Battery Keeps Dying (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello,
A few months ago I bought an 85 FJ60, but recently I've had some battery problems. It started about two months ago when I think I left an interior light on overnight because in the morning when I tried to start it the battery was dead. When I tried to jump it, the battery sparked and started to smoke a little, so I immediately took the cables off. I brought the battery to my local auto shop and asked them to recharge it. After about an hour they called me and said the battery was shot and I needed a new one. After about a week with the new battery, it just died again. When I brought it back to get charged I was told that t was shot again and I needed a new one. I already bought a new alternator and my batteries keep dying. I am on my 5th battery now and I still don't know what the problem is.

At the same time as this battery problem, I noticed that my carburetor fan has stopped working and I haven't been able to figure out why. If anyone has any ideas on how that happened or how I can fix it that would be great. I'm not sure if this is related but both of my brake lights went out at the same time. It is just strange that both of them went out at the same time right when this all happened. I was thinking when I tried jumping it some fuses blew but I don't know.
Thank you for any ideas.

Alternator output at battery?...should be 13.5-14.5 volts at fast idle. Both brake lights at once?....Check switch. Carb fan?...several possibilities...Search function is your friend :)

If all the fuses are pulled and the battery doesn't discharge over night, the culprit is in one of those circuits. Process of elimination may identify the offender

When you turn the key on but before you start the truck does the Battery light on the dash turn on?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom