Battery Choices (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

RavenTai said:
orbital’s .. are they are small in physical size, much smaller than the battery tray can hold.

Not entirely accurate , as above pic will demonstrate ... fits snug as a bug without mods to the battery tray or hold down .

TY

flintknapper said:
Then I pray that Toyota has some very strict specifications for them to be built by.

Intetrstate is famous for leaking (at the top) batteries.

I'll definitely pass on them everytime.

Funny........Johnson Controls make most interstate batteries and they are the makers of Optimas.
From what I have read and coded Delphi and Johnson Controls are the main battery makers for the US.
The Toyota batteries are made under interstate and I wouldn't buy one.
Seems the "leaking" is more like "venting" around the cell covers. My Die Hard in my mini has done it as far as I can remember, which I contribute to deep cycling it and the use of my excessive stereo, lights etc. But I have bought cheaper batteries that have vented since new. Champions come to mind.
Here's a link I just found that is pretty interesting. http://www.uuhome.de/william.darden/batbrand.htm

Never had troubles with optima, just put a 34R in my LX. $114 shipped to my door from FL. Will send ya dealers contact if interested. required spacer on bottom.

Bear80 said:
Funny........Johnson Controls make most interstate batteries and they are the makers of Optimas.
From what I have read and coded Delphi and Johnson Controls are the main battery makers for the US.
The Toyota batteries are made under interstate and I wouldn't buy one.
Seems the "leaking" is more like "venting" around the cell covers. My Die Hard in my mini has done it as far as I can remember, which I contribute to deep cycling it and the use of my excessive stereo, lights etc. But I have bought cheaper batteries that have vented since new. Champions come to mind.
Here's a link I just found that is pretty interesting. http://www.uuhome.de/william.darden/batbrand.htm

I'll be happy to call it "excessive venting" if that is more palatable...,but the end result is battery acid all over the top and sides of the battery which eventually rusts and corrodes anything metal around it, particularly battery trays.

krich97 said:
I also like the idea of having greater vibration resistance, lighter weight, more capacity, longer life, and I am hoping that a big drycell would hold enough reserve power to mimic a dual battery set up without the added weight and complexity.

I have looked at the Odessy and the Optima models - any preferences?

Some of your objectives are in conflict with each other. In particular weight and capacity are directly proportional. It is primarily the amount of lead that determines the amp hour capacity of the battery. Notice that the lighter weight Optimas have lower amp hour and reserve capacity ratings. With respect to capacity, the Optimas are also at an additional disadvantage due to the packaging space wasted by the cylindrical cells.

T Y L E R said:

Not entirely accurate , as above pic will demonstrate ... fits snug as a bug without mods to the battery tray or hold down .

TY

TY, you got a good battery and it does fit the tray fine but there is space left did not mean to imply that is did not fit just that it does not fill the available space.

Orbital 34 xcd group 34 size

578 Cbuic Inches, 41 pounds, 50 AH, CCA?

Group 27 AGM, the 80's tray is built for a BCI group 27 battery, anything larger is difficult to fit,

733 cubic inches, 65 pounds, 104AH 575CCA

good ol' napa has mil-spec terminals, and everything you need to make heavy, sealed cables.

It is pricey though.

krich97 said:
Dan,
the acid seems to be collecting around the battery retainer bar and there is evidence of it in the battery tray - I did not see anything that made me think it was cracked or leaking from the bottom.

K

K,

You need to get this cleaned up ASAP. Nothing short of removing the battery, the tray, and start scrubbing. That acid will cause severe corrosion in a very short time. I used liquid Dawn in a bucket of soapy water.

-B-

Odyessys are great, I have pair in my fj40, but I needed these small batteries(the 1200's) because of limited space to run dual batts.

I am not a fan of the Optima, I have a pile of dead ones(mosly yellow tops)

My preference is the Exide Orbital, I have 4-5 of these and they seem to be doing great, I use the Extreme versions, about $110 if you shop.

I run dual optima's and love em. Absolutely no complaints and there is a small :D amount of electrical crap connected to mine.

Optima red top in front, blue top marine in the rear....both work great!

-H-
Battery Box 3.jpg

Beowulf said:
K,

You need to get this cleaned up ASAP. Nothing short of removing the battery, the tray, and start scrubbing. That acid will cause severe corrosion in a very short time. I used liquid Dawn in a bucket of soapy water.

-B-
Actually I think what you really want is baking soda, which is a base and will counteract the acid from the battery, a mixture of water and baking soda works pretty well.

We had a odd experience with this at my church, this older lady said her car wouldn't start, we go look, the battery terminal (side terminal) had fallen off, we look closer and notice the screw-in part (that is in the battery) was ripped out, no apparent reason, just ripped clean out, acid was dripping/pouring out of the 1" hole in the side where that terminal useto be. The odd thing was you could hold that ripped off piece up there and the inside lights would come on, so it was getting a connection but not enough to start. She said this same thing happened before (didn't really believe her, but we couldn't figure out how it happened this time, so maybe she was right). I went and bought her a new battery as the others flushed it all out, 15 minutes later of straight water and baking soda and you could still find acid in pockets where it was still hiding...really nasty!!

I've never seen a battery terminal rip off like that, in a bone-stock saturn, battery was clamped down very solid, etc, absolutely no explaination at all for it, but was a mess to cleanup.

What is the difference between Orbital models such as the XCD and say the DC which is actualy more expensive??

Is it Ok to use the Optima Blue (D34M) as a single battery (I ask because some of the stores around here have them and not the full size yellows they have only the 625cca model - the roads are closed due to rains and nobody has been able to restock) -- I know this is a marine battery but why/ how is it different from the yellow?

Can you fit two of the small yellow D51 625cca ( 9.4" x 5.1" x 8.9" - L W H) side by side in the stock tray?

Thanks -

K

B -

I know this acid has to be cleaned - I mixed a solution of baking soda and water to neutralize the acid and applied liberally and then left baking soda in the bottom of the tray to stop new acid - I figured I would remove the tray when I swapped out the batter

krich97, I think the XCD's are deep cycles, not that familiar with the deatils of the orbitals though,

the optima blue top is the same battery as the yellow top (dual pourpose deep cycle/starting) with out the side terminals that are optional on some of the yellow top's (the side posts are liability) and instead has extra threaded terminals for marine use.

IIRC there is a price and warrenty diffrence also. thier web site has the details

I'll never own another Optima battery. They suck. Talked to a few folks where I got mine from and they said "yeah, we know they suck".

Junk said:
I'll never own another Optima battery. They suck. Talked to a few folks where I got mine from and they said "yeah, we know they suck".
I agree; they suck almost as much as Junk.

Red tops are not heavy duty friendly. They are more for race cars or show trucks. I have had OK luck with yellow tops and, currently, goo luc with a blue top as a second batt.

I install a s***load of orbitals. They rock and are cheaper!

dd113 said:
I install a s***load of orbitals. They rock and are cheaper!

Curious .. you see a bunch of the orbitals Dave . Do you think I could run a dual orbital setup in the stock tray ? I can measure it easy enough .. just thought you may have eye-balled it already .

TY

Just get the non-USA battery tray stuff, and do it right....

-Steve

Poser said:
Just get the non-USA battery tray stuff, and do it right....

-Steve

An excuse to stop by in the summer ... a small one , but still an excuse . :beer:

TY

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom