Best manual for a newbie (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The set of Toyota Field Service Manual’s are the best. There are pdfs and hard copy, I carry my hard copy books in the LC on long trips.

EF62FA6A-31F2-4A88-8918-19E3A7225CD6.jpeg

Stay in years 98-02 since 2003 was a redesign with some differences. I would think you can find 98’s either used or after restock. I find the hard copy easier to work with than pdf.

Best is to stay with 98 or 99 FSM. Two main changes are brakes and rear locker, which both changed in 2000 up.

Took the bait and bought a full set including electricalon ebay.Then got an offer of 21% less from one seller..nice to know

My mechanic has already installed a new timing belt , new water pump and tensioner , thermostat,rads going back in tomorrow.Doing oil and filter plus transmission filter and fluid.Air filter..Cabin filter.QuestionComing..Should I use anything in diffs other than 80/90..a modifier anti slip..I have locking diffs..I kinda jumped in this..time was tight.

Doing a cooling system flush and engine flush.Brake and steering fluid drain and change.Hoping all goes well.I am near Cabo in the Baja. Mechanic is mexican.He is a smart 30 year old.I guess I'll know tomorrow nite.Its a California LC with 200,000 miles on it.Last owner had it 11 years.If all goes well it may get in to get the dings out and be painted fir 1000 $

A lot of us here use M1 75/90 in both diff's and transfer case. Make sure you turn on the rear heater when you burp the cooling system. Change the heater t's while your at it. There is a very specific way to adjust the brake fluid level and transmission fluid level.

Maybe I should wait till I get manuals before I get mechanic to do brakes and transmission fluids. I admit I am a little freaked out doing this all at once anyways.I didn"t know it had a rear heater...and as for heater "t's I guess I'll look those up. Is there a few all the same type ?

.Should I use anything in diffs other than 80/90..a modifier anti slip..I have locking diffs..I kinda jumped in this..time was tight.

You do not need anti slip modifier. That is for limited slip diffs like posi-traction and other friction based lockers.
ARB, factory electric lockers, etc are actuated by driver, and do not have a friction component.

Because I didn"t know service history since 2008 I'm throwing everything I can think off at it.
The heater Ts are just plastic T fittings on the coolant lines right at the firewall, that go back to the heaters. It's a common failure where the plastic gets brittle and fails, and the coolant gushes out. They're a good thing to replace before they fail, and there are tons of write ups on here about it.

Wise of you to baseline it straight away. Have those Heater Tees done immediately .

The heater Ts are just plastic T fittings on the coolant lines right at the firewall, that go back to the heaters. It's a common failure where the plastic gets brittle and fails, and the coolant gushes out. They're a good thing to replace before they fail, and there are tons of write ups on here about it.
Eyedaho, you never got back with me on the OEM Ignition Coils, but I also have the T's in my parts. I am sure you don't want to wait that long for shipping but maybe we can work a deal if you still need the coils too.

Eyedaho, you never got back with me on the OEM Ignition Coils, but I also have the T's in my parts. I am sure you don't want to wait that long for shipping but maybe we can work a deal if you still need the coils too.
Sorry, looked at wrong thread...looks like BAJA had the brittle T's, but anyway let me know something on the ignition coils

Are the heater T in stainless the way to go ? Is there a plastic part number for Toyota T ?
What brand of Fuel filter is preferred ? WIX33875 #2330050090
Clutch fan has a wobble..which brand on it ?FCT021

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom