Best place to get a new steering box? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I am confused.
If toyota is selling a replacement 80 series steering box with a 105 sector shaft, this would require a new pitman arm as well. As the pitman arm from the 80 series takes a smaller diameter spline. The strength of the 105 sector shaft comes from using the same diameter shaft into the (105) pitman arm. Where the 80 sector shaft diameter is reduced as it mates with the splined area of the smaller pitman arm . The smaller diameter 80 series shaft breaks (if/when) just above the pitman arm.
No you got it right

effin hell. UPS is still dragging their feet with the claim. Bonus, now Partsouq is showing zero inventory for the steering box. I didn't want to buy a new one to have UPS find it...now I'm afraid they won't find it and I"m SOL on getting a new box. Partsouq was ~$1700 for the box....U.S. prices are around $3K.

Now I'm trying to decide do I just buy the 105 sector shaft and pitman arm from partsouq...then if it doesn't turn up I buy another reman box and swap the sector shaft in. If it does turn up I can just turn around and resell the parts I don't need.

Week's not starting off on the right foot.

I'd be wary of counting on Partsouq for the sector shaft. I originally ordered mine from them but it was removed from the order about 3 days later because they didn't have it. Ended up getting mine from Cruiser Outfitters. Shipping costs have also been insane with the few things I wanted to order from Partsouq recently.

effin hell. UPS is still dragging their feet with the claim. Bonus, now Partsouq is showing zero inventory for the steering box. I didn't want to buy a new one to have UPS find it...now I'm afraid they won't find it and I"m SOL on getting a new box. Partsouq was ~$1700 for the box....U.S. prices are around $3K.

Now I'm trying to decide do I just buy the 105 sector shaft and pitman arm from partsouq...then if it doesn't turn up I buy another reman box and swap the sector shaft in. If it does turn up I can just turn around and resell the parts I don't need.

Week's not starting off on the right foot.

Perhaps

C7F26157-E442-4986-B302-5B9096CC2B4C.png

Thanks! Have you bought from them before? They're legit. I've only used partsouq before and always blown away by their promptness.

EDIT - searched and found others on MUD who've bought from them. Placed my order. Thank you @COYS for the recommendation.

Last edited:
If not time sensitive. I use Amayama Trading for parts. I like the detailed parts explodes. I can look at Non US models parts as well. They communicate well and the parts are always well packed. While I like supporting US Markets for Toyota parts. Parts plus shipping is usually half price using amayama trading.

I'm still waiting to hear back from Amayama on my order. partsouq ended up getting the pitman arm back in stock so I ordered that from them. Really hoping to hear back on the steering box from them by tomorrow. I might have to bite the bullet and buy it from a U.S. dealership....just so expensive.

UPS did confirm that they can't find my shipment...waiting to hear how much I'll be getting....but it won't be close to the cost for a new one. (I'd been sitting on the one I shipped for a few years...should have been smart and checked the current prices).

Partsouq went from having quite a few on hand to OOS too fast. Should have just bought it instead of hoping UPS would find it.

If anyone knows of a good Toyota Dealership to order from that gives good discounts (unlikely with CDan and Onur long since out of the parts business) please let me know. I am time constrained....and that this point it looks like UPS' mix up is going to cost me at least an additional $1K. :bang:

Is anyone using this, or familiar with their quality? And is that spec for the 105 shaft?

Is anyone using this, or familiar with their quality? And is that spec for the 105 shaft?

I was wondering the same thing. Seems exactly what redhead would do. Who’s going to be the guinea pig!?

Edit: noticed rock auto sells the lares unit as “new” for $374.

[looks around, shuffles feet]

Bumping this back up as I just ordered this box. I didn't see any notes as far as needing to change the pitman arm, or a recommended part number from them. I would like to put a new pitman arm on before I put the box in. Anyone confirm which one I need??

Bumping this back up as I just ordered this box. I didn't see any notes as far as needing to change the pitman arm, or a recommended part number from them. I would like to put a new pitman arm on before I put the box in. Anyone confirm which one I need??

My buddy ordered a lares and it did not come with the 105 sector, despite the spec they list on their website.

My buddy ordered a lares and it did not come with the 105 sector, despite the spec they list on their website.
Right on. Thanks for posting up. I got an email saying it will be here Tuesday, so will post up what I find.

Using the part finder on the Lares catalog shows two part numbers available for my 96: 1580 and 11580.

11580 is listed as a new part and specifies 1.42 output shaft while 1580 is listed as remanufactured and doesn't specify output shaft.

I don't know if that's all accurate, but if I ordered 11580 and got something that didn't have the 1.42 shaft, I'd see about getting a refund. I'd guess 1580 is just remanufactured with the stock part.

I would like to put a new pitman arm on before I put the box in. Anyone confirm which one I need??
You're going to want to mount the box before installing the pitman arm. Read the FSM. That nut on the bottom wants 130 ft/lbs. Good luck doing that on the bench.
Just as an FYI, Redhead has a good reputation, whereas West Texas Offroad delivered unusable crap to me.
I would never go aftermarket on a steering box, but that's my opinion.
That said, after my debacle with WTO I purchased the 100 Series cross shaft, pitman arm, and hardware from a Canadian seller on this forum. I wound up using my original box and swapped the slightly twisted cross shaft out on the bench. No leaks, no issues after several years. Turns left AND right.

Last edited:
You're going to want to mount the box before installing the pitman arm. Read the FSM. That nut on the bottom wants 130 ft/lbs. Good luck doing that on the bench.
Just as an FYI, Redhead has a good reputation, whereas West Texas Offroad delivered unusable crap to me.
I would never go aftermarket on a steering box, but that's my opinion.
That said, after my debacle with WTO I purchased the 100 Series cross shaft, pitman arm, and hardware from a Canadian seller on this forum. I wound up using my original box and swapped the slightly twisted cross shaft out on the bench. No leaks, no issues after several years. Turns left AND right.
Thanks for chiming in. Who would have ever thought that the nut was more than finger tight?????? You sure are up on the aftermarket for steering boxes, even though you would never use one, and you never did answer the question that I had about which arm. Its ok, Ill post up some useful info for anyone else reading when I see which one it needs.

Someone here bought a new oem box for $~1k from a vendor called Impex. Steal of the century. Search is your friend.
Wompom, it’s in What Have You Done With Your 80 This Weekend

Using the part finder on the Lares catalog shows two part numbers available for my 96: 1580 and 11580.

11580 is listed as a new part and specifies 1.42 output shaft while 1580 is listed as remanufactured and doesn't specify output shaft.

I don't know if that's all accurate, but if I ordered 11580 and got something that didn't have the 1.42 shaft, I'd see about getting a refund. I'd guess 1580 is just remanufactured with the stock part.
That’s what he ordered and returned it due to the above.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom