BJ40 '79 restoration, alu teseven body & 1HD-T swap (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Thanks for that. Indeed ive done some race cars in the past.
Btw i scored a hj45 last week. Ex falck fire and rescue truck. It hasnt been touched by anyone attempting to restore it so thats great news. This on will get the full blown restauration one day. Not a restomod. Last time it drove it was at falck in denmark. Odo says 45k kms. The engine runs super great and the car had been maintained well. Im really happy with it and my 5 year old boy is over the moon :) :)

IMG_6332.JPG

So I need to clarify why I havent updated this post for so lang. I've moved houses and had a huge house rebuild for 2,5 years. Still not done btw.
In the meantime the LandCruiser project has been standing still all the time. But now, there is some time again to work on cars! So here is an update. So its running and I want to get it prepared to go on the road again. Still a hell of a lot to do before its actually road legal. But my plan is to get it somewhere roadlegal this year.

I've sprayed the car myself. The result is ok, not perfect. Good enough. The inside has been raptorlined. Also the rollcage is raptor lined in black.

IMG_6751.JPG

IMG_6760.JPG

IMG_6765.JPG

As promised some detailed shots of the softtop fabrication.
I've used the fabric Sonnenland, which is a very nice fabric. It has a rubber core and a black linnen inner and outer skin. So I bought 7 meters x 1,5 meters of the stuff.
The windows are thick and scratch resistent Renolit PVC 1 mm thickness with a green tint.
The yarn is also a UV resistant material called Serabond. Its waterresistant and UV resistant.
This was the first time I actually sat down behind the sewing machine, lol. No prior experience. I did use a semi pro machine Durkop Adler 69.
I've sewn the top with roll up style windows in the sides and the rear window.
for the fasteners to the body I used Locx tennax black.
For the fixture of the top to the front and sides windows I fabricated steel channels. Basically I've folded the trim with the right angles and made it fit the curvature of the front windscreen. Along the top of the door and the b-pillar is also a slide in channel. The softrtop has a rubber 5 mm string sewn in. So you slide in the top in those channels.
So here the result:

IMG_0190.jpeg

IMG_0074.jpeg

IMG_0090.jpeg

IMG_0179.jpeg

IMG_0183.jpeg

Some pics of the frame. I fabricated that from 30mm chromo pipe. Made a slight radius on the main hoops with the 3wheel bender and the 90 degree angles on the jd2 bender. I liked to have the radius just because it looks better and helps the rain drip of the softtop.

Schermafbeelding 2022-03-22 om 19.25.25.png

Schermafbeelding 2022-03-22 om 19.25.16.png

Ok next subject; the rear wheel carrier with swingout.
So designed it in CAD, send out the brackets to be CNC cut, Bend some more 40 mm chrome for the tire carrier, welded it all up with some beefy bearings to use as hinges. Also made a locking lever with a cam profile.

Schermafbeelding 2022-03-22 om 19.24.43.png

Schermafbeelding 2022-03-22 om 19.24.54.png

IMG_0822.jpeg

IMG_0833.jpeg

IMG_0897.jpeg

Next subject; Seats!!!!
First I bought a set of BMW 1 series seats. However I found these not good enough :p. I like sport seats that hug you, so I sourced some bmw sport seats. However these were cloth and I like leather with alcantara. So the missus decided she would re-upholster them.

IMG_1104.jpeg

IMG_1102.jpeg

IMG_1261.jpeg

IMG_1388.jpeg

IMG_1389.jpeg

Next up; Doorcards!!!
So these are built from scratch. I had some hardbord lying around, so cut to shape, added new retaining clips. Marked up the leather and made some detailed stiching in them. Glued it all up with some 1 mm soft rubbery foam in between and voila. Result:

IMG_0992.jpeg

IMG_0998.jpeg

IMG_0999.jpeg

IMG_1015.jpeg

IMG_1030.jpeg

Next subject: winch and grill.
So the grille I designed myself, had it watercut and powdercoated.

Restored the heater housing.

The winch is a project thatts still on the backlog. I need to fab a mounting bracket. At least its a nice example with new rope and motor.

IMG_1781.jpeg

IMG_1696.jpeg

IMG_1734.jpeg

31B9D17C-B206-46FF-A854-8CE81BE1A70C.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom