BJ42 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi Everyone,

New to this forum so this question may have been answered already. I have a 1982 BJ42 with a 5speed 3B. The engine is badly dusted, I am able to get a decent 2H engine for the right price. Has anyone done this conversion? The same guy with the 2H engine has an old rusty 60 series less engine and gearbox, diffs are good, are these worth salvaging?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Welcome aboard. Considering the conversions guys on 'mud do, your conversion is pretty easy. Purists will try to diesel-shame you into keeping the rig a 'BJ', but a guys gotta do what a guys gotta do.

Pictures will give you credibility :)

how bad is your 3b ,it's probably easier to repair or rebuild it than doing a swap.
if you go for the 2h you will need to work on : engine mounts , exhaust , different h55 input shaft , some electrical wiring, fuel line and more

Last edited:
Interesting a 82 with five speed. Is it 10/82 or newer? Being your in Australia the 2H is going to be a lot more common than a 3B. As for the input shaft if I were in Australia I start my conversion and keep a eye out for a five speed from a HJ60/HJ70 or FJ70/HJ70 then change the top cover. If it's not from a 40 series five speeds are cheap over there.

As for the 60 series guess it would depend on the shape year and model. Would love a full floater rear for my FJ62. Next time I have something shipped over may try to get one. You get everything we want. No five speeds were imported here. Standard over there.

X3 on pictures.

Several years ago I looked at rebuilding a thrashed 3B here in the States and it was NOT cheap, and was the reason the 40 became a parts rig. You may have better access to diesel parts or a good, used 3B down under.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom