Birfs (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Anyone know a reputable mechanic in the Northern NJ or NYC area to do a birfield job? I just don't trust my regular guy to do a superior job, especially since he's never done it before. Dare I take it to the stealership?

Yes I would highly recommend you do it yourself. I paid for my 1st birf job(HUGE MISTAKE) had to re do the birf job when I installed my lockers I kicked myself for wasting so much money.

Get the Birf DVD, would help.

I bought the birf DVD and plan on doing mine when I swap thirds next weekend to put lockers in. The DVD really gives you a bunch of confidence along with your FSM. I say do it yourself along with Biff. :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Get the FSM if you don't already have it, read and print out the tech links available here at mud on how to do it, find a garage and do it yourself. It will be rewarding and you also will know that it was done right. There are lots of smart fella's up your way who would probably be more than willing to help.

Joe,

Call CDan for the parts. He'll set you up with the right bits.

I'm in the Flemington area (just a wee bit south) and would be happy to help you with it if you wanted to bring it down this way. I've only done it once, but it really is a see one, do one, teach one operation so long as nothing breaks or goes terribly wrong. :rolleyes:

Joe,

I'm about to tackle the birf myself, after being convinced by the threads on this board that it is not a difficult job.

Jim's DVD gives you any remaining confidence you may think you lack!

new2mud said:
Joe,I'm about to tackle the birf myself, after being convinced by the threads on this board that it is not a difficult job.
Jim's DVD gives you any remaining confidence you may think you lack!

But please don't try this without the FSM....our DVD was never intended to replace having that on hand. I think the best thing the DVD offers is a look at what you are getting into and that it is not rocket science. IMO, the hardest part is banging those races in and out.

elmariachi said:
But please don't try this without the FSM....our DVD was never intended to replace having that on hand. I think the best thing the DVD offers is a look at what you are getting into and that it is not rocket science. IMO, the hardest part is banging those races in and out.

Jim, thanks to you an Tim for making the DVD just the same. Indeed...it is helpful to have something to look at.

I'm going to tackle mine next weekend. Its helpful to make a list of the torque figures for everything on a separate sheet of paper (saves alot of searching in the FSM) when you have greasy hands.

I'm going to try to use my ball joint press to install the races for the trunnion bearings, it won't take long to determine if that is a mistake or not.

As you say....its not really Rocket Surgery! Just messy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom