Barn Find 74 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just last week I told my daughter I would never again restore an old car unless it was an FJ40. I spent three years fixing up my rusty 1985 60.

I was looking at an old cabin up in the mountains. Before we left I asked the real estate agent if I could look in the garage that we were unable to open. I forced the door open and this was inside.

ADE94BD0-AB3E-4A4A-AEB2-4FAA2CA37932.jpeg

I know nothing about it. The previous owner died without a will and the entire house is being sold as is with everything in it. There isn’t a title either. Looks like everything is original. It has a three speed and the F155. The body is in great condition.

BA913047-D898-420D-B02B-B0E78013BEA2.jpeg

I would just get a new soft top, put tires on it, replace any dry rotted seals/soft parts, change the oil and go!
You have to keep this thread going now!

Here’s the big question. Do I keep it as a a beater/trail truck and preserve it enough for my kids to restore it? Judging by the condition of the engine, should I replace it or restore it? I have always wanted a fully restored daily driver 40 with all the modern conveniences. I think it would be cheaper to buy one that already has power steering, disc brakes and a more modern engine. I need some opinions. I have read hundreds of posts on this topic before. I sunk a lot of money into my 60 so I know the depth of the money pit.

771DCBA9-4D0A-403D-A37D-5C8EEB3F74B0.jpeg

Lol that thing is not a beater or trail truck. Wash it, get it running and stopping and drive as it
I have to 100% agree. This is a survivor.

I have to 100% agree. This is a survivor.
Go through it and drive it. Then pass it on to your kids when the time comes, OP!

Don’t you dare Chevota that or trail rig it.

Be sure to get a bill of sale signed by executor of the estate along with a copy of the documents proving that person has the authority to sell it. Use a standard automobile bill of sale contract from the internet. Don't know about the law in California, but you may have some interesting hoops to jump through to get a clear title.

Since he died intestate, it is extremely important that you create a bullet proof paper trail. If you have an attorney, it would certainly be wise to throw some money his way especially looking at the quality of the FJ40 you are dealing with.

Please, please keep us posted on this including posting more photographs. If this were mine, I would take this very slowly. If this is a true survivor it is worth much more keeping it as stock as possible. If you remove anything such as the engine/tranny be sure to keep them. Photographically document everything.

Last edited:
Be sure to get a bill of sale signed by executor of the estate along with a copy of the documents proving that person has the authority to sell it. Use a standard automobile bill of sale contract from the internet. Don't know about the law in California, but you may have some interesting hoops to jump through to get a clear title.

Since he died intestate, it is extremely important that you create a bullet proof paper trail. If you have an attorney, it would certainly be wise to throw some money his way especially looking at the quality of the FJ40 you are dealing with.

Please, please keep us posted on this including posting more photographs. If this were mine, I would take this very slowly. If this is a true survivor it is worth much more keeping it as stock as possible. If you remove anything such as the engine/tranny be sure to keep them. Photographically document everything.
Good advise. In Georgia I would be able to register it with a BOS but not in some other states. California? Sheesh. Who knows. I had to jump through some ridiculous hoops to get my BJ73 registered and titled in Virginia. @dieseldog knows

Thanks for the legal advice. I’ll have that worked out by their probate lawyers.

Thanks to everyone for your input. I was having impure thoughts about LS engines before. I’m glad the community appreciates its uniqueness. I was leaning toward keeping it old school so my kids could appreciate it in the future. I will keep everyone posted as I find out more.

I'd keep it as a survivor. If that is the original paint you have something that can't be replicated. There is a saying things can be restored any number of times, but it's only original once.

Can you imagine what that thing would bring detailed with original paint?

If it runs paint the air filter, valve cover, new hood latches. Bring as many things back to original with out a body repaint.

If you are not into that kind of thing, someone on here will be. Like me for instance.

Last edited:
I'm not an attorney. I just know how things can get seriously screwed up in estates. Don't depend solely on the probate lawyers. Have your attorney look over the paperwork.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom