Bed Liner for FJ40 Interior (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
We are going to spray some form of bed liner in the interior of the FJ.

We don't have any experience with the bedliner brands.

I am looking for any recommendations. Also, do you want bare metal for the bedliner or do you want it to be primed or ???

I've used Raptor liner on a J**p and the underside of my FJ40. It sprays really well and very easily. I think the standard 4 bottles should be all you need, but I'd buy a few extra just in case... you want to re-coat it within the recoat window to get a good bond to prior coats... so to me it's worth spending a few more bucks to make sure you have enough, even if it means having some left over. Scuff sanding and recoating later would be pretty much a nightmare.

As for bare metal vs primer- Read up on that and do your own research, but I would highly recommend using a two part epoxy primer over bare metal. Epoxy is the only primer (as far as i'm aware) that actually seals the metal from moisture. Other types are only intended to create a good bond for top coats, but are porous and can allow metal to rust even when primed.

Also, there's a common misconception that bedliner is somehow a rust converter or rust preventer. That is not necessarily true. I say this because you asked whether to coat bare metal with it, which I infer to mean that you may be victim of this misconception. Pardon me if I'm wrong!!

Bedliner is intended to provide abrasion resistance. It's designed to resist friction or moderate hits really well without chipping, scratching deeply, or flaking off. So it's job is to keep the metal covered. But that's the extent of its rust preventative properties. Also, if somehow you lose your bond between the bedliner and the substrate, water can get trapped between the bedliner and the substrate. In that case, you want the metal to be sealed with epoxy primer so that it doesn't rust under the bed liner. Obviously you want the bedliner to be really really well bonded to the primer so that this never happens, it doesn't rust out without you realizing it's happening. My rig had a crappy rolled on herculiner in it. Aside from being sloppy, it looked great in the areas where it was still adhered. But once I started removing it, I found a surprising amount of rust in the front footwells underneath, due to trapped moisture.

So, my recommendation:
(1) Meticulously clean the bare metal with wax and grease remover until your rags come off perfectly clean on every square inch of the surface. Don't be lazy on this- it's tedious and you'll go through a lot of towels to get it right. Tack it down with tack rags to ensure no dust.
(2) Spray with epoxy primer. Doesn't need to be perfect looking since it will be covered with bedliner. You just need a good bond to the metal. Just buy a crappy harbor freight spray gun if you don't have one. You do want good water filtration on your air line though.
(3) while still within the recoat window of the epoxy (usually 72 hours), spray in your bedliner. You want to do it within the recoat window to avoid having to scuff sand the primer... so plan a weekend around this.

Good luck!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom