BJ70 3B Alternator Part # (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Learned today that my son's alternator is bad in his 85 BJ70 with a 3B. I've been looking around for part numbers, but there are quite a few. Does anyone have the right part number? There are quite a few that start with 27020-XXXXX. I will say that I'm not 100% sure if it is a 12V or 24V. It does have two batteries but that doesn't necessarily mean 24V, correct? How would I tell if it is a 24V System? The next question would be are these still available and is there a replacement? Thanks for the help.

In my 24V truck the 2 batteries are next to each other.
The pos terminal of one them connects directly to the neg of the other.

If you can find a starter/ alternator rebuild shop they just might have what you need. Look for one of those back alley shops run buy an old guy.

HI
In that period the BJ7# 3B usually were 24V. The position of the batteries is no indication, though.
If a cable connects positive with negative between the two batteries (serial), its 24V.
There were three alternators for YoM 1984-1988 24V:
2702056230 25A
2702056310 30A
and 2702056320 30A, which was used on the 13BT and models with powersteering.
I suggest to get the alternator out and check the plate on it, which should tell details.
The 25A model apparently is available from DENKI, still. All others models apparently are discontinued.
So, finding a shop who can rebuild it is a good advice.
Good luck Ralf

Learned today that my son's alternator is bad in his 85 BJ70 with a 3B. I've been looking around for part numbers, but there are quite a few. Does anyone have the right part number? There are quite a few that start with 27020-XXXXX. I will say that I'm not 100% sure if it is a 12V or 24V. It does have two batteries but that doesn't necessarily mean 24V, correct? How would I tell if it is a 24V System? The next question would be are these still available and is there a replacement? Thanks for the help.

If you can find a starter/ alternator rebuild shop they just might have what you need. Look for one of those back alley shops run buy an old guy.

As Squash said, a good local shop should be able to handle rebuilding/repairing your son's alternator. The guy at my local shop said after the rebuild that the consumable internals in the Toyota alternator were standard stock parts for him so the rebuild was nothing special. The vacuum pump was typical to what he had worked with on other alternators for diesels.

If you want to use this as an opportunity for a major refresh for the alternator, Mosley motors offers the spa treatment for 24V alternators too.

Good luck.

I had the same unit, same year Canadian spec 12 volt.

So, wrestled that bugger off today. I've never seen an alternator tied into the oil filter......

It looks like the P/N is 27040-56030 (12V).

I've looked and cannot find this new anywhere. I put an inquiry into Mosely for a rebuild and one other shop in MI. It is Sunday, so I haven't had any luck with local shops. Does anyone know of a place I can send this for a rebuild?

I ran all over central VA and up into MD with my 24V alt with no luck.
Bastards in Fredericksburg kept it 2 weeks only to tell me they were afraid to open it up since it was antique.
You could call White Post Restorations. They do brake hydraulics as a side business. They might have an electrical only person.

Shipped mine to Michigan. Auto Electrical Restoration Experts | Precision Power | Lansing MI - https://www.precision-pwr.com/

Turned out, it had a blown winding and Precision re-wound it for me, checked/replaced brushes, bearings, etc.
I highly recommend them as the kind of “can-do” shop that used to be common in the States.

Thanks for the recommendation. Just called them. They said it would be 5-8 wk turnaround. Yikes. But, sounds like they can get 'er done.

Land Cruiser Heaven in Hagerstown also asked me to bring it by to take a look. They also have used, working take offs, from Dubai that they can sale.

Update and question - got a new alternator and put it in after a little modification. But now my rig won’t start. I might have a bad fusible link. This doesn’t look to be stock. Does anyone know where to get this replacement link? It does not look like a OEM 3b??

A3783351-E1F5-4078-BA75-AEB6060E7115.jpeg

Battery fully charged?

There are options, mines not pretty just wired in two 30amp fuses in place. Worked fine for me the past 2 years since when I blew my fusible link

Update and question - got a new alternator and put it in after a little modification. But now my rig won’t start. I might have a bad fusible link. This doesn’t look to be stock. Does anyone know where to get this replacement link? It does not look like a OEM 3b??

View attachment 3202962

@ToyotaMatt can probably make/re-create you a new fusible link. He has most if not all of the OEM components plugs etc, and know how to do it. He has my old 3b fusible link to use as a model, but I had a different green connector. I'm sure he can make it happen if you reach out to him.

Or as others mentioned generic fusible links/work arounds are out there.

View attachment 3202962

that IS a factory TOYOTA original fusible links set up .....

i have ALL needed OEM electrical parts to whip one or more out for you

i have seen this set up before , buy its been a while for sure ...

DO NOT simply install any silly MAXI blade fuses as a sustitute here , oem yazaki fusible link wire is a unique thing and meant to do what it does

it puzzles me why toyota had so many varieties but now has NO resources to repair them at all ?

PM me please

thanks

Here is a tech images example only of what to expect ,

You a have the later 2 pin fusible links. Connector this is the early double connectors version

All parts oem japan spec yazaki and Toyota Genuine service parts too all made by yazaki for Toyota

I create a kit form end product that sets you up for success because nothing else matters except that ….

99% of time the harness side adjoining parts any of them are compromised from age and time. So this philosophy is factor focus points is the why behind all that JDM jaZZ …

You also get a very very special pos. Battery flexible soft rubber non USA boot , because it prevents someone who is a bit dim , from installing jumper cables in reverse order , hence blowing up my work

I don’t like my handy work being blown up my the dim….

And YES it has happened more than once …

After the incorporation of the OEM special service boot cover
With its double sided fusible links exit door openings ,

That monkey 🙉 business Rarely occurs…

E36BF447-8253-4A3D-9635-0EE9B74516FA.jpeg
F0F4D3ED-2025-44D9-8E87-676B0736F388.jpeg
CE8BBD87-7BAB-4596-94A8-8DF9104ADA01.jpeg

Last edited:
Saga continues….

Bought a new 12v alternator from cruiser parts in NH. Installed and wouldn’t start. Took to Lance at iron pig. Tested alternator and putting out 36v. Vehicle starts but will blow engine fuse.

So, I either need a new alternator or is there a way to externally regulate this alternator?

Any other good ideas? I’ve looked and looked and looked for a drop in replacement with no luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom