Best resource/thread for diagnosing/fixing 80 series power steering? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have already spent about $650 on power steering system replacing lines and buying a rebuilt pump. I still have a leak. I also broke the lid off reservoir today... need best resource for parts/diagnostic/repair. Appreciate the help. I have searched the forum and can’t seem to figure out how to keyword the search correct enough to narrow down to the good stuff.
68E10F1A-63AF-410A-A359-15243D5E744F.jpeg

Let me get this? You want me to be your search engine?

Way to be a troll, go back to Facebook and talk about your politics some more.

What’s Facebook? Read read read... it helps.

And, no. I’m asking for advice from those who have experience dealing with the common power steering issues from an 80. I actually need help as it is my daily. So if you are able to help, I would appreciate it. I could not seem to search the right keyword for this forum to find what I need (hence, I tried to search for it myself).

BA032DBC-4B4C-4CE2-A212-D37C53323F49.jpeg

Ok, what are you experiencing PS wise?

What’s Facebook? Read read read... it helps.
Deleted my original post because I was an AHole.. sorry.. but seriously, there is zero wrong with me asking a question. No one needs to assume that I expect you to solve my problem for me. Obviously I have spent money trying myself..

Ok, what are you experiencing PS wise?
My whole system wines, I have replaced high pressure lines and pump... I still have a leak. I think it could be from the reservoir. But idk if I’m missing something common. Sorry if my last post came across raw.. I just don’t appreciate being hassled for asking an honest question in a community that is suppose to help one another.

I’m a long time lurker who has offered zero value to Mud. No, wait, I’m a recently joined member with nothing of value to offer. OR maybe I participate too much here and have grown tired of punks who don’t want to work for it .

How about you do like we did back when social media was nonexistent and just fix your truck. You might learn something along the way.

One more time, what’s your PS issue?

There is air in the system. My first suggestion would have been the Oring that seals the inlet pipe to the pump but you said you replaced the pump. You need to verify where exactly the leak is coming from.

The suction side will leak when the car is parked and then draw in air while it’s running.

There is air in the system. My first suggestion would have been the Oring that seals the inlet pipe to the pump but you said you replaced the pump. You need to verify where exactly the leak is coming from.

The suction side will leak when the car is parked and then draw in air while it’s running.
Thank you! That is really helpful. Appreciate that. I’m pretty sure that is exactly what is wrong. It definitely leaks heavy when parked. I would not have figured that out as quickly without you. See, it’s really not that bad being helpful. Sorry if I didn’t work hard enough on my end. I sincerely mean this, not being passive. I am sure your a great human and have an awesome truck.

I’m not as mechanically inclined, I have done some work myself, but with a wife and two kids under 5, plus nearly dying from a blood clot in January, I’m unable to do the work currently. I also don’t have the money to keep throwing stuff at this issue. I love my 80 and will keep it for the long haul, hopefully learning some mechanic skills along the way. Appreciate you as I said. I will search/read more about this issue based on your suggestion.

Agree with @baldilocks. Probably air. Jack the front end up and slowly turn the wheel from full lock to full lock to "burp" the system.

Can't help with the leak without more info but I suggest checking flare nuts on high and low pressure lines and making sure the o ring on the front of the pump didn't get dislodged during install. Also if you bought a reman and it came with 2 separate copper, (brass?) Instead of the one piece Toyota then that will leak too.

Finally. There is almost nothing 80 series related that hasn't been discussed here in detail. Search really is your friend.

My power steering whined a bit and progressively got worse until I had a shop rebleed the system. Upon some good advice after searching and reading up a bit on this subject, I made sure to use this fluid. No issues since.

411204A4-3987-44B6-A75B-DA7D5C96BE86.png

For being dedicated to such old arse trucks, ih8 probably has one of the friendliest and easy to search forums online. Part of the fun is the chase. Good luck, brotha. Glad you’re alive and kickin’.

P.S. Advised to not mess with the vets here. Losing battle. They may be old and curmudgeon at times, but boy are they reliable. Kinda like our 80. 😁

Would this Oring come in the “seal kit” sold for the Power steering pump? Or would I need something different? Also planning to replace low pressure lines as I have replaced everything else. Might as well. Again, much appreciated.

Yes

My issues was the rebuilt pump I wasted time with. I kept bleeding it, over and over again, thinking I had air in the system, and it would get better. I bought a new OEM pump, did the bleed procedure once, and it's worked without a hitch ever since. No noise, no leaks.

BTW, I had two defective "rebuilt" pumps, first one the threads were destroyed, second one, simply didn't pump fluid. I didn't try a third "rebuilt" pump.

Would this Oring come in the “seal kit” sold for the Power steering pump? Or would I need something different? Also planning to replace low pressure lines as I have replaced everything else. Might as well. Again, much appreciated.
It should, if I'm understanding the o-ring in question.

Can you tell if the leak is coming from the steering pump or the steering box? Fluid runs between them and can leak from a few places. Or, drip onto something else, then run somewhere and drip again.
Sometimes taking a few minutes to wipe or spray clean (carefully) the area, then running the truck to cause the leak can help find its source faster.
View the whine as a secondary thing at this point. We'll circle back.

edit: also, pics help alot

Last edited:
With my rebuilts I returned, there was a new o-ring you have to install to the inlet. You do this when transferring the inlet from the old pump to the new pump. The o-ring came in a separate bag with 2 o-rings and it said on the instructions to replace it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom