Besides Toyota dealerships, what other 'authoritative' parts sources are there for 80's? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Dealers do not stock boutique parts. It is not financially responsible to do so. Typical sales demand that qualifies stocking any particular item is a sale recorded in each of 3 months in a 12 month period. In order to keep the stocking justification it needs to sell at least once every six months thereafter.

That's not likely to happen in the normal dealer environment to items that apply to 30+ year old vehicles.

I was able to do it because I had the customer base that bought enough to generate the sales demand to justify stocking the stuff.
Dealer local to me seems to stock very little. I have a 2010 4Runner, they had to order pads and rotors, told me they don’t stock them😳

Dealer local to me seems to stock very little. I have a 2010 4Runner, they had to order pads and rotors, told me they don’t stock them😳

The newest application for that rotor is almost 10 years old. I'm not surprised a medium or small (or even some large) dealer would not have them at this point. Most vehicles of that age have migrated to the aftermarket.

FWIW, based on what I have seen on the internet, and with some real life conversations, I have far more confidence in being able to source parts for my 30 year old Toyota than for an out of warranty Tesla. They are doing a lot right, but support after the sale, or at least out of warranty doesn't seem to be one of them.

Back on supporting local, back when this obsession started and the local parts counter started recognizing me, I told them I was about to place some large orders, and was wondering if they could do any better than matrix pricing, showing them invoices from LaGrange that averaged about 15 to 20 percent off list. Every other dealership I had worked with enough to recognize me in the past (mostly Nissan) started offering discounts pretty early in the relationship. The local Toyota store told me pretty firmly that the dealership management was not interested in that game, and that Toyota was going to be shutting that business model down. They said they could do list. I have still been in there quite a bit for things I needed quickly or wasn't worth shipping. This weekend I was picking up some small parts and the regular counter guy (who was not the decision maker on the pricing, but does always make sure I get marked down to list) was not there. The guy that ended up helping me at the counter was the assistant manager. He showed me the parts first to verify they were right things, and I made a comment like "not your problem if they're wrong, I gave him the part numbers." That started a conversation on what I was working on, and we all started joking about how much I was in there. He looked at my invoice and I swear, asked why I didn't have an account and why I was paying list.... I shared the story / history, and told him I wished I had met him a few thousand dollars back., and told him honestly where most of my money had been spent and why. Also that I appreciated his offer, but the big spending on OEM parts was pretty much done. His response was that if I was providing part numbers and not taking his counter guys time looking up parts for old vehicles, he had no problem giving me 15% off list. Guess where I'll be shopping in the future....

Jason

The newest application for that rotor is almost 10 years old. I'm not surprised a medium or small (or even some large) dealer would not have them at this point. Most vehicles of that age have migrated to the aftermarket.
Quality aftermarket is about the same price, sometimes more🤦‍♂️

I also find the aftermarket corrode at a faster higher rate

Quality aftermarket is about the same price, sometimes more🤦‍♂️

I also find the aftermarket corrode at a faster higher rate
Depends on the aftermarket supplier. The DBA T3 rotors I'm running are nicely made and coated.

I have been using my local dealer for OEM parts almost exclusively. Once they got to know me, saw me at the counter about every week or two, I started to get a discount. Shipping is free and if there's a problem (very rare) it's fixed on the spot, no waiting for charges to appear/disappear on the credit card.

All around it's a good deal to be able to walk (or call) in, pick up the part the next day while getting to know the guys behind the counter.

One thing I try to do is bring in the part numbers (often including mulitple small parts, nuts, bolts, etc) with me which speeds things up as they're often very busy. The guys seem to appreciate that.

FWIW

One thing I try to do is bring in the part numbers (often including mulitple small parts, nuts, bolts, etc) with me which speeds things up as they're often very busy. The guys seem to appreciate that.

I've found this goes one of two ways.

Guys are impressed that you have that knowledge, and are happy to have their job made easier
or,
They get butt hurt that you're challenging their competence and try to prove you wrong. Or insist on searching by VIN.

I've been told countless times "I can't help you if you don't give me the VIN".

Well, "the vehicle is modified, and you can find the relevant part details by using the information I'm giving you"

I think one advantage of having a clued up parts guy you can go to is having someone with ability to find substitute parts when a part number has been superseded. That's one thing I don't think you can do with partsouq etc

We still exist.

The structure of meaning for the professional aspect of parts has now transformed and made parts professionals extinct.

Ah yes, Amazoning commerce. Today's buyers are driven exclusively by price. No one is willing to pay for product knowledge and expertise. It's OK for them to make money but not the person on the other side of the counter or telephone.

Should have said clued up parts guy working behind a counter. Your tenure was a asset to the community and I know talents like yours would be wasted and under appreciated at a dealership in today’s price driven world. Warming to see the two OGs are off to bigger and better things!

Ah yes, Amazoning commerce. Today's buyers are driven exclusively by price. No one is willing to pay for product knowledge and expertise. It's OK for them to make money but not the person on the other side of the counter or telephone.

I've no problem with a supplier earning a profit. I have a problem being gouged everytime I open my wallet.
OEM parts from Toyota in Aus are double the price of OEM quality aftermarket parts. Or twice the price of Partsouq etc

I've no problem with a supplier earning a profit. I have a problem being gouged everytime I open my wallet.
OEM parts from Toyota in Aus are double the price of OEM quality aftermarket parts. Or twice the price of Partsouq etc
Same in Canada.

I just ordered parts from Japan 4x4, just a bit more than half price than local, including delivery! I am also going to have them on the 7th of December whereas 3 of the 4 parts if purchased locally had to come from California. I was told that would take 3-4 weeks, maybe longer🤦‍♂️

Dave Martin at Back 40 Imports is outstanding to work with and carries a good selection of OEM parts and a wealth of knowledge he enjoys sharing. Montana.

Not sure i completely agree. The subset of consumers on this from has shown they're willing to own and continue to invest in an asset that's far from the most economical choice for the purpose.

Personally I'm more than willing to pay a little extra for good service, sound advice and prompt processing. I think the difference is the "little extra" definition. With data at our fingertips it's much easier today than it was in years past to understand if we're paying that little extra or being gouged for 45%. In my experience, people are typically more spooled up about gouging (perceived or otherwise) and tend to share more vocally which leads to the perception everyone is solely focused on price.

Of course, i could be completely wrong. It's certainly happened before. :flipoff2:

Not sure i completely agree. The subset of consumers on this from has shown they're willing to own and continue to invest in an asset that's far from the most economical choice for the purpose.

Personally I'm more than willing to pay a little extra for good service, sound advice and prompt processing. I think the difference is the "little extra" definition. With data at our fingertips it's much easier today than it was in years past to understand if we're paying that little extra or being gouged for 45%. In my experience, people are typically more spooled up about gouging (perceived or otherwise) and tend to share more vocally which leads to the perception everyone is solely focused on price.

Of course, i could be completely wrong. It's certainly happened before. :flipoff2:
To build on the above: I was offered a 25% off deal at Megazip recently; because I spent so much last year. So, I really thought about "what do I need" and priced out a few stock up items. It turns out my nearby dealer who recently went online is competitive or cheaper. And, I can pick stuff up for free in about 2 days, or sometimes the next day.
To be fair, there are exceptions, for example Pistons are cheaper at Partsouq or Megazip. But, I won't (I hope) be needing them soon.
It DOES pay to shop, 'cause ya never know.

Personally I'm more than willing to pay a little extra for good service, sound advice and prompt processing. I think the difference is the "little extra" definition. With data at our fingertips it's much easier today than it was in years past to understand if we're paying that little extra or being gouged for 45%.

Totally agree, but where to find service, advice, and quick processing, and decent price.

If a true OEM equivalent is available at about half price, the gouge is basically 100% mark up.

I'm not ok with that, unless I need something urgently.
Paying 100% extra for identical product is stupid

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom