BJ73 bumper (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
attached is my first attempt to build a front bumper on my 85 BJ73. I must say that I am on the fence on rather I should proceed on, or scrap it out for version 2.

The engineering nerd in me mandates that this bumper must be pretty light to minimize the weight on the front.

What are the thoughts from the Cruiser guru's? Thx!

image_50434817.JPG

Looks quite good! Congrats!
Most important question in order to answer yours - what purpose do you want your bumper to serve? Protection in case of animal collision? (If so, definitely make it beefier). Scuffs from parking? Looks? Rock-crawling? What works well for one purpose might not be ideal for another...

attached is my first attempt to build a front bumper on my 85 BJ73. I must say that I am on the fence on rather I should proceed on, or scrap it out for version 2.

The engineering nerd in me mandates that this bumper must be pretty light to minimize the weight on the front.

View attachment 3456419
My first consideration is always:
1. Serviceability - it needs to do the job
2. Durability - it needs to last thhroigh whatever I throw at it
3. Nice to haves - accessories, options, aesthetics, weight, etc

I realize these are heavy... and shaving some weight here and there is desirable, but when you are already talking about a vehicle that weighs over 2 tons, I wouldn't worry about it too much

Very cool, I’ll echo what others say. What do you want the bumper for? Deer strikes? Rock crawl? Parking lot?

Also I’m a little less than an hour north of you, would be cool to meet up and grab a 🍺

bumpers are too subjective, i could pick it apart aesthetically but its going to be on your truck so are you happy with the way it looks?
For me, winch and recovery points are the most important parts of the bumper, followed by approach angle and following the body lines.
Next is I dont like a large flat face on the front, or squared off corners everywhere, thats why i went with this one

IMG_20230410_145115.jpg

thanks for the input folks! I agree with all said, just wanted to verify that my pea brain is not totally off in left field.

If anyone would like the beast of a front bumper that was originally on this BJ (pic attached), you are welcome to it. Just cover the shipping.

image_50742785.JPG

I built this bumper out of 6061 Aluminum. It's holds a winch. It uses factory tow points bolted through the frame horns. It follows the body lines. It has a subtle hoop that does not disturb illumination of air going to the rad. It leaves lots of clearance for the front tires to drive up obstacles, but still protects the front fenders.

Aluminum Bumper.jpg

To your build:
Looks really well made. As said by others: Whats the primary purpose you are about?
Having those lights build into the bumper looks cool, but think about what will happen if those shall be replaced one day (for whatever reason). Unlikely the holes would fit for any other light.
Think about reinforcements for recovery points and think about space for a winch (regardless whether you want to have one right now).
Not visible in the pic, but also think about how the bumper is mounted and whether the mounting is good to properly direct the forces from recovery points and winch into the frame.
Design is all about personal preferences.
Cheers Ralf

My thoughts, in order:
  1. I like the upper contour and the minimal projection; it fits pretty well for a full-width.
  2. I don't like the LED flush-mounts directly in the frontal strike zone.
  3. Is there any structure aside from the flat bottom plate of the bumper on the bottom portion of the license plate recess? Any sort of geometric reinforcement planned, there? It looks a bit unbalanced from the top, and I'm a little concerned about an unbraced edge being at ground zero for a rock strike.
  4. Recovery points? Winch provision?
  5. Welds look like they're solid. Good penetration, at the very least, and what they display about the substructure is encouraging.
  6. Are you going to fill in the remaining lower portions to either side of the plate recess? Those are also high-risk for an impact, and without a flat surface underneath they can snag and hang you on a rock.
It's a solid effort, overall, so I don't want this to come across as nitpicking; just trying to express what I'm thinking about how that bumper is going to act when you put it to use.

Behemoth - I am in awe over your craftsmanship. You must know your way around a TIG torch. That looks outstanding!

Ralf - many thx for your input. Our rigs are very similar and I have been following your write ups. Always great reading.

Sundowner - digging your great honest input. I have been following your postings as well. Very entertaining.

FJben - A beer is definitely in order. I have been wanting to visit with you for a while. I would like to discuss my Cummins powered fj40 with you.

Still pondering this bumper. Honestly my BJ73 is going to be pretty much in semi retirement, so not too concerned about crawling needs. Although I am implementing a couple of hooks on the frame just in case I need to yank on it. With the 3Bii driveline I am not going to be setting any land speed records.

appreciate the replies!

Honestly my BJ73 is going to be pretty much in semi retirement, so not too concerned about crawling needs.

Some of the worst damage I've ever caused/suffered came on a forest road that got a little more untamed than anyone expected; ended up with a very slushy miring, some broken suspension bits and a bumper that was no longer usable. Lesson: be prepared.

Although I am implementing a couple of shackle mounts in line with the frame just in case I need to yank on it.

Fixed it for you. 😘

View attachment 3456419
Wow! Looks like you’ve made amazing progress with the truck!

Front center section would look less bulky if you cut the lower 1/3 section and angle it towards the front axle.

The license plate will "self-clearance" over time. :) Or mount it higher.

Some States are allowing vinyl wrap front plates that contour to body panels.

rs=w:365,h:365,cg:true,m

I built this bumper out of 6061 Aluminum. It's holds a winch. It uses factory tow points bolted through the frame horns. It follows the body lines. It has a subtle hoop that does not disturb illumination of air going to the rad. It leaves lots of clearance for the front tires to drive up obstacles, but still protects the front fenders.

View attachment 3456555
You going to stick an 8274 on there or something different? I’m back by the 16th, I’ll get over for a visit
when I get there. J

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom