BJ71 Transfer case rebuild (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My Transfer case is shot and making very bad noises and there is a little more play in the output shafts than i like to see (in that there is any). Im going to do a rebuild in the very near future.
My question is can this be done on the vehicle or do i have to pull the transmission??

cheers

tony

Seems to me that you wouldn't really have to touch the transmission other than disconnecting the T-case from it. I would think it would be much easier to just pull the T-case out and work on it on a bench. Some cases you can split while one half is stays attached to the truck. I'm not sure about your application though. Maybe someone else here knows? :D

since it is a 2 piece you need to disassemble the unit. by the time you have the back half off and the guts removed you only have 3 17mm left to remove the front half so i would say pull the front half off, it makes getting the front output bearing out easier...
make sure you drain the tranny before starting this since once you remove the front half the fluid will come out anyway.
just my suggestion

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom