Battery Sparked No Power (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
A couple of different things going with the 40 but I’ll start where I’m lost first...I replaced a piece of fuel line from the fuel filter to the pump b/c she wouldn’t start except when putting gas in the carb and the hose was starting to disintegrate. New hose did not remedy. I have a 2amp trickle on the battery and had been trying to start it with no issues, turned over fine. I asked my wife to try and start it so I could see if maybe there was fuel leaking. The negative battery cable sparked and then there was no power period. She said she put her foot on the brake before starting it, hmmm could that have done it? I checked the fuses on the DS and they are all good. I spent a good time reading about fusible links here but am not seeing one on my rig, I think.
323B81B5-CFEC-4441-A3D9-C247740165E8.jpeg

a couple things I noticed when I pulled the battery to do the fuel hose. There was a black wire that looked like a ground coming from the starter solenoid(posted about this on a ground thread.) wondering if this could have shorted the battery ?

where the wires comes from;
2F6C525B-88E9-4DBA-8BBB-5CD263271C00.jpeg

What it looks like;
2C8B63F9-EE57-4022-8442-8CBF151BC008.jpeg

The loom it’s a part of;

95C8FE89-EEC9-401C-A997-4D26ED3C4981.jpeg

I’m not sure where to go from here?? Do I have a fusible link based on my pic? Did this mysterious black wire cause the short? How do I fix this??

And for another thread, why am I not getting fuel to the carb?? Maybe the stock fuel pump is dead...

Thanks in advance!!

Has this truck actually run while in your possession? I ask because there seems to be a lot of cobbled together stuff in your photos. There appears to be either several fuel filters, or maybe that's an electric fuel pump on the firewall? The red wire going from the battery positive into the harness looks like it would have eliminated the fusible link. What is the yellow Dewalt thing in the photos doing? The starter gets it ground from the frame and engine. Unlikely that the loose black wire is the problem with the starter unless it is the only chassis ground coming off the negative battery terminal. You can run a hot wire from the battery + to the lower small prong on the starter solenoid and make the starter engage. The engine will start if you do that while the key is on. Better be in neutral with the parking brake on when you jump it. If you have NO power at all when you turn on the key, start at the basics from the battery to the ignition switch. How about headlights, do they work?

Thanks, DougAustin!

I did as you said, for some reason my negative terminal was just loose enough it wasn’t grounding right, easy and right infront of my face, I also took the time clean all of the grounds I could find cover in grease and mud...

It runs well, I have had it for 8 or so years. The dewalt clamp was for the fuel line when I was changing it out. The fuel pump is from the PO, it’s not hooked up, not sure why I haven’t removed

I think I am going to put a fusible link there or some sort of fuse to protect the electrical. Any suggestions?

Contact @Coolerman for a kit that includes the fusible link and OEM connectors.

^^
That's where I got mine!

Thank you, Both! I reached out to Coolerman.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom