Best place for NA 3B EGT probe? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey there, I recently got an Issopro EV2 EGT gauge for Christmas and was wondering where the best place to put it would be for accuracy and response time? The 2 places I'm deciding against I have marked in red and orange as you can see. So which would be better, or is there another better place? I'm tempted to do red because it will be easier than trying to fit in between the flange. If anyone has any knowledge or experience with EGT probes in certain locations, I'll be glad to hear! Thank you.
InkedIMG_4893_LI.jpg

Orange would give the most 'accurate' reading as it would include the last cylinder...

Are you planning on taking off the manifold to drill and tap? If so, I would suggest the longer side of the drop flange facing the back might be easier to get to and drill and tap...

Any desire for a turbo as long as you are possibly taking the manifold off? With low boost you can dramatically improve the driveability of the B series engine...

Orange would give the most 'accurate' reading as it would include the last cylinder...

Are you planning on taking off the manifold to drill and tap? If so, I would suggest the longer side of the drop flange facing the back might be easier to get to and drill and tap...

Any desire for a turbo as long as you are possibly taking the manifold off? With low boost you can dramatically improve the driveability of the B series engine...
Great! Thanks for the info. I was trying to not have to take the manifold off to get the probe on so I guess I'll have to see just how difficult it is to get it on the forward-facing part. As for the turbo... I would absolutely kill for one, just need to save up some funds to get a decent kit from Gerg or Diesel42. I've estimated at around June I'll have enough funds to go ahead and get a turbo.

Turbo is a night and day difference and makes these actually more efficient if you can resist changing your diving habits... I have some.of the adapters left over from working with Keith (Diesel42) on the kits.

Turbo is a night and day difference and makes these actually more efficient if you can resist changing your diving habits... I have some.of the adapters left over from working with Keith (Diesel42) on the kits.
I've heard, I don't mind how slow it is at sea level where I live but I'll be going to college at 4,000-6,000ft next year. This summer I went up there with the troopy... and came to the conclusion that there is no way I'll be able to daily it up there without a turbo haha. I was a genuine traffic hazard. As for the adapters, what exactly do you mean by "adapters"? I've looked some into the kits but I don't know all the individual pieces and parts and what the adapter serves as. Thanks

There are two major systems on a turbo: air and oil. Some also have a water system for cooling, but on a 3b it's overkill.

To provide oil to the turbo you need an adapter to go from the block (there is a plug in the oil galley on the exhaust side of the block) bit it is an unusual thread. You need a British Standard Pipe Thread (BSPT) to 4AN (standard steel braided oil line fitting) adapter. Some kits use multiple adapters to get from the BSPT to 4AN, but I was able to source steel adapters that are one piece.

Those were the adapters I was talking about.

At altitude you definitely need a turbo. Not just for driveability, but also for engine health. This may sound counterintuitive, but not enough air is what kills a diesel. gas engines are the opposite. If you run a gas engine lean you can burn it up. With Diesel, you can run as lean as you want... You'll just be slow. Once you add fuel, you add heat and then you risk the engine.

Hope all this helps. I lived at 10k feet above sea for 5 years with a 3b and the turbo was what kept me from cracking a head or precup as I was able to push enough air into the engine under load.

Hey there, I recently got an Issopro EV2 EGT gauge for Christmas and was wondering where the best place to put it would be for accuracy and response time? The 2 places I'm deciding against I have marked in red and orange as you can see. So which would be better, or is there another better place? I'm tempted to do red because it will be easier than trying to fit in between the flange. If anyone has any knowledge or experience with EGT probes in certain locations, I'll be glad to hear! Thank you.
View attachment 2536347

EGT will hardly ever move on a NA diesel. Frankly, it is a why bother unless you are planning on turbo charging your 3B. I did turbo charge my 3B over 11 years ago and it is still my workhorse.

It may not move much at sea level, but when you climb to 7000 feet and lose 30% of the oxygen, then you are essentially overfueling and can create an undesirable AFR which can push a NA diesel above 1200F. Don't ask how I know!

There's no point monitoring EGT on a NA diesel. It will smoke like a steam train before you even get remotely hot readings.

Better to fit an AFR gauge.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom