BFG KO3 vs DEFENDER LTX M/S2 on RW (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've been running KO2 DTs for last 125k miles, lately running at 58psi. Ride is nice but would like something a bit softer/highway friendly lately. I haven't been offroading as much lately but still like running things over at speed. A ford friend recommended Nitto Ridge Grapplers. This is a good weekend to order tires so debating what LT tire to order. After 2-3 sets of KO2s thinking to go more touring friendly for cross country trips. Not finding to many LT tires with load range C. I put Michelins load range C on my 100 and loved them. I don't think KO3 DTs exist.

Curious why you're running 58psi? I don't think any other variable is going to make a difference in ride quality if you're needing to run that high of pressure?

38 psi was too low for DT tires for sure. Between 48-54psi is sweet spot based on my experiments. After 52 psi tires stands alot taller, feels almost an inch taller but probably less.

Last edited:
Might want to check out the Kenda Klever r/t. I just replaced my KO2s with them. I found the Kendas were super on the highway--smooth and quiet with a real ability to carve through the switchbacks. And yet, amazingly, they clawed through offroad terrain even better than the KO2s. The Kendas also handled the rain and wet really well. (Can't speak to winter conditions yet though). Somehow Kenda made a tire that, for me at least, is better both on road and offroad than the KO2 was.

Might want to check out the Kenda Klever r/t. I just replaced my KO2s with them. I found the Kendas were super on the highway--smooth and quiet with a real ability to carve through the switchbacks. And yet, amazingly, they clawed through offroad terrain even better than the KO2s. The Kendas also handled the rain and wet really well. (Can't speak to winter conditions yet though). Somehow Kenda made a tire that, for me at least, is better both on road and offroad than the KO2 was.
Thanks for responding, I am looking into them but might go AT2 for $150/ea, they look like they wear out faster than michelins. Ive gotten used to DT tires which lasted 2-3x longer. I do have an extra 5 brand new RW wheels lying around may mount the Kendas on them instead.

Curious why you're running 58psi? I don't think any other variable is going to make a difference in ride quality if you're needing to run that high of pressure?
This ^^^^^. For something softer/highway friendly, just LTP (lower the pressure).

Even with the lower tire pressure its still firmer to my liking, have chronic back issues that I didn't have before. I think I need to go to Load C/D tires but hard to find in 285/70R17.

I have had 1 previous set of KO2s in load C and current in load E and feel zero difference in daily on-road driving (stock suspension) between them. I hear many people comment they can tell the difference but they feel the same to me.

I have had 1 previous set of KO2s in load C and current in load E and feel zero difference in daily on-road driving (stock suspension) between them. I hear many people comment they can tell the difference but they feel the same to me.
Do you have Lexus or Land Cruiser there is a BIG difference between them in this regard. AHC is really cool feature that disconnects one from the road.

On my GX, I had both the C and E load range KO2s in the 285/70R17 size. The two noticeable differences were the C were much more squirmy at 50 PSI when towing a 6000 lb trailer compared to E at the same PSI and then when aired down to 18 PSI off road, the C were also much softer. At normal highway PSI, I couldn't tell a difference though I hoped the lower weight of the C would make a difference in ride and MPG.

Last edited:
Nokian is supposed to have an A/T tire in 285/70-17 . I know the Falken A/T and M/T tires are available in a C load range and an E range

I ran 285/55/20 KO2s load range D on my 08LX, and while I really liked them, I found them a bit rough. On my 18LX I am running Toyo AT3 285/70/17 in load range C on RWs. I am very happy with this tire - much smoother and quieter than the KO2, and a bit better gas mileage too.

Do you guys use the 6 psi "rule"? 50+psi is something I doubt many if any Cruisers are using in Aus. My OEM Dunlops (AT but really only for highway) are run at 40 or 44 cold for the rears when towing; my Cooper STT Max's a similar range. (I do have a ARB GVM increase and on a long outback trip will be well loaded!) Off-road naturally down to 20 or even 15 or lower depending on terrain and track conditions. The 6 psi "rule" says that from cold to hot, if your pressure rises by 5-6 psi you're in the right ballpark. FWIW as you would already know, the book states 33 psi front and rear for 285/60/R18 or 285/65/R17

I just put the Michelin Defender LTX MS2 on my wife’s 2020. They are excellent on road as you would bet. They have a better looking (more present, more aggressive) sidewall than the previous model Defenders. The sidewall is similar to the Michelin AT2. I wouldn’t hesitate to use these for mild off-road conditions.

These are the older version, but still gives you an idea of capabilities: The Corporate Cruiser - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/the-corporate-cruiser.1281146/post-14821787
Why did you go with the Defender LTX M/S 2 over the regular Defenders? I wonder how they compare since they are the revamped version.

I am running the Michelin Defenders. Such an underrated tire, I did damage the sidewall on some rocks on Little John Bull trail however I am sure my rig had no place being on that trail. Tire still held air but the cord was exposed so I replaced it. Just finished up a trip to the Sierras and once again did great! I have about 15k on them now I think still the same tread life when I bought them

Why did you go with the Defender LTX M/S 2 over the regular Defenders? I wonder how they compare since they are the revamped version.

I wanted the latest and greatest version. We had the previous version on her GX. It’s very early but these seem at least as good. As I said earlier, the added sidewall looks much better (at the mall).

I wanted the latest and greatest version. We had the previous version on her GX. It’s very early but these seem at least as good. As I said earlier, the added sidewall looks much better (at the mall).
FYI:

LTX M/S —> LTX M/S2 —> LTX Defender.

Based on your pictures in your linked thread, you had the Defender which is the latest model. If you got the M/S2 now then you bought old stock of the previous version.

Check the tire date. Tire store sold you old stock. Still M/S2 are good tires but old.

MICHELIN Defender is the latest model. M/S2 is the older/previous model.

I am running the Michelin Defenders. Such an underrated tire, I did damage the sidewall on some rocks on Little John Bull trail however I am sure my rig had no place being on that trail. Tire still held air but the cord was exposed so I replaced it. Just finished up a trip to the Sierras and once again did great! I have about 15k on them now I think still the same tread life when I bought them
Yeah that is why I went with Defender too. Very tough tire!

What size is your Defender? LT or P or XL?

You have pic of that sidewall damage?

FYI:

LTX M/S —> LTX M/S2 —> LTX Defender.

Based on your pictures in your linked thread, you had the Defender which is the latest model. If you got the M/S2 now then you bought old stock of the previous version.

Check the tire date. Tire store sold you old stock. Still M/S2 are good tires but old.

MICHELIN Defender is the latest model. M/S2 is the older/previous model.

Negative. The linked thread is another LC (yes, those are the older version as I mentioned with the link).

I have the Defender LTX M/S2 on my wife’s 2020 LC. These bad boys right here: MICHELIN® Defender LTX M/S2 - SUV Crossover - All-Season tire

Pics:

IMG_0746.jpeg

IMG_0747.jpeg

IMG_0748.jpeg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom