring then the FJ60 rear so still an upgrade but they aren't as soft and won't stick out as far back. Like you I did the 63's because that's just what everyone does

I wondered about this idea. Is it the length out back or the softness that is the bigger detractor?

Already bought the springs so going with what I got. They’ll be long aft of the axle, but should have more range of motion than a shorter spring I suspect. As far as the softness we’ll see how she goes. I got new springs instead of worn junkers so it may help some.

sometimes everyone runs the same set up because it is proven to work....so I’m good with it.

Already bought the springs so going with what I got. They’ll be long aft of the axle, but should have more range of motion than a shorter spring I suspect. As far as the softness we’ll see how she goes. I got new springs instead of worn junkers so it may help some.

sometimes everyone runs the same set up because it is proven to work....so I’m good with it.

They're pretty good springs, but no one tries anything different. Just because something works doesn't mean something else can't work better

...Just because something works doesn't mean something else can't work better

We'll bring this up next time we're discussing why everyone uses a frigging LS :popcorn: :beer:

We'll bring this up next time we're discussing why everyone uses a frigging LS :popcorn: :beer:

You’re not wrong but that’s a much harder argument to win

Since September I’ve got the c-channels fixed. Bought the Trail Tailor kit to save a little time. Not a bad kit, but it’s is a lot of fasteners to replace those rivets and gives a Frankenstein kind of look. I ended up removing a couple fasteners because they interfered with where I needed to mount the rear spring hangers.

563070E9-EE6C-4670-A756-48039926124B.jpeg

welds that replaced the fasteners,...

684D18B9-88A7-4336-BCD2-715FE5D8D8BA.jpeg

I’ve now got the spring hangers tacked in and will weld them in this weekend if I can find the time.

1EB64D32-10D7-4704-8481-B02D348D66DC.jpeg

I added the overload springs back in and that was sound advice...these springs flatten out pretty good and nearly rest on the overloads with the rigs weight on them. Didn’t take a pic but the rear shackles are at about 10 degrees steeper than 45 when it’s under its own weight (55 deg measured from the frame behind them)

Didn’t realize that last pic was before I repositioned the rear spring hangers. In that pic the 60 is under its own weight. it that position the shackle angle was too steep so I moved the hangers forward a bit. Will have to take a picture with them in the right spot.

Also, just to see how I was doing with the welding I did some cutting and etching to see what kind penetration I was getting in 1/4” steel with my 140 Hobart.

In this image it is a single pass on the left and multipass on the right. The left looks pretty good and should stick. Multipass is marginal. One of these days I’ll get a welder with more power....but most of this job can be done with the 140. Was fun to play with the etchant.

29E77932-2ECA-4B97-92E5-A16D474DDC5F.jpeg

And...Santa came early with some 39.5” bias ply iroks. Beadlocks will be here next week.

E2395726-111E-4D31-ABB7-DE59DDA4360A.jpeg

3.5”, went with 17” too instead of 15”

Have some 1.5” spacers on the way too but may or may not run them depending on how things look.

what are you doing for shocks? nice big tires, this will be fun. RIP rear semifloat axles. :lol: Gonna have it done in time for the new years ride?

what are you doing for shocks? nice big tires, this will be fun. RIP rear semifloat axles. :lol: Gonna have it done in time for the new years ride?

Yeah man, have not made a plan on the shocks yet. Waiting until the end. Will be fun to fit those tires and may loose some sheet metal before it’s all over. Probably won’t be done by New Years but would like to finish before March. Some of us may go do Round Up in Texas.

will be interesting to see how she goes with the rear axles and the 4:56 gears. I plan to run what I’ve got on that and see what it’s like. Will upgrade there too if it sucks with the current stuff.

Yeah man, have not made a plan on the shocks yet. Waiting until the end. Will be fun to fit those tires and may loose some sheet metal before it’s all over. Probably won’t be done by New Years but would like to finish before March. Some of us may go do Round Up in Texas.

will be interesting to see how she goes with the rear axles and the 4:56 gears. I plan to run what I’ve got on that and see what it’s like. Will upgrade there too if it sucks with the current stuff.

I forget, you still have the 4-speed? Sounds like it's time for an SM465, 205, and 14 bolt rear. :)

Lol...that escalated quickly...maybe Rockwell’s?

Still have the 4 speed. And I figure this will precipitate some more driveline upgrades, but the wallet will appreciate it if I used the current set up for awhile until I can’t stand it any longer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom