Battery Choices (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
OK so I know some have definite opinions against using dry cell batteries, but I am tired of my regular style one leaking acid (it is only a year old too!!)

I also like the idea of having greater vibration resistance, lighter weight, more capacity, longer life, and I am hoping that a big drycell would hold enough reserve power to mimic a dual battery set up without the added weight and complexity.

I have looked at the Odessy and the Optima models - any preferences?

Thanks in advance!

Optima Yellow Top

Get dual optima yellow tops. I've had them for years and have abused the hell out of them without a single problem. Match them with military terminals and they will run numerous items.

Acid leaks are an indication of a problem, they are not normal. Something is not right there.

I have checked the voltage of the battery by itself and while charging (running) and the system seems to be pumping out juice but not excessively that I could tell. Also the current battery did go dead once while the 80 sat for 10 days perhaps due to the alarm and maybe not being fully charged up before sitting. I had it checked and was told that it was still good - but it has slowly created acid on the exterior since I can remember . The original owner put it in and the date was October 03 - it is not the highest quality out there but still . . .

Where is the acid showing up?

Definition of problem:

See "Interstate battery", I am convinced that they are engineered to leak!

You couldn't give me a dozen interstates.

I agree with the above post.........Optima yellow tops (I have had red tops on a bronco for nine years now, no joking) and military lugs.

Hmm,

Toyota's OEM replacement batteris here in the US are produced by Interstate for Toyota.

cruiserdan said:
Hmm,

Toyota's OEM replacement batteris here in the US are produced by Interstate for Toyota.

Then I pray that Toyota has some very strict specifications for them to be built by.

Intetrstate is famous for leaking (at the top) batteries.

I'll definitely pass on them everytime.

Dan,
the acid seems to be collecting around the battery retainer bar and there is evidence of it in the battery tray - I did not see anything that made me think it was cracked or leaking from the bottom.

K

What are military terminals???

I have one in mine. I did have one that was leaking out around the positive post but I interpreted that ment the post had been twisted during installation of the positive cable to the positive terminal stud..........maybe that was not the case then.

Anyway, I read that you agree with me in that leakage is not normal and indicates a problem. Either related to some sort of failure in the battery case or a condition such as over-charging or sulfation.

D-

C-Dan, if your talking to me then yes, I am saying that any battery that leaks has a problem and that it is NOT normal. I am also saying that many, many interstate batteries have this problem.

We changed to Optima batteries about ten years ago on our Foretravel coaches primarily for this reason. I have seen hundreds removed because of leakage and it continues with their (interstate) batteries to this day. I honestly don't see how they sell them.....in about a year or so if your interstate isn't leaking better check the water/acid level.
My opinion.

I have some that I got from Curtis/Barnes. Do get positive and negative specific terminals. A positive does not fit at all well on a negative post.

So far I'm happy with my Exide Orbital Extreme .... been a week and it's doing well :D

Got dem der 'military' style terminals as well ..

Orbital.jpg

That looks like a battery, only smaller.....:D

cruiserdan said:
That looks like a battery, only smaller.....:D

*belly laughing here!*

Stop that ! You're making me freak out my cat .. :flipoff2:

Seriously though , every time I look at that pic I think .. Hmmm , why don't I change the orientation of that battery and place a second right next to it .. even if I have to mod the retention system a bit .. be nice 'lil dual setup .

Probably the size of a half case ... :beer:

i'd get the optima yellow top. they are known to be the best and everyone i know that has lights, crazy stereo stuff, winches, and more all hooked up it, it does it justice. i know when i get new and more batteries thats where ill go to.

krich97 said:
OK so I know some have definite opinions against using dry cell batteries,

I have not heard anybody say anything bad about AGM batteries ("dry cell’s") in general except for they are expensive, some do not like optima's in particular because of bad experiences with them, I do not know if that is because a lot of people have them and therefore a lot of problems are reported making a false sense of reliability problems when the percentage is actually low or maybe there are there are real problems with them, probably only jhonson controls knows for sure what the real deal is.

The thing that bugged me about Optima's, orbital’s and odyssey’s are they are small in physical size, much smaller than the battery tray can hold. They still have excellent cranking ability (expressed in CCA) and will work well for the main reason for having a battery but the small size shows in their reserve capacity or amp hours (AH) I wound up with a pair of group 27 (fills the tray) Concorde "Lifeline" batteries not much CCA's but I think they will be sufficient, what interested me is they have over twice the AH of most other AGM batteries. Hope to report on them soon

long thread with details

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom