Best Radiator for 3FE? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Sorry to bump an old post but is there a consensus on the best aftermarket radiator for a 3fe? So far all I can find is basically a CSF, APDI, or a Ultra Power. Price ranging from $130-$330. The radiator that came out of the land cruiser can be recored for $600, which honestly looks like a CSF. Anybody have new opinions now 5 years later?

Thanks Steve

Sorry to bump an old post but is there a consensus on the best aftermarket radiator for a 3fe? So far all I can find is basically a CSF, APDI, or a Ultra Power. Price ranging from $130-$330. The radiator that came out of the land cruiser can be recored for $600, which honestly looks like a CSF. Anybody have new opinions now 5 years later?

Thanks Steve
I ran a CSF in my 1993 for a couple years. It fit perfectly and appeared to be built well. It never leaked but it also never cooled as well as the broken radiator it replaced which had plastic tanks and an aluminum core. There is plenty of reading on this subject in the mud archives. More than a few of us had to go back to an aluminum core whether it was OEM or aftermarket. There are also some owners who had no cooling issues and have been happy with the csf. My engine runs 10-20 degrees cooler depending on outside temps and engine load. This story maybe completely different for 3fe owners. Research will pay off.

Can't comment on vs OEM, but my aluminum liland has handled 100+ degree temps in Utah just fine. PO put it in, but I'm pretty sure it's the one you can find on Amazon.

Can't comment on vs OEM, but my aluminum liland has handled 100+ degree temps in Utah just fine. PO put it in, but I'm pretty sure it's the one you can find on Amazon.

I just found that brand and it seems like everywhere is out of stock of them. I did end up ordering a GPI all aluminum yesterday, we'll see how it fits and holds up.

Just adding some early impressions of the GPI aluminum. It did take about 2 weeks to receive it and from 5 foot looks like it will fit the bill. Closer examination you do see some crappy looking welds but looks like it will hold together fine. I have had to make some modifications to make it fit, first the studs on the outside of the radiator that hold the 90 degree isoloators. One fit absolutely perfect, the other was slightly off and I had to file the holes in my bracket to fit on the studs. I kept these brackets loose during my fitup to help with assembly. When sliding it in the from the top I noticed the endsheet of the radiator was contacting the body of the landcruiser, I had to take a 1/4 inch x 3 inch long cut out of the endsheet so it would fit between the body. Next was the location of the front mounting holes that bolts behind the headlights. I'm guessing they were about 1/2 inch off, I was able to get the studs and isolators in and it fit well but I believe it could have been better. I'll take some pictures when I go to put it all together.

Overall I'm slightly worried how the fan centers in the shroud after this but we will see. At the end of the day I spent $180 for an all aluminum radiator, if this is all I have to do to get it to work and it doesn't leak like a siv for a couple years I feel I got a good deal. For the 3FE there isn't many options and I really wasn't excited about a aluminum with a plastic tank, and the copper brass options just don't seem to have the performance yet was my second choice. I'll update this with pics later.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom