Best mods to improve snow capability (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

ramangain

Clarksonian disciple
Threads
Folks, this thread is REALLY about seeing some pics of the snowpocalypse happening in the middle of the US right now.

Additionally, hooning around in the snow in your Hundy, highlighting why your mod(s) make it possible/better, is highly encouraged.

With the large snowfalls, the video plowing through the highest snow "object" in your Hundy wins!

(Mods this is done in good faith with ... hopefully ... enough technical content to abide by forum rules and regs)

highlighting why your mod(s) make it possible/better,
ARB bumper makes it harder to clean off the snow so that I can see out the windshield. Prob should’ve kept the stock Tupperware.
B201D008-67AF-4F71-950E-E8493CF0F47A.jpeg

No video from me, yet, at least.

Best mod: winch or rear recovery point. so that when you hit that snow mound bigger than your hoodline, you can have some fun getting yourself back out! Or tires. I had dedicated snows on my 99. That was pretty unstoppable in snow.

This is the most snow I've ever seen outside the mountains. I've got snow drifts taller than my 4 year old in the backyard. I shoveled 4 times and could only keep about 1/3 the driveway clear. Pretty crazy. I didn't wander too much today, but I did drive a little. No roads were plowed around me. No ice, so it wasn't bad, but man o man... lots of snow!

I shoveled 4 times and could only keep about 1/3 the driveway clear. Pretty crazy. I didn't wander too much today, but I did drive a little. No roads were plowed around me. No ice, so it wasn't bad, but man o man... lots of snow!
Same here in Longmont. I started shoveling last night around 11pm and have shoveled 4 more times today. By the time I got done each time, it was all covered again! I assume some ice is setting up tonight tho, considering the rain that came before the snow, and it is a heavy wet snow.

20210314_123741.jpg

Not quite the same level as the first few pictures but it was still early in the day. Drove through some 2'+ drifts later in the day around the Denver area. Just out enjoying the snow and the truck and helping a few less equipt folks out. Pulled a jeep out of a drift with my hitch shackle (very handy) for a few nice ladies and their mom. Made me feel pretty good...especially since I used to have a Grand Cherokee. Got a free bottle of wine out of the deal also!

An avalanche shovel is another very handy tool to have during big snows whether it's in the truck or the back country. Doesn't take up much room and can move a lot of snow from around the tires and under the truck if needed.

Looking at adding a few trail tailor front recovery points now as well.

Ditch the MT/AT tyres and put proper winter tyres if snow is a priority. There is no going around this. MT are horrendous in packed snow/ice and somewhat ok in fresh powdery snow. AT are ok-ish when new, but still a compromise. After 1 or 2 summers they are just as horrendous as the MTs...

Here's my contribution. The older KO2 did pretty well around the neighborhood. Some streets still have a solid 24" of powder. No problem in the 100in N height, but not something your typical car can get through.

1615832333508.png

Ditch the MT/AT tyres and put proper winter tyres if snow is a priority. There is no going around this. MT are horrendous in packed snow/ice and somewhat ok in fresh powdery snow. AT are ok-ish when new, but still a compromise. After 1 or 2 summers they are just as horrendous as the MTs...
I can't speak for MTs, but agreed on ATs. They're fine if the snow is still pretty 3D, but once it's packed down ATs are just a normal tire. Dedicated snow tires are where it's at.

The trouble with living in the Denver area is that we get big snow storm driving for maybe 5-15 days per year. The rest of the winter/spring season it's -5 to maybe 12C and the snow tires aren't needed. I'm unsure if I'll go through the trouble of getting snows on these wheels when I get my 17" wheels with Ridge Grapplers. I had a set of dedicated winter tires on my 99 and am unsure the juice was worth the squeeze.

@suprarx7nut what's that ramp looking thing on the back?
Dissent off-road accessory panel with a maxtrax mounted to the back. It's obnoxiously bright and I'll probably relocate the maxtrax to the roof rack to minimize the times people ask me if I'm a back woods EMT because I have a safety orange stretcher mounted on my car...

@suprarx7nut
I'd re-think the Nitto RGs, they are quite sh!t in the snow. I had to get rid of mine, driving up and down from Peak to Peak (Brainard Lake and Peaceful Valley) in the winter to fat bike was too sketchy. The blocks are too big and hard (that's what she said). It's a balance, because I loved them off-road. Too much snow driving and I don't even hit I-70 much in the winter. Straight and flat was fine. Never felt they turned worth a sh!t, just understeered no matter the speed.
I've since put on Toyo AT3s and liking them. Nothing beats a Duratrac except a dedicated snow tire.
YMMV. Focus group of one.
Maybe @J1000 has a different opinion.

Tires. Hands down. If you're traveling over passes and in icy/snowy conditions a dedicated winter tire w/ siping will be the single best improvement you can make. Nokian or Blizzak all day, every day. Anything else is not a dedicated snow tire and subject to sliding.

MT style tires are fine on flatlands and maybe snow-wheeling, but let's all agree they aren't the same on steep passes and such.

Big difference driving in 2 feet of fresh powder VS a few months worth of packed down Montana ice / snow but studded proper snow tires make a huge difference over my KO2 which just pack with snow. Once the snow starts flying over the front bumper and is up to the frame, these heavy rigs bog down pretty quick.

@suprarx7nut
I'd re-think the Nitto RGs, they are quite sh!t in the snow. I had to get rid of mine, driving up and down from Peak to Peak (Brainard Lake and Peaceful Valley) in the winter to fat bike was too sketchy. The blocks are too big and hard (that's what she said). It's a balance, because I loved them off-road. Too much snow driving and I don't even hit I-70 much in the winter. Straight and flat was fine. Never felt they turned worth a sh!t, just understeered no matter the speed.
I've since put on Toyo AT3s and liking them. Nothing beats a Duratrac except a dedicated snow tire.
YMMV. Focus group of one.
Maybe @J1000 has a different opinion.
I'd actually agree with you. I had Terra Grapplers previously that were much better in snow. These get the job done though and we have limited snow days here anyway. I went with 275 instead of 285s I had previously and I'd say they are marginally better but still not great. The RGs are so good at everything else especially the rough, rocky terrain we have around here so I will probably always use them unless Nitto comes out with something even better.

Yellow fogs. White light at night bouncing off the snowflakes in a snowstorm makes me feel like I wanna puke.

Nokians and blizzaks.

Heater core that works, good oem coolant. The 100 series and 200 heater is seriously the hottest heater I've ever felt in a car.

Skid plates. You never know what's lurking underneath the snow.

Atrac/traction control. Yup TC has saved my ass and atrac gets me moving forwards. Feel sorry for the 98-99 owners because the 2000+ is a better snow rig.

30 inches here!

Best mod - Goodyear Ultra Grip Ice
Have tried most snow tires out there (Blizzak, Versdtein, Michelin, Kuhmo, Nokian, pirelli) and these rock

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom