Tire Rack: Defender vs. Defender M/S2 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Madtiger

Mini-Doug
Threads
For me…Michelin does not seem to offer the 285/60/18 XL size anymore with the new tire. Maybe in future?

(On the good side, it does offer 275/60/20 XL for my truck.)

Overlander tire? Really? This tire is not even an AT. What exactly does Overlander mean, then? I'm struggling to see how this tire is not simply the best highway tire. It's certainly not the best for muddy fire roads and mild trails, or anything harder than that. I'm not trying to be argumentative, and I realize the term "overland" is vague and subject to interpretation. I'm just asking what your use case is for Overland and if it includes any off highway use at all?

Overlander tire? Really? This tire is not even an AT. What exactly does Overlander mean, then? I'm struggling to see how this tire is not simply the best highway tire. It's certainly not the best for muddy fire roads and mild trails, or anything harder than that. I'm not trying to be argumentative, and I realize the term "overland" is vague and subject to interpretation. I'm just asking what your use case is for Overland and if it includes any off highway use at all?
Looks can be deceiving So I think the Michelin Defender is the perfect all-terrain tire... (For most of us) - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/so-i-think-the-michelin-defender-is-the-perfect-all-terrain-tire-for-most-of-us.1319040/

Alright, I read that. I hear you. What I'd really love to do is be able to drive a bunch of different tires back to back, same vehicle in the same conditions. If only. I do agree with you that even us Overlanders drive a lot of highway miles to get to the trail, and certainly there is a 'look cool' aspect to having chunky tires. Thanks for posting that up, I'll have to think hard before I drop over $1600 on my next set of five tires.

Alright, I read that. I hear you. What I'd really love to do is be able to drive a bunch of different tires back to back, same vehicle in the same conditions. If only. I do agree with you that even us Overlanders drive a lot of highway miles to get to the trail, and certainly there is a 'look cool' aspect to having chunky tires. Thanks for posting that up, I'll have to think hard before I drop over $1600 on my next set of five tires.
I ran Grabbers, K02s on my Montero which is 2wd, AWD, or locked 4wd. On the LX I ran Falkens which I personally hated and swapped for Defenders. I did little John Bull and was surprised they made it through.

I was scared of punctures but they held up well.

Any future 4wd I own will get Defenders, unless I build something up for trails like Fordyce or the Rubicon

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom