JDM 80 series (Right hand drive) - general info/questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I picked up a '92 80 series JDM in Uganda (~250Km) and have definitely had quite the adventure trying to figure out this new LC lifestyle and reviving the thing from hibernation. The PO didn't really seem drive it once he imported from Japan and it seemed to have been mothballed. My first quest was to find the service manual for JDM model. I still don't think I have the exact manual but I am sure I have something really close as I downloaded the RM 258U. It is getting me pointed in the right direction but I am really nervous about forking over money and then getting the wrong manual since I am pretty sure the only applicable manual will be the japanese language manual. I think these guys are going to be the ticket though:

I am currently trying to troubleshoot random engine stalls and I think I have narrowed it down to the electrical system. I am trying to figure out the purpose of the "Junction Box" and how that relates to the "fusible link" wiring as I am sure the wiring diagram I have is not quite exact (there is no junction box in my manual). Does anyone know what this does? and how it relates to the FL? This page exactly reflects the arrangement of my 80 but my repair manual does not seem to have the same components:

junctionbox.png
wiringDiagram.png

Also…I cannot find a VIN for the life of me. I think it’s because it doesn’t have one being a JDM vehicle.
It's the Frame Number- FJ800050982
Texas will let you register it, but you have to go into the county for registration and renewal as the computer shows it is not a proper VIN.
And you have the 3FE motor...and A440 transmission, if they are original to the vehicle.
The 3FE was used in the FJ62 and the early US 80 series, (1988-1992) so parts may be easier to source than if it were diesel.
Here is a parts source too:
partsouq:Partsouq parts for your FJ80

Last edited:
I picked up a '92 80 series JDM in Uganda (~250Km) and have definitely had quite the adventure trying to figure out this new LC lifestyle and reviving the thing from hibernation. The PO didn't really seem drive it once he imported from Japan and it seemed to have been mothballed. My first quest was to find the service manual for JDM model. I still don't think I have the exact manual but I am sure I have something really close as I downloaded the RM 258U. It is getting me pointed in the right direction but I am really nervous about forking over money and then getting the wrong manual since I am pretty sure the only applicable manual will be the japanese language manual. I think these guys are going to be the ticket though:

I am currently trying to troubleshoot random engine stalls and I think I have narrowed it down to the electrical system. I am trying to figure out the purpose of the "Junction Box" and how that relates to the "fusible link" wiring as I am sure the wiring diagram I have is not quite exact (there is no junction box in my manual). Does anyone know what this does? and how it relates to the FL? This page exactly reflects the arrangement of my 80 but my repair manual does not seem to have the same components:

View attachment 3568254View attachment 3568258
That image you have of the "junction box" is a JDM auxiliary fuse box in the engine bay for adding accessories. Shouldn't cause stalling, but I defer to an electrical guru.

The fusible link should be essentially the first pigtail/bunch of wires coming off the positive battery terminal. There might be a "junction box" that joins the separate fusible links (slow burn wire) to the main wire coming off the battery.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom