Birfield rebuild (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Thoughts an these die grinder marks? Just a poor casting or a PO mod?
20201128_110033.jpg
20201128_110011.jpg

Those marks look like they are from a birfield. what does the birf look like?

PO opened up the mouth of the knuckle to allow a later model birf to be installed, probably happened during a disc brake upgrade.

That would be my thoughts without knowing if you have disc brakes or what year your rig is.

When you removed the lockout, did it have a snap ring on the end of the birfield? I dont think they're grinder marks. They appear deep in the ball, the marks are the same depth or deeper in the ball. The scoring looks like the birf was rubbing the inside of the ball. My guess it was run without the snap ring and the birf slid in towards the diff. It probably wobbled slightly too. It could be a compromised birf, but doubt it.

Another guess, if it's just one side, damage from a blown birefield that's since been replaced.

When you removed the lockout, did it have a snap ring on the end of the birfield? I dont think they're grinder marks. They appear deep in the ball, the marks are the same depth or deeper in the ball. The scoring looks like the birf was rubbing the inside of the ball. My guess it was run without the snap ring and the birf slid in towards the diff. It probably wobbled slightly too. It could be a compromised birf, but doubt it.
Snap rings where in place, one thing that is hard to see in pics is that the cuts are not centric, as in they where cut in on axis. They can be as much as 15 degrees offset from themselves. Definitely man made.

Snap rings where in place, one thing that is hard to see in pics is that the cuts are not centric, as in they where cut in on axis. They can be as much as 15 degrees offset from themselves. Definitely man made.
OK.

Steamer could be right. Maybe from a broken birf, then a po tried to clean up the ball with a small grinder or burr. I dont think it s a factory thing. Either way it doesn't really matter.

OK.

Steamer could be right. Maybe from a broken birf, then a po tried to clean up the ball with a small grinder or burr. I dont think it s a factory thing. Either way it doesn't really matter.
Didn't think so but wanted to check.

20201128_105922.jpg
20201128_105928.jpg
20201128_105911.jpg
20201128_105832.jpg
20201128_105840.jpg
All parts blasted and now for 2 good coats of POR15. May just go ahead and replace the locking hubs as after blasting with walnut shell realized the original chrome plating on the rotator knob was mostly peeled off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom