belt noise (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Anyone have a method to determine wether or not a belt squeal is from belts or bearings?

I used aftermarket belts around 10,000 miles ago and I am getting squealing again.

Increasing RPM's eleviates the noise as does belt dressing (temporarily).

The power steering pump is adjusted to it's tightest position, so I can't put any more tension on that belt. I believe the belt tension is and was set correctly.

Ghost,

No test that I know of. I would however use OEM on certain things. Hoses, plug wires and belts. Aftermarket may get "close" to original, but a slight variance in size could make a huge difference on how much you can tighten it. I highly doubt that they make an aftermarket belt just for the LC, most likely they have a book that gives them the "closest" thing to OEM, also quality wise I would think OEM. Spend a few extra bucks and get OEM belts and see what happens. Bearing wise, could be water pump, idler pulley, alternator, or power steering. Most common in my opinion would be the idler.

Yomama

aftermarket belts on 93+(and 91-2 I suppose) will make a howling noise, replace with a matched set of OEM belts.

PLEASE loosen up your belt untill then, overtight and it will take out the bearings(on alt, PS , snog, idler, ect), better loose than too tight, loose makes noise(tighten till no noise).....too tight cost money. I leave my belts loose enough that I can turn the belt(in the widest point) 180deg over itself.....hard to explain.

John H

GhostCruiser

I learned through this website that an aftermarket belts will always cause squeal, so I always use OEM belts and parts.

Hope this helps

Al

Also when the AC is turned on the noise goes away...

Repeat after me: "OEM belts boss, OEM belts boss,......" ;)

[quote author=cruiserdan link=board=2;threadid=4723;start=msg35717#msg35717 date=1062022558]
Repeat after me: "OEM belts boss, OEM belts boss,......" ;)
[/quote]

ya know.....for the most part(like 95% of the stuff) OEM Toyota is unmatched in quality. Hell even the wiper inserts are better than anything else out there!

John

John,

How much do I owe ya for that one? ;)

It's OK Rick, we're just having fun........ :D

[quote author=cruiserdan link=board=2;threadid=4723;start=msg35730#msg35730 date=1062024410]
John,

How much do I owe ya for that one? ;)
[/quote]

nothing it's a fact!

I'm not kidding about the wipers either, consumer reports even said they were better than any OEM or aftermarket blade and my experence would lead me to believe it.

sure there is some OEM stuff I try to find elsewere, like the wheelbearings(koyo) but seals, cap, rotor,plug wires, alts,belts, hoses, ect ect ect ect.....I use only OEM. I love the OEM plug wires....damn things are already set to the right length in the clips, the plug wires are the right length, have the correct bend.......and not much more than Belden.

Exhaust......$130(usally installed) for a lifetime(only if Toyota installs) muffler.....thats a deal IMOP.

some parts like cats......well I aint paying $800-1200 for a cat ;)

I do however use Wix filters, but OEM air filters and FF. red toyota anti freeze.....I got a case of it. OEM t-stats..................I think ya get the picture. I have learned that OEM Toyota parts are almost always worth the extra(if so) money.

John H(payment in OEM parts always accepted ;)

Man,

Ya just can't buy an ad like that one :D

close to $4000+ in OEM parts so far this year! I get more stuff than alot of the repair shops......

this weeks order
79 fj40 PS casting(this is the 2nd one I have got)
OEM rebuild kit for above
Clutch
Slave
Presure plate(reman)
bearings for above
oil pan gasket
rear main
t-case output seals and nuts
2(more) fj40 jump seat straps
and some other stuff I have misplaced already ::)

heck I even bought a new OEM 82 fj40 rubber mat(at $200+) not long ago. and got a new bottom seat cover for the 82......but I stashed it away for a latter day)

I aint preaching OEM Toyota, I just have learned(the hard way in some cases) what works.....for the most part you can't do better.

LOL.....I just started using the Toyota lube stuff........great stuff and works REALLY well after you use Kroil to loosen, but it turns out the Toyota lube is......Break Free (like in the gun cleaning stuff)

00530-1PL00 :D

Yup, it's made for Toyota by the folks that brought us Break-Free. It's not exactly the same blend, but good stuff none-the-less 8)

[quote author=GhostCruiser link=board=2;threadid=4723;start=msg35686#msg35686 date=1062017413]
Also when the AC is turned on the noise goes away...
[/quote]

The fact that turning on the AC quiets the noise suggests that the bearing in the ac clutch is going out.

[quote author=Rich link=board=2;threadid=4723;start=msg35837#msg35837 date=1062046970]
The fact that turning on the AC quiets the noise suggests that the bearing in the ac clutch is going out.
[/quote] I think I would try the OEM belts before the OEM air compressor that would be MUCH lighter on the wallet me thinks...

Yomama

I had aftermarket belts on my 3FE powered 80 when I bought it and it squealed like an unhappy pig.

OEMed the belts and rebuilt my power steering pump with the $29 kit from Toyota and she is MUCH quieter now.

I have no noises interfering with the clacking of my faithful 3FE :D

The noise is centered around the power steering pump, but the noise goes away when the RPM's are increased and the AC is turned on.

I'm thinking those two situations must create more tenison on the belts.

What I'm trying to figure out is if this indicates a belt only problem. It seems the bearing would make noise either way.

DanKunz,

Did that kit include any bearing replacments? Or is that another simple step when rebuilding the pump?

Ghost,
I am about to admit a really bad case of not seeing th forest through the trees. take heed. had the same problem on my 92. couldnt figure the damn thing out and just would shoot tri flow on the shaft and it would quiet down. went to change out the belts from am to oem and noticed that the inner bolt (think hinge bolt) on the power steering pump was backed out about 3mm. tightened it up and magically squeal was gone. I only recount as you have the mighty 3fe as well and cant hurt anything but my pride.
Dave

The kit I bought was all seals and o-rings.

I did not have any bearing issues so the rebuild was not needed there.

Ghost-
It is difficult to try to test the bearings without disassembly. The only things I know are to remove the belt and try first to wiggle the pulley to see if there is wobble in the bearing. Then try to rotate the pulley to see if you can feel any drag, drag in one spot, or tightness. Sometimes if a pulley/bearing has a seal associated with it (power steering etc.) a bad bearing will take out the seal by wobbling and there will be oil leaking. Unfortunately, you probably should try these tests both with the engine cold and after it has been run as a bearing can quiet down or loosen up one way or the other. With the way they do belts now that would be a rather large and ugly job. You almost need a PHD in belts anymore to figure out what to loosen to make an adjustment. $.02 worth.
Bill

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom