Blown Oil Filter Seal, Oil Sprayed Everywhere (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey everyone,
I was driving in the city at about 20mph when something started reeking of burning oil, so i looked at my oil pressure gauge and watched it very slowly dip down. I pulled in to a parking lot before the needle could go all the way down and shut the car off, engine still ran fine with no funny sounds. Popped the hood and saw oil sprayed all over everything under the hood, steaming off the hot engine. There was a trickle trail of oil from the road to the parking lot and then a puddle formed where i parked as everything dripped off. The failure appeared to be in the right/middle side of the engine bay (from driver’s seat perspective) as there was more oil sprayed in that area and on the right front wheel/right side and middle of the axle. I had it towed home and then had a closer look, where i found that my oil filter seal appears to have failed and popped out on one side of the filter. This is an OEM toyota filter (small YZZD3 one, first time i’ve used it instead of big WIX XP) and i changed the oil 500 miles ago wtih Rotella 15W-40. I suspect I must have failed to tighten down the filter adequately, as I kind of had the suspicion in my mind that I didnt do so right after i changed the oil. I’ve attached a picture of the filter seal popped out. Not sure if it’s just popped out or broke on one side or what. So I will replace the filter tomorrow and add back the oil that was lost, and clean up the engine bay and undercarriage (yay). The questions are: is it possible that anything under the hood got damaged from the spraying of hot oil? What should I check? And it seems clear that the filter gasket failed but is it because i undertightened it or because oil pressure spiked somehow? How should I go about that possibility? I did take it offroading yesterday and went through some pretty deep puddles with adequate speed, if that affects anything. Everything was fine afterwards though. Also, this is a 3FE, not 1UZ.

Thanks in advance for any insight.
B7B9420F-4660-4B87-BC92-48EDD98D5D36.jpeg

My guess is that's the o-ring from the old filter. When you removed the old filter the o-ring stuck to the filter housing and you did not notice before installing the new filter. I had this happen once with an oil and filter. It's an F engine you'll be fine.

My guess is that's the o-ring from the old filter. When you removed the old filter the o-ring stuck to the filter housing and you did not notice before installing the new filter. I had this happen once with an oil and filter. It's an F engine you'll be fine.
Bingo. Stuck to the housing and i didn’t notice it. Replaced filter to be safe and added about 5 quarts of oil that had been lost. Degreased engine bay and undercarriage many times. Evaporating oil is wildly stinky. Runs like nothing ever happened 😎
B694F5A4-29D0-4097-876F-961136EEAB7D.jpeg

Yep, anytime you have a suspected blow out around the seal it is ALWAYS this (old seal stuck to the housing/block). But usually it leaks right away.

I'm surprised it made it 500 miles :steer:

Me too. Usually it creates a 'gusher' right away.

Had it happen on my '90 model Bronco (didn't notice the old seal had stuck in place). It pumped out probably 4 of 7 quarts of oil in the time it took it me to notice it (maybe 30 seconds) at idle.

Disaster avoided!!!!

Good job watching those gauges and driving with all of your senses.

Last edited:
Now that you have experienced this once, it will NEVER happen to you again.

This is now "Wisdom".

Now that you have experienced this once, it will NEVER happen to you again.

This is now "Wisdom".

I concur. I know it happened to me only ONCE....and I have checked every time since that the old gasket did not stay in place.

Got a 'gusher' from a fuel injector too ONE time as a result of me pinching the lower seal when installing the fuel rail (got in a hurry).

Man...what a chore to redo all of that. So yes, chalk it up to a learning experience.

In the OP's case....I knew what the problem was by just reading the title of the thread. Because I've been there and done that myself. :redface:

This is an OEM toyota filter (small YZZD3 one, first time i’ve used it instead of big WIX XP) and i changed the oil 500 miles ago wtih Rotella 15W-40.

So is the offending oil filter gasket from the Wix unit, and if so, has anyone ever had the gasket get stuck to the block with an OEM filter?

Glad to see I’m not alone. Definitely something I will double check every oil change from now on.
So is the offending oil filter gasket from the Wix unit, and if so, has anyone ever had the gasket get stuck to the block with an OEM filter?
Offending gasket is from Wix filter.

Another reason to stay away from em' :poop:
The issue that people have had with the drainback valve failure (i think that’s what it is) is something to be wary of but i get blackstone oil analysis (analysees?) and they offer great filtration. I’ve had good luck with them, but you can’t go wrong with the ol’ reliable YZZD3 that’s 1/3 of the price. I use them now. I have a Wix air filter in right now and I’m impressed with the construction, but it’s hard to mess up an air filter.

The issue that people have had with the drainback valve failure (i think that’s what it is) is something to be wary of but i get blackstone oil analysis (analysees?) and they offer great filtration. I’ve had good luck with them, but you can’t go wrong with the ol’ reliable YZZD3 that’s 1/3 of the price. I use them now.
I'm a few of the remaining OEM crazies that's been using these (wouldn't hesitate to use the YZZD3s).

4E64825F-122C-4D17-A6F8-18175285BF7B.jpeg

Thanks for sharing your situation. I'll keep a paranoid eye on it even with an OEM filter.

Bingo. Stuck to the housing and i didn’t notice it. Replaced filter to be safe and added about 5 quarts of oil that had been lost. Degreased engine bay and undercarriage many times. Evaporating oil is wildly stinky. Runs like nothing ever happened 😎
View attachment 2970721

that's a SMOKING GUN the previous OIL FILTER was a NON-OEM sub par one ............ 🤔

A few decades ago I was riding in my gf's Camaro when a little light came on, looked to me like Aladdins lamp, I didn't have a clue what it was, nor did she.

So we go for drive 30 miles out, 30 miles back, the light stays on, and later that week she took it back to the shop that did the oil change. They found there was only about one quart of oil left in the pan. Reason for the leak, Bingo, they had put a new filter over the old gasket.

That's when I first learned what the "Alladins lamp" was (my old Jalopy didn't have that light), it was/is an old fashioned oil can symbol which we all know now as the Low Oil Level light.

So even an idiot light doesn't save your arse if the idiot (me) doesn't (didn't) know what it means.;)

FWIW

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom