BJ71 1987 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

@lt403 This could be a good option, if you don't mind the price. You're definitely paying a dealer-premium here. If this were to be sold by a member here on mud, it would probably be at least 10k less.

That being said, the body and interior look fine, and the 13-BT is well-regarded on here. Frame/axles look repainted. Not sure how it is mechanically, need a test drive. Looks like you'll need to factor in getting a new battery and wheels...

Here is your vehicle info based on the VIN from their website:

Market
Europe
Year
11/1986
Make
TOYOTA
Model
LAND CRUISER
Frame
BJ71

Vehicle characteristics
GRADE:LX:LX TYPE
DESTINATION:EUR:EUROPE
BODY:HT:HARDTOP
DRIVER'S POSITION:LHD:LEFT-HAND DRIVE
ENGINE:13BT:3400CC DIESEL TURBO
FUEL SYSTEM:TD:TURBO DIESEL
BUILDING CONDITION:CBU:COMPLETELY BUILT UNIT

I didn’t test drive the vehicle, just don’t know if 35k or even 30k would be wisely spent.
I could get a much newer landcruiser or LX for that price.
And for a little more the new landcruiser in a few months.
Going to see some 73 models this week here in miami

I didn’t test drive the vehicle, just don’t know if 35k or even 30k would be wisely spent.
I could get a much newer landcruiser or LX for that price.
And for a little more the new landcruiser in a few months.
Going to see some 73 models this week here in miami
I mean, it doesn't look glaringly bad. The price seems like a typical "classics dealer" price. Don't try to ask them anything technical because they probably don't know what they're trying to sell. I would say you should only consider this if the price is swallow-able and you also specifically want this, instead of something else. They have an HJ61 on their site as well with a price tag of $45k!! I personally wouldn't look to "dealers" for these vehicles, if you want to bring value to your dollar.

If you have specific questions I'm sure they can be answered. But is this a good deal? Maybe, but probably not.

Well it would be a pass for me at that price easily, but I’m cheap and poor so luckily I’m good looking so I don’t have the trifecta :rofl:

Anyways it looks super clean…too clean. It’s been repainted so I’m not sure being sold as that? Easy tell is the paint difference here under hood vs how nice outside it is.

2BF2A3BC-04AE-4C32-BF67-9D77BAA5D496.jpeg

So personally I’d need to see a ton of before pictures to see how this bodywork was done.
Europe cruisers tend to be crusty, and underneath and engine show some crusty but pretty solid.

The engine pics have brake masters painted, and clutch masters and others things painted which tells me they weren’t replaced. They may last 2 years, maybe 2 months.

All this leads me to believe it was refreshed to look really nice without actually fixing or repairing a lot. I could be wrong but looking at the parts not much has been changed outside of painting everything.

The bigger issue is you mentioning you could get a newer rig for that price or not far off from new. I think you would be thoroughly disappointed if you are shopping 73/74s vs newer models. 70 series are slow poor handling loud smelly tractors that will require maintenance along with the complications of never being sold in the US. We have great vendor support but it’s still an inconvenience.

Now if you want a cool cruiser and you don’t care about the negatives of owning a 70 in the US then jump in right in with the crazies. Only the FJ55 owners are more unhinged.

This one, I would pass on or at least get that price a chunk lower.

Hello
My opinion:
The vehicle has been pimped up and repainted to primarily look nice. Optical parts (e.g. door catches, shift lever boots) have been replaced. Paintjob looks OK.
It has been looking much worse before, I guess. The carpet (holes in it and stain that I suspect to be rust), seat consoles (rust where paint is gone, fully rusted springs), rear light frames, hub dials (all badly scratched), inner wheel wells, drive-shafts (rust, rusted nuts, obviously hasn't been out for a long time), steering linkage (scratches from pipe wrench, so obviously was seized up): All that are telltale of a rather hard life.
I don't think the odo teller shows a ligit figure. I guess at least 100k km, maybe 200k km are 'missing'.
Not much was done in technical terms:
Some hoses replaced with what appeares to had been at hand. Gaffatape, really? Too big non-automotive hoseclamps all over the place. (The originals usually can be cleaned and reused, though; even worked on my 320k km BJ73 from 1985. Not done. Obviously no love invested, or they where really badly rusted.)
Battery clamps are mangled, wiring not original, I do not see fusible links?
It was made sure it runs for some time, but I doubt any thorough basic maintenance was done.
Underbody was cleaned, but nothing was done to it. Suspension and axles painted, steering gear was overhauled.
The pic with the wheel well and the exhaust pipe, left bottom corner: Is that even rust?
The underbody coating in the wheel wells is all brittle and partially gone. My 320k km BJ73 from 1985 looked better there.

Bonus: Interior complete and nice. Exterior nice. No evidence on the quality of the bodywork underneath, though, but at least the door edges and drain holes look ligit.

Mechanical acceptable base, but I'd expect extra investment to be required, as I suspect a much higher milage.

For that ask price, I won't buy it blind / based on pics only.
Bodywork to be checked with magnet and paint thickness gauge. Some covers to be removed to take a glimpse into cavities. A closer look into the frame rails and crossmember tubes.
Engine pressure test, engine 'soundcheck', testdrive, brake inspection & -test, closer look on the harness (no pics and battery connections don't look promising) and on brakelines and fuellines, tank.

Good Luck Ralf

Hello,

The truck looks good on the surface. As it is mentioned above, perhaps it is too clean to be true.

There are corrosion spots here and there, despite the paint job.

Three details make me wonder about what lurks below the paint job, namely
  1. The suspension seat mechanism has rust on it.
  2. The rear gutter looks too clean.
  3. Wheel wells look suspicious.
  4. The shafts have corrosion, whereas the rest of the drive train looks resprayed.
I would take the mat out to have a look. I would have a detailed look at all the sprayed parts. And I would negotiate the price.

Juan

And the gutters, rust spot outside on the top and inside along doors.
Will only get worst
A small body part missing at the back bellow right side door (arch shape gusset) I think it been repainted too. At that price, should come with an historic of what have been done. Now it is clear work done was to increase value.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom