Best Gauges to Match Interior? Pyro Range? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've been looking to buy a pair of gauges, pyrometer and boost, as part of my S/C install. Since there isn't a gauge pod available that fits the LHD 80 series I've settled on the 94-01 Acura dual pod by Autometer as others here on 'Mud have decided to go with.

My only dilemma now is selecting gauges. I want to go with something that matches the Toyota gauge cluster as close as possible - orange needles, black back ground with white numerals and markings, back lit in yellow-green.

To me it looks as though the closest gauges to stock appearance are either AEM or Speedhut's custom gauges...

It seems no one uses orange needles in their gauges, but AEM's adjustable back light, in green, nost closely matches the gauge cluster. Speedhut's green back light is a little too dark or "moss green" to match, but the customization is a nice feature.

Can anyone out there share their choice in gauges? Pics would be helpful too.

In terms of a pyrometer, what temp range would be ideal? I've heard that the diesel pyros that read to say, 1500F aren't really hot enough for a gasser, since they run hotter than diesels (in the range of 1200F). Is this true? What is the 1FZE's ballpark "baseline" exhaust gas temp, so to speak?

Last edited:
Isspro EV series Boost (manifold Pressure) and Pyrometer
Available in red needle. I put OEM green condoms over the peanut bulbs to give factory like illumination.
Matches the factor gauges pretty close.
Vent gauges.jpg
Vent gauges DK.jpg
Vent gauges L.jpg

Isspro EV series Boost (manifold Pressure) and Pyrometer
Available in red needle. I put OEM green condoms over the peanut bulbs to give factory like illumination.
Matches the factor gauges pretty close.

wow I want that tach! the gauges look nice too. However, I would never give up my A/C vents!

Ya, vent install isn't for everyone.. especially since it's a real PITA to do.
AC still blows plenty, more than enough for South West BC climate anyway.
The air flow is defused a bit but plenty of CFM gets by the gauges.

I have a 2000 deg Autometer digital EGT gauge, and frequently see temps well into the 1500 deg range when the A/F ratio is in the 14's, i.e., running closed loop. As S/C boost comes on and the system goes open loop with A/F in the 10.5 -11.5 range, EGT drops to the 1300 deg range. The fuel gauge confirms the cooling effect of WOT. Recent 125mi trip towing about 2,000 lbs and including a climb from 300 ft to 1450 ft in 2-3 miles (Cuesta Grade on US 101 @ SLO) turned in a delightful 7.8 MPG. Mack

I have a 2000 deg Autometer digital EGT gauge, and frequently see temps well into the 1500 deg range when the A/F ratio is in the 14's, i.e., running closed loop. As S/C boost comes on and the system goes open loop with A/F in the 10.5 -11.5 range, EGT drops to the 1300 deg range. The fuel gauge confirms the cooling effect of WOT. Recent 125mi trip towing about 2,000 lbs and including a climb from 300 ft to 1450 ft in 2-3 miles (Cuesta Grade on US 101 @ SLO) turned in a delightful 7.8 MPG. Mack

Those numbers match up pretty closely with what I've been seeing on my PLX AFR and pyro gauges. We just got back from a trip out to southern Arizona towing an M416 trailer about 3/4 of the way. Going over the passes outside of Prescott with my wife driving and pushing the truck at 75-80 to keep up with traffic yielded an awesome 7.xx mpg as well :doh:

Then I took over and proceeded to drive like a grandpa (60-65 mph tops), which got us up around 12-13 mpg. Moral of the story: speed matters when you're driving a brick!

Those numbers match up pretty closely with what I've been seeing on my PLX AFR and pyro gauges. We just got back from a trip out to southern Arizona towing an M416 trailer about 3/4 of the way. Going over the passes outside of Prescott with my wife driving and pushing the truck at 75-80 to keep up with traffic yielded an awesome 7.xx mpg as well :doh:

Then I took over and proceeded to drive like a grandpa (60-65 mph tops), which got us up around 12-13 mpg. Moral of the story: speed matters when you're driving a brick!

I like the look of 70sguy's Isspro gauges, but they do not offer a "boost" gauge, they all read "turbo boost". I did however look at the PLX gauges that you mentioned djsixbillion, the multi-display "DM-200" OBDII gauge is particularly interesting. I like the fact that you can read your OBDII data and read other installed sensors as well. I don't like the stupid "boy racer" graphics, but I think you can customize all that.

I wonder if the ODBII data in the ECU contains EGT readings? If so you obviously wouldn't need an additional pyrometer. I don't think you would be able to read pressure off the supercharger, though manifold pressure should be part of the OBDII data. hmmmm:hmm:

I like the look of 70sguy's Isspro gauges, but they do not offer a "boost" gauge, they all read "turbo boost". I did however look at the PLX gauges that you mentioned djsixbillion, the multi-display "DM-200" OBDII gauge is particularly interesting. I like the fact that you can read your OBDII data and read other installed sensors as well. I don't like the stupid "boy racer" graphics, but I think you can customize all that.

I wonder if the ODBII data in the ECU contains EGT readings? If so you obviously wouldn't need an additional pyrometer. I don't think you would be able to read pressure off the supercharger, though manifold pressure should be part of the OBDII data. hmmmm:hmm:

I went with Isspro gauges too. I think that they match the interior very well. As for their boost gauges, the range is too much. The most boost you will see is 6psi with a TRD SC (unless you install a smaller pulley and intercooler) so the ISSPRO manifold pressure gauge range of 0-15psi is perfect.

I have the TRD boost/vac gauge in my rig with the single pod, and it is of course a 100% match.

Looking at the new LHD pod that is being developed from a member in OZ, and thinking of getting one. Not sure if I will go with the two- or three-option, but watching this thread.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-tech/478238-pillar-pod-gauge-holders.html

The gauges I have found which seem to closely match to Toyota are actually VDO.

310-1052.jpg

310-151.jpg

They are simple and that is what I am looking for in a gauge...nothing fancy, thanks. These guys seem to have a good variety, and at a decent price.

310-1052 - VDO Vision Black Series Gauges: Engine Temperature Gauges (Electrical) - egauges.com

:cheers:

Steve

Cyclosteve beat me to it! -- The VDO Vision series lighting is really effective (have these in my BMW) -

And they include the little 'condoms' for the light bulbs in red & green (red is BMW match & what I'm using, so pics are worthless) but if I could find all the guages I wanted to run in the Vision series, I'd run them based on great experience - Murphy's law, they don't have everything I do want to run.

The needle is always a light red color, but the background is what you choose by altering the bulb output - I want to say the needle is fiber optic - it really jumps at you whatever they did.

I'm doing a supercharger guage install package too, so it's good seeing what all others are doing.

Can you share what the super charger install package is and associated part #'s Linus? I appreciate it.

Sorry, that's a bit misleading - I'm doing the TRD supercharger kit from C-dan (have it), the MAF from Landtank/Rick (in progress) & there's going to be a fluid chilled intercooler that will follow immediately after the shakedown bugs are handled from the basic supercharger install, then I'll be looking at the exhaust with an eye towards fabbing either a longer dual downtube setup that uses the cast manifolds ported, or possibly a complete header - but I've run longer downtube setups before & the lesser heat they don't generate & the favorable torque curve it gives versus the blatent HP gains without much torque I got from Supersprint headers I've had on other vehicles, I expect to be going ported ex manifolds.

Also I have my eye on the intake manifold & awhile ago Bjowett started a thread where he was doing some work there, but I contactd him for followup but nothing there yet - so we'll see what materializes.

Before I go installing all this though I am putting in a set of guages - really just to get baseline numbers of normal operating conditions. It's still the 1st step & I have yet to buy my guages & also some of us are waiting to see the release Adrian (forgot his log-in) has for A pillar pods to hold 3) 2 1/16" guages.

To further mess things up, I'm going to dual batteries, and relocating my washer bottle using an early FJ80 tank to keep the RS of the engine bay open enough for the coolant tank the intercooler will use, plus the factory batt tray.

My initial thread for guage recommendations, if you're about at the same starting point I am:

https://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-...auges-2-1-16-gauges-supercharger-install.html

I tend to install things in big "lumps" as that's how time/life lets me - so I'm stockpiling parts & once I have it all waiting then I pretty much pull marathon installs - plus it reduces my downtime to just solid blocks of time versus here-n-there, hit-n-miss type.

Sorry, that's a bit misleading - I'm doing the TRD supercharger kit from C-dan (have it), the MAF from Landtank/Rick (in progress) & there's going to be a fluid chilled intercooler that will follow immediately after the shakedown bugs are handled from the basic supercharger install, then I'll be looking at the exhaust with an eye towards fabbing either a longer dual downtube setup that uses the cast manifolds ported, or possibly a complete header - but I've run longer downtube setups before & the lesser heat they don't generate & the favorable torque curve it gives versus the blatent HP gains without much torque I got from Supersprint headers I've had on other vehicles, I expect to be going ported ex manifolds.

Also I have my eye on the intake manifold & awhile ago Bjowett started a thread where he was doing some work there, but I contactd him for followup but nothing there yet - so we'll see what materializes.

Before I go installing all this though I am putting in a set of guages - really just to get baseline numbers of normal operating conditions. It's still the 1st step & I have yet to buy my guages & also some of us are waiting to see the release Adrian (forgot his log-in) has for A pillar pods to hold 3) 2 1/16" guages.

To further mess things up, I'm going to dual batteries, and relocating my washer bottle using an early FJ80 tank to keep the RS of the engine bay open enough for the coolant tank the intercooler will use, plus the factory batt tray.

My initial thread for guage recommendations, if you're about at the same starting point I am:

https://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-...auges-2-1-16-gauges-supercharger-install.html

I tend to install things in big "lumps" as that's how time/life lets me - so I'm stockpiling parts & once I have it all waiting then I pretty much pull marathon installs - plus it reduces my downtime to just solid blocks of time versus here-n-there, hit-n-miss type.

This sounds pretty much where I'm at. I've got my s/c kit sitting in a box in my shop waiting for me to get to it, following the head gasket show, and I like the sounds of Rick's inter cooler project as well.

Too many projects around the house at the moment though, and I have to get around to setting up my car hoist in the shop; that should help out immensely with some of my Cruiser projects.

Back on topic, I kind of like SPA Technique's dual digital gauges, you can get a dual boost/egt gauge and there are a dozen or so gauge options in that line as well. They are available with a black face/bezel and have a switchable red or light green back lit LCD which wouldn't look out of place (kind of similar to the stock stereo display, in green). Their gauges would also complement a ScangaugeII, the displays, being LCD, are close in back light.

Dual Gauges

The other company that I've found is McNally Electronics. I'm not sure what the quality is like but their gauges are available in a green back light and have an orange pointer. The font isn't quite as close as ISSPRO's to stock Toyota, but they do custom gauges, so it might be cost effective if enough people wanted them to match the stock Toyota font to have them run a batch. Their gauges are dual analog/digital, worth a look.

Analog and Digital Automotive Gauges - McNally Electronics

The nice thing about dual gauges is that if you desire, you can have two instruments where one resides. If Mudplugger gets his gauge pod fitted so it can be sold, there are then quite a few options in a triple pod with using dual gauges.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom