BaoFeng dual band handy talkie $29 on amazon act fast (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I did so much research before I got mine I don't even know where I'd start to tell you everything I found out.

Boils down to this though: If you use the Chirp software (free download) to do all the programming, the programming features on the unit itself aren't as important. Personally, I went with a tad bit nicer and newer model, the UV-82. Main reason being slightly more ease of operation and better form factor (better button/screen layout IMO). http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00E4KLY34/?tag=ihco-20 Heck, it's even on sale at about the same price as all the other inexpensive ones. ~$35
I am going to check that one out and maybe get a s a apsare radio.

So how is everyone liking their radios? I have some birthday $$ and was thinking of picking one up. Did anyone settle on a good basic unit for a guy who will be using it for trail rides like GSMTR, OTMT, and the like? UV5, UV82, others? UV5, UV82, others, need an add-on antenna, etc?

well worth the investment I think. The ext ant will definitely help for 2 events/locations: GSMTR and the cove, aside from that the small antennae is sufficient. Elective options worth considering are the PC programming cable, the hand help mic and possibly an extra battery or 12V adapter charger for longer trips. Honestly for +/- $50 it's a no brainer.

Nick and I (and others) have the UV-5RA and it's a decent little radio. Standardising on radios seems to make things a little easier for programming and learning/teaching about features.

Agree!

I haven't charged mine since I got my license and the damn thing is still on 100%!

This looks like a good deal. Looks like the newer model of the 5RA

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HVHNNL8?psc=1

Plus I can pick a color :cool:

Edit: Would this antenna work with it. I noticed the 144/430 frequency and was thinking you all used 146.400 and seeing as I know nothing about these radios was wondering if the "144" in the description meant it was only for that frequency or if that is just to show it is a dual band antenna.

Last edited:
that's a technical question best asked of people that actually know something about these little radios which probably ain't here. All I know how to do is press the button and talk into it.

Happy belated birthday by the way.

The BF-F9 tri power seems like a good upgrade for just a little more. Having 1/4/8 watts could help in the mountains.

Jynx, as I'm fresh on studying for the HAM tech license, I can tell you that the Nagoya antenna is recommended by many with the radios .
My understanding is that the 144/430 refers to it being a 1/4 wave antenna for 144 and 5/8 wave for 430

Here's an antenna length calculator. It shows the 1/4 wave for 144 should be 19", but the Nagoya shows to be 15". Nonetheless, it's popular.
http://www.csgnetwork.com/antennaevcalc.html

ETA- if anyone wants to take the tech test, here is a great booklet to prepare for the test. codes like T9A03 are the actual 2014 Q/A codes. www.QRZ.com has a practice test. The book made a big difference in my test scores in just two days, from 43 with no book to 92 after reading it.
http://www.kb6nu.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/09/2014-no-nonsense-tech-study-guide-v1.1.pdf

Last edited:
I thought I read somewhere above in this thread that 5W was the max legal power you could use. I saw that F9, but figured the that was a no-no with the 8W variation. Of course my knowledge of the HAM scene consists pretty much of what I have read in this thread so I am probably off base on that assumption. Also, do you have to physically go somewhere to take the test. I haven't even gotten that far yet.

@tkinze thanks for the wishes.

Edit: Well I pulled the trigger on the BF-F9 and the Nagoya antenna, should be here next week. Guess I need to see what I need to do to get my license now.

Last edited:
max power for HAM is 1500w.

http://www.arrl.org/find-an-amateur-radio-license-exam-session
This link will help you find a testing location. Usually they're given by local HAM clubs, and cost around $15. I think they can charge $7 to administer, so maybe $22 total.

If you register at QRZ.com, you can click resources, and select the 2014 technicians practice exam. The practice test, along with the pdf above will make getting the license easy.

I'm figuring that the 1W on the BF-f9 would allow for use on the trails without the signal going very far, and interfering with other broadcasts, so one might be able to get away with it, but for $15, it's worth having the license. As I looked into HAM, I've seen that some Ham guys are pretty anal about illegal use, have means of determining your location, and will make it their mission to find you and turn you into FCC. According to a NY Times article, the max fine is $10K, and a guy was busted twice and fined $750 [ETA- he was running an illegal radio station broadcasting music on FM 103.1]. While the chances of getting caught on a low watt HT might be slim, it's cheap prevention to get the license.

the 144 and 430 reference two different bands or ranges the radio can transmit on... thats why its called a dual-band radio. Think of the analogy of uhf and vhf.... the tv can receive on both (back in the old caveman days)...but it has to be made for that. Same way on the radio stuff. THere are single band radios and dual band and triple band. Basically that means that the radio can transmit and receive on more than one band. When you think of band...just equate that to a range of frequencies.

http://www.arrl.org/files/file/Regulatory/Band Chart/Hambands_bw.pdf

http://www.arrl.org/frequency-allocations

Notice the range spelled out for 2 meters and 70 centimeters

The most common band used is 2 meters or the range of frequencies between 144-148.

The noted handhelds above apparently have some expanded ability to transmit-receive. Bands can generally be considered a range of frequencies that a radio can receive and or transmit on. Ham radio has naming conventions for all that stuff. See links on that.

For off-road the 2 meter or the range of frequencies we use is between 144-148, the 2nd most popular frequency set is the 70 Centimeter one.

Recall that as capabilities go up on the radio the price goes up and the license requirements go up.

The ability to determine a location on a mobile unit transmitting is not worth worrying about....but in general you should pursue obtaining your license and do things right. Unless you get on a repeater link and abuse the rules/protocol there...its unlikely you would ever hear anything about it.

There are rules about use of power on certain frequencies/bands....don't worry about that since ham has rules and specific regulations for just about everything. The radio should be configured to comply with the law...if you were to connect an amp and transmit "illegal" on the wrong ham frequencies...then that would be "dumb". The handheld units are low power..., but even with low power ham is far above and better than CB for range and clarity of communication. Yes there are rules about max transmit power.... nothing to worry about really, just get a radio of your choice on 2meters or dual band radio 2 meters and 70 centimeters and go forth...get the license and no problems.

Last edited:
Thanks for that clarification Elbert. As I said, it's all new to me.

no problem....I have a ham lic...but I only really use ham off-road. So I'm new or a real novice at ham stuff too....kind of a green-horn on some of the 4wd stuff too. Really the ham equipment to buy for off-road is the 2 meter stuff...as it has the by far the largest user base and the cheapest equipment and its the easiest to get into...that an 70cm.

Really off-road ham use is very informal... basically the big thing to know is what frequency is in use....that's about all the protocol is, based on my experience. Like many things there are mostly good guys screwing around with it and just use it for a means of comms...and keep the dumb stuff off the air. Mainly we use it simplex (which means without a repeater) duplex (means with the use of a repeater)...

Like a some things you can spend major $$ on ham gear and have the top level licenses to use it all but that's fairly big $$ for someone who is serious. So while I'm generally aware that there is higher level ham gear and various different requirements...for the average guy....2m and 70cm is basically the only stuff to understand and have working knowledge on...of course thats purely my view.

I know that this is going to greatly improve the range of the radio but I feel like this seems ridiculous.

4" radio - check, 16" antenna - Yep!

20150218_172401.jpg

My antenna is about 12". Make sure u have an external antenna for truck.

i had to get two of the 5rv2+ models with the nagoya antenna... have to say for the money...good purchase so far. Seems to be a good value..this model has the larger battery so we will see how things go. I'll get the chirp software..got the cable that is suppose to work for programming.

I just want something thats easy to use and dependable...with these things...the price is not too crazy...such that if you lost or damaged one it would not be too much of a meltdown event.. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom