Best way to move a tub and frame from tough location (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi everyone, I just picked up a dissasembled 67' Fj40. I have picked up everything except the tub and frame with the motor.

It is at a storage unit facility in a a 30 yard long bay with narrow pillars blocking my exit. There is one opening about 20 yards down that I can back a trailer up to.

So I need to move this beast down to it. Do you guys have any ideas/tricks to put something strong enough underneath to get it rolling?

I don't mind purchasing something fairly inexpensive since I will need to use it once I get it back to my house.

Thanks,

Scott

Howdy! Guessing it's on hard surface, just rent a set of furniture moving dollys, jack it up, slide them under, and away you go! John

I was thinking the furniture dolly idea has well. Thanks. I am def not going to go through the work off getting the axles put back on just to take them off again.

Thanks

I was thinking the furniture dolly idea has well. Thanks. I am def not going to go through the work off getting the axles put back on just to take them off again.

Thanks
I guess I've done it so many times I don't think of it as being that much work. If all the parts are handy I can put an axle in in around 20 or 30 minutes. Less if the springs are still on.

well the ubolts are missing and two spring packs. Plus the axles are already at my house, and I am not lugging them back into the truck:)! Oh and plus I have only done it once on a my nice clean 84 pickup so I'm afraid you might trump me in skills. Thanks for the help guys.

well the ubolts are missing and two spring packs. Plus the axles are already at my house, and I am not lugging them back into the truck:)! Oh and plus I have only done it once on a my nice clean 84 pickup so I'm afraid you might trump me in skills. Thanks for the help guys.
That's a whole other story.

Good luck.

:wrench: :hillbilly:
big lft2.jpg

If you can find somebody to let you borrow them, seeing as how you may never need them again....grab a pair of those quad/motorcycle jacks. I have moved plenty of hot rods and what not with them. Jack them up, they are stable and you can throw a ratchet strap in there for good measure.

Like this one.

http://homepage.mac.com/ratwell/Misc/AluminumJack.jpg

Furniture dollies work great. I bought one from Lowes a few years back and I have used it to move all kinds of parts, including a fj40 tub.
All you need is a couple of 2x4s, a dolly, and two people to lift the tub

if its concrete harbour freight sells dollies for your truck that you can keep and use while your working on it.we have 4 and use them quite a bit good luck

I built a dolly for my tub for 20 bucks out of 3 4x4x8s, 4 carraige bolts and 4 casters... Maybe 25 bucks in it.

I built something similar out of scrape iron and casters. Came in handy during the rebuild process moving the tub in and out of the shop.
001.jpg

Thanks for all the replies guys. I think I will either build one or buy one at Harbor Freight.

This place def. does not have Pallet Jacks. You should see his place. If any of you are familiar with the North Highlands area of Sacramento it is a bit funky to say the least. The storage units are built out of scraps basically and are falling over. This place is like a graveyard for old junk. Very fun to look around though and the owner was very nice. I found three nice Jerry cans that she through in too, and I almost bought three for half the price I paid for everything from the lady. She was an older lady with a bunch of 40's.

When the snow melts and she can get up to her property in Tahoe Nat'l Forest she offered me another 40' for 1500. Might have to check that out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom