Big Bend or PINS Trip In September or October (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

i will pack in the morning, Yes, we can meet at 9am, @TexFJ, where are you coming from?

Good trip. Grumpy park rangers didn’t stop us.

Good trip. Grumpy park rangers didn’t stop us.

Great video, looks like the sand was good to drive on. I hope to make it on the next one.

Here’s a couple

8A3D1E48-4B2F-454D-BC80-ABA4C499B56E.jpeg

761381B9-7E6D-43E8-A411-4195138D8350.jpeg

Looks like a ton of fun. Soooooo sorry I couldn't make it. My LX is down for the count for a while. Saw it this morning for the first time and the engine is completely disassembled. Actually pretty impressive to see a 2UZ completely torn down into its constituent pieces. Hopefully the rig will be back up and running in a few weeks and I'll be able to join in on future expeditions :)

Looks like a ton of fun. Soooooo sorry I couldn't make it. My LX is down for the count for a while. Saw it this morning for the first time and the engine is completely disassembled. Actually pretty impressive to see a 2UZ completely torn down into its constituent pieces. Hopefully the rig will be back up and running in a few weeks and I'll be able to join in on future expeditions :)

We had a great time despite not being able to camp on the beach... Missed you and the others Gary. Hope your LX gets fixed correctly and that the dealership stands by their mistake and do the right thing. I am ready for another trip anywhere.

We had a great time despite not being able to camp on the beach... Missed you and the others Gary. Hope your LX gets fixed correctly and that the dealership stands by their mistake and do the right thing. I am ready for another trip anywhere.

You didn't camp? did you guys make it to mile 60?

You didn't camp? did you guys make it to mile 60?

Mike, beach overnight camping was still not open but we did drive to the end for the day, came back out and camped a Malequite beach.

What happened to Genes LX?

Took a while to get there but very enjoyable...

What happened to Genes LX?

Not sure yet. Motor is completely disassembled as they try and assess where the coolant leak is occurring. Long story short: a Toyota dealer in Austin did my steering rack back in January, failed to put any coolant back in the system (lower coolant lines removed and system drained when the rack job is done per the FSM), they test drove it and then let me drive away with no coolant....massive and rapid overheat (260degrees indicated on the Scangauge...would have been air temp as no coolant was present) no steam and was able to remove the cap after 30 minutes to the sound of rushing air and zero spray of any kind (very, VERY bad sign).....towed it back to dealer who then "topped" off coolant with 15 quarts (16.2 max capacity) and installed a new thermostat (claimed my thermostat failed in the closed position and trapped all the coolant in the heater core (most ridiculous excuse I have ever heard in ANY situation). Been driving for months monitoring temps which were running a little high (higher the faster I went or when the engine was under load. Pressure tested the cooling system and saw a 7psi drop in 40 minutes with no external leaks anywhere. Port side cylinder pressures back to front (7,5,3,1) = 230, 220, 210, 190. Starboard side cylinders back to front (8,6,4,2) = 230, 220, 200, 210. Those are all BAAAAD signs. No cylinder scoring, so that's good. But, could be a warped heads or even damaged block. Don't know as of yet. Could be new head gaskets, could be new heads, could be a new short block....no one knows just yet. In any case, the dealer is covering it. That's really all the details I can provide until it's ultimately resolved. Could be weeks to months. Until then, I'm in Toyota Rav4 :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom