BaoFeng dual band handy talkie $29 on amazon act fast (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

They worked quite well on the trail over the weekend. Although, we were all pretty close by, there is no static, etc. on them. I think you will be pretty pleased with the quality of transmission.

Thanks HH, kinda what I figured. I'm gonna let you guys play guinea pig on the radios before I make my choice but I'll have one in hand before GSMTR.

The short answer is yes. But as Andy pointed out, even a long time licensed user told him to get the radio and get used to it while he studied. Additionally, we are not out there raising hell on high power and hitting repeaters so it is likely nobody will hear us or care. Enforcement is pretty much focused on rogue radii stations so imo these are self policing.

Heifer-net

The answer is definitely a yes. You can do a lot of things that are considered illegal in the US because these radios are built in China. Their range of operation is MUCH MUCH greater than what you are allowed to operate on 1) as a ham, 2) with standard sportsman walkie talkies (FRS and GMRS) and 3) as a commercial entity (business, taxi, police or whatever). To add to it, most of those scenarios are limited power output (max 1 watt), but this radio will produce 5 watts. You are legally only allowed to transmit at 5 watts on HAM frequencies. You are technically not allowed to transmit on the FRS or GRMS with these radios because they a) can transmit on higher that 1 watt, and b) have a removable antennae. You are not allowed to transmit on the commercial frequencies either, because businesses have to have a license in order to use those frequencies as well.

The really short answer is just memorize the questions and take the test. You can download a phone app that has sample tests and it only costs $15 for a 10 year license. Then you can just stick to HAM frequencies.

With that said, you don't have to have a license in your hand in order to push the transmit button. Do as I say, not as I do :D:D But now you know

They worked quite well on the trail over the weekend. Although, we were all pretty close by, there is no static, etc. on them. I think you will be pretty pleased with the quality of transmission.

I heard you call us after you hit the gas station. We were pretty far south having driven down to a Marathon someplace south of Caryville.
I am not sure where you were when you called.

go through some of the practice tests on eham.net until you answer more than you miss for a few rounds. Test is not that hard. A few nights for couple of hours right before the test and you would be good.

The answer is definitely a yes. You can do a lot of things that are considered illegal in the US because these radios are built in China. Their range of operation is MUCH MUCH greater than what you are allowed to operate on 1) as a ham, 2) with standard sportsman walkie talkies (FRS and GMRS) and 3) as a commercial entity (business, taxi, police or whatever). To add to it, most of those scenarios are limited power output (max 1 watt), but this radio will produce 5 watts. You are legally only allowed to transmit at 5 watts on HAM frequencies. You are technically not allowed to transmit on the FRS or GRMS with these radios because they a) can transmit on higher that 1 watt, and b) have a removable antennae. You are not allowed to transmit on the commercial frequencies either, because businesses have to have a license in order to use those frequencies as well.

The really short answer is just memorize the questions and take the test. You can download a phone app that has sample tests and it only costs $15 for a 10 year license. Then you can just stick to HAM frequencies.

With that said, you don't have to have a license in your hand in order to push the transmit button. Do as I say, not as I do :D:D But now you know

"You [who?] are legally only allowed to transmit at 5 watts on HAM frequencies."

Where did you get this notion? In reference to what frequencies?

Basically, IMO, don't get this radio without a HAM license. The fine is hefty if you get caught.

"You [who?] are legally only allowed to transmit at 5 watts on HAM frequencies."

Basically, IMO, don't get this radio without a HAM license. The fine is hefty if you get caught.

How can u get caught? How can they tell who or where you are at ?

Sent from my iPhone on the road.

How can u get caught? How can they tell who or where you are at ?

Come on Z... you know better than this, do it right or don't do it. We've tried to act as a responsible wheeling group and that should extent to HAM or any other hobby for that matter. :cheers:

Come on Z... you know better than this, do it right or don't do it. We've tried to act as a responsible wheeling group and that should extent to HAM or any other hobby for that matter. :cheers:

I wasn't saying I wanted 1 and didn't want to take the test. I'm just wondering how it different than a cb In how it's tracked.

Sorry for the confusion I will take the test b4 I use a ham. I'm just trying to understand them. Guess I should take the test lol.

I'm not the expert on tracking but if the FCC wanted to pinpoint a radios transmitting locations is easy. Its like looking in a room full of shouting people and figuring out who's loudest. You just move around until you find it. Google the fines. Anywhere from 10k-50k+.

The reason you need the license is so that you must know what you're doing. Too much power? Legal frequency? Limiting transmit to only as much power as you need, Etc.

Anyone can learn to drive a car but licensing keeps people safe and organized.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747

Also, those radios do transmit an identity. Kind of like a MAC address on a computer. But the truth is, the FCC is not after Ham radio users unless what they are doing is disruptive, profane or inflammatory. It is also a responsible self-policing community.
Drive like an a****** and you will eventually get caught or shunned by your friends. Try to be responsible the best you can and everybody is pretty understanding.

In Canada, and quite likely the US, it is illegal to transmit on the HAM frequencies without a license.

You can however do it under the supervision of a licensed user.

In our club, when we are miles back in the woods, we will often loan a handheld to an unlicensed club member so they can keep up with the trail banter. Just like you sometimes let your unlicensed kids drive your truck for a while on an easy trail.

In town, there are lots of HAM geeks that will look for unlicensed users and then track them down and report them.

It is quite easy to get a license these days, there is really no excuse not to.

Thx for all the info! Very helpful. I won't ever transmit with out taking the test those fines are hefty. I just know nothing about all the gadgets lol. Just learned how to tune my cb antenna lmao.. So I'm trying to learn about all the technology y'all got in ur rigs lol.

Thanks again for all ur help.

you're all good buddy. We all know you were just asking as a hypothetical and for the good of anyone who reads this thread :flipoff2: :rolleyes:

you're all good buddy. We all know you were just asking as a hypothetical and for the good of anyone who reads this thread :flipoff2: :rolleyes:

Ah jeez here it goes :flipoff2:

And yes it was for the good of the thread ! :)

Read through it again and it wasn't as clear as I had wanted. Let me clarify: An amateur radio operator is only allowed to transmit at the 5 watt setting on the UV-5R on the 2M/70cm frequencies. No one is allowed to transmit at the 5 watt setting on any of the other frequencies with that radio.

I've never heard of the radios sending out an "IP address" of sorts. I guess its possible, but highly doubtful with these little guys... They can very easily triangulate a radio's position and they do that all the time at the HAMfests with their transmitter hunts. They hide a small radio that transmits a message every 30 or 60 seconds and people walk around with a directional antennae until they find it. There are crusty old dudes who find violators for fun and report them. The last time I heard someone get shouted down was after they found a "CB" at a flea market and plugged it up. That poor girl got everyone all excited and she quickly apologized and stopped transmitting.

It is very unlikely that an unlicensed person will get caught, but its very easy to get the license and do it right.

If you had this radio and you were unlicensed, you could however do ANYTHING within its capabilities in an emergency. Your definition may vary.

:eek: Holy hell Batman! First a LED light bar, now a HAM.... what is next? :hmm: Maybe a rock crawler eventually??? :lol:

took the leap this morning, Baofeng UV-5RA with USB cable on the way for $42 shipped

I already know the answer, but what's the report back from having the Baofeng at GSMTR?

yep I guess since all the cool kids are doing it...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom