Blown Head Gasket on 2H engine, HELP! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My HJ60 has been my daily driver for 8 years, now it needs a rebuild, (Blue smoke machine out the back). my problem is I am largely priced out of the diesel land cruiser platform, Breaks my heart to say it but doing all the things a have planned over the years now seems unlikely. (12HT) Evan a rebuild is out of reach at the moment (laid off), bay area prices appear to be around 4-5k or more for a full rebuild My options appear to be an attempt to fix on my own, not a rebuild but just a head gasket fix and keep rolling as is, Or sell as is. Obviously selling with a blown head is nonideal but I am interested in the forum opinion.

1987 HJ60
2H engine
ARB bumper
24 volt
5 speed
2.5 in lift
CA title

IMG_2074.JPG

IMG_0201.jpg

Replacing a head gasket on a land cruiser is a rite of passage that every owner should experience. If you don't do it, you're missing out on one of the "joys" of ownership. Don't dread it - look forward to it.
But I know- not everyone has a garage or driveway to work on their car nor the time to do it.

Trying to sell an old cruiser that belches smoke will cost you dearly. If you want to sell it, overhaul the head, get it running, then sell it.

Luckily doing a head gasket is not that bad of a job and it can be done pretty much anywhere. Also There is a running thread on this very task right now...albeit on a 2F: Carburator / Manifold / Head Removal

Luckily doing a head gasket is not that bad of a job and it can be done pretty much anywhere. Also There is a running thread on this very task right now...albeit on a 2F: Carburator / Manifold / Head Removal

Thanks @Seth S for quoting my thread. Before you pull the head off, do a leak down and compression test. That will at least give you some indicator of block / head conditions before you take it apart. The job is tedious but not all that difficult. You need a friend to help take the head off. To give you an idea if you follow my walkthrough - should take something like 4-5hrs or so to get the head off. If it is your first time may take longer.

I got my new head gasket from city racer. I also went with a remflex manifold gasket. Look at is an an opportunity to clean up a bunch of stuff under the hood. If you tackle this project I also suggest you change out all coolant lines while you are at it if you have not done so recently. Some are much easier to get to with the head out of the way. Toyota does not make a number of the smaller hoses but I have had success with Napa for replacement hoses (some are trim to fit so don't toss your old ones). Good luck and post up with any questions.

Are you sure its a head issue.. are you pushing out coolant or losing coolant or oil? If not (and in the absence of a compression test) you should consider a blown leather diaphragm in the injection pump which causes massive overfuelling, an easy fix. I know you said 'blue'.. but if its leaning towards white it would be further evidence.

Anyhow.. you may be all over it and be quite confident with the diagnosis.. just checking though.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies/advice. I have ordered the gasket kit from cruiser parts and plan on taking on the challenge, I will definitely check to see if the leather diaphragm is ok along the way, not having any issues with idle so I assume I am in good shape there.

Any updates on this? How’d everything go?

I may need to do this soon so I’d love to hear your experience

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom