Best 100 Series... 06 and 07? Share your experiences / expertise! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

These discussions are interesting. Similar to discussing which beer is the best. I always choose the coldest free beer as my favourite.
I have a 1998 and a 2006 Land Cruiser. The 2006 is nicer in someways but the 1998 has its advantages as well. Others Members have raised/discussed those differences.
My experience is the 2006 is nicer on the highway. 5 speed and more power. There VVT motor just feels more "willing" or more "free" to rev when you are passingon the flats or on steep hills.
The AHC rides smoother in the city and on the highway. There are several speed bumps in my neighbourhood. When driving over them with my 2016 GMC Z71 I have to slow down. The AHC in the 2006 sucks up the speed bumps and makes the speed bump feel like driving over a small cat.
Power is a non issue when city driving. Both are fine.
VSC is awesome in icy conditions.
Find a nice 100 LC or LX in the best condition that you can afford that suits your needs. Change the heater tees and drive it. Try not to drive over small cats.

Same and agree on the beer. Favorite is free.

We have speed bumps in some communities that are more like small jumps and I try to jump them in my 100 every time. Lots of fun. ;<)

One other thing to consider, which hardly ever comes up here, is the financial side. Most banks will give you a better interest rate on the newer vehicles. Check out the following current loan rates from my credit union:View attachment 1925003

If you don't have the cash to pay outright and you'll be financing, you really can't ignore the rate differences. If I were looking at a '06-'07 100 today, and I weren't totally dead-set on the 100, it's hard to justify the premium in sales price for the later 100 when you compare sales prices of the earlier 200s. When you factor in the higher interest rate of the older car loan, the slight increase you might pay for a early 200 isn't really there when you look at the life of your loan.

If you have excellent credit and qualify for the lowest rate in each category, compare the two 60-month loans. Buying a 100 over a 200 could double your interest rate on the loan. That is not insignificant for most people.

When I bought my '07, it was quite a bit more than the earlier 100s, but this loan issue helped me close the gap of the total cost of ownership.

That is good information! Thank you for adding that piece of info to my decision tree. I have not heard or that before your post. Thank you, sir! :cheers:

These discussions are interesting. Similar to discussing which beer is the best. I always choose the coldest free beer as my favourite.
I have a 1998 and a 2006 Land Cruiser. The 2006 is nicer in someways but the 1998 has its advantages as well. Others Members have raised/discussed those differences.
My experience is the 2006 is nicer on the highway. 5 speed and more power. There VVT motor just feels more "willing" or more "free" to rev when you are passingon the flats or on steep hills.
The AHC rides smoother in the city and on the highway. There are several speed bumps in my neighbourhood. When driving over them with my 2016 GMC Z71 I have to slow down. The AHC in the 2006 sucks up the speed bumps and makes the speed bump feel like driving over a small cat.
Power is a non issue when city driving. Both are fine.
VSC is awesome in icy conditions.
Find a nice 100 LC or LX in the best condition that you can afford that suits your needs. Change the heater tees and drive it. Try not to drive over small cats.

You forgot to describe the '98 advantages.

I like my 1998 LC better than the 2006LC. It has a more truck like "Feel" than the 2006.
The 1998 Factory rear locker is a bonus, has more dents and miles on it.
My kids prefer the 1998 because of the Pioneer double DIN stereo.
In my case the 2006 has lower mileage, cost more and is just too nice to take off road.
The best thing about the 1998 Land Cruiser is my wife prefers driving the 2006 Land Cruiser!

No rear ac in 98. Requirement for NC summers. 😎

I have a 2000 and a 2006. I prefer the 2000.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom