BaoFeng dual band handy talkie $29 on amazon act fast (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I've been thinking about getting one of these for a while now due to the recommendation from multiple fellow wheelers, but there's a ton of them at slightly varying prices on Amazon.

Andrew, can you tell me, very specifically, which one to get? I did a search to try to narrow it down but the following still turned up 34 results: Electronics › BaoFeng › $25 to $50 › New › "UV-5R".

Also which accessories are mandatory, like the data cable and charger, and which are highly recommended, like the handset and which software?

EDIT: After some research, I'm leaning towards the UV-82 vice the UV-5R series: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00E4KLY34...UTF8&colid=NPSTKVACNMS0&coliid=I30FD8MBP20OFV
Any input on that Andrew?

Last edited:
Steve,

I did some reading on Amazon and the reviews since I am not that familiar with these radios. Try this for some FAQs.
http://www.miklor.com/uv5r/

Comments from Amazon reviews
I own a UV-5R+ and run a Nagoya NA-701 Antennae on top. After reading several reviews, I decided to give the UV-82 a shot. First and foremost, in my opinion and based on my first impressions of the radio - it does have better reception with it's own stock antennae than the UV-5R+ does with even the Nagoya. Our local repeater is 10 miles away and I was able to hear the net check tonight without having to go outside. The reception's sound was amazing, the guys came in loud and clear.

As the other gentleman said, the radio fits better in your hand as is larger than the UV-5R and UV-B5/6 series. This radio is solid & well built - it's made for work and everyday use.

The squelch actually works on this model. Both of my radios are set to 5. The UV-82 doesn't pick up as much key check and static from guys hitting the repeaters, not so with the UV-5R.

The manual is 'now more better', but the Chinese would do well to hire an American or Brit to proofread the copy first. For first time radio operators, it actually explains what the radio functions in the menu do (ex. actual explains the BCL utility). This bit of detail was lacking in the UV-5R product line (though more support sites exist for that model.)

Also, this UV-82 series has two PTT buttons, so you can set it up to monitor two repeaters on A/B, selectively scan those stations and unlike the UV-5R, don't have to hit the A/B button switch between frequencies.

Moving on, there are some issues I have with the UV-82 radio;

As stated, the reception is very good, but it's super sensitive on some FM frequencies (especially on FM Radio RX, I live right down the mountain from a FM station and it picks up a frequency click, while the UV-5R does not). One reviewer rightly tagged it for having some harmonics issues.

1) You lose the VFO/M button. With this system, you have to hold the menu button and turn the unit on and off to switch between frequency and memory. While a bit annoying, it wasn't hard to get used to.
2) Unlike the UV-5R series, the UV-82 doesn't sit well on a flat surface. The radio's own base could be better.
3) The charging base is a bit lacking, you almost have to angle the radio right to fit it in the slot so that it starts to charge.

Han'sHam site has a fix here for the base: http://hamgear.wordpress.com/?s=UV-82&submit=Search

Product experts abound on the internet: but the UV-82 has a fairly small knowledge base compared to the tried and true UV-5R and it's steady cousin the B5. Before you buy, contact Martyn at Radio Mart to see if this is a good fit for you, he knows more about these radios than most and you can call him on the phone. He also sponsors the UV-82 Yahoo support group.

All and all - I wouldn't give up the UV-5R yet if you plan on switching it out for a UV-82, it's done right by me and it suits most of my needs. I do like this UV-82 though and most likely will get another antennae for it soon.

However: all and all, it's a performer, significantly more noticeable power than the previous series, very good sound and excellent reception.

REVIEW #2
I have mixed emotions about this model. Baofeng seems to keep creating essentially the same radios only with firmware changes and most of them area minor yet brings a new model number. This Baofeng though is truly different in some ways. One that definitely needs getting used to (and could get you into trouble) is the dual frequency push to talk switch. Depress the upper part of the push to talk button and the upper (displayed) frequency is transmitted on, and receive switched to that frequency also. Depress the bottom of the push to talk button and the lower (displayed) frequency is transmitted on and receive also switched to that frequency. If you aren't on top of things you could transmit on a frequency that you didn't mean to transmit on and given that this radio is like a commercial radio in that it will transmit wherever it hears you could easily transmit on a band/frequency that you are not supposed to transmit on.

One of the biggest aggregations I have and difference from the UV-5 series is there is no longer a switch button to switch from frequency entry mode or channel mode. The only way to switch is to turn the radio off and re-power it back on while holding down the MENU button then the radio toggles from one mode to the other, either frequency entry (where you punch in your frequencies and used for programming memories) or channel mode where you switch between channels.

The battery life of the radio is also long and the radio has great transmit audio but the receiver is subject to many of the failings of the UV5 series which means it receives lots of inter mod and interference such as from remote controls for automobile. Click to open your sliding van doors or unlock your doors and you will hear the pops through the radio's receiver. I am not sorry I purchased the UV-82 but it could use some real upgrades to make it a much better readio. Bring back the frequency mode switch button. Change the frequency channel programming so that it is more intuitive and easier without having to re-enter the transmit frequency all the time. A menu item that disables the dual frequency push to talk button performance would also be useful where the user could choose to use the push to talk button as it is or change it to where your push to talk button only transmits on one (chosen) frequency no matter whether you depress the top or bottom part of the push to talk switch/button.

This radio takes some getting used to and many will find that the UV5 series operation is far more desirable but I have to admit that the feel of the radio and design of the case is more preferable, at least to me, over the UV5 series. Then some would say you get what you pay for and admittingly the UV5 series as well as the UV82 with a sub $50 price point makes it a very affordable radio.

Steve, my basic thought as these are a decent starter radio when you get an upgraded antenna, programming cable and download the software.
It seems the one you refer to does not have significant differences from the UV5R model.

Either one is decent it seems.....
I would also get an external roof antenna as you will be pretty disappointed with reception with a rubber ducky antenna inside a car.

Hope this helps.

A

I've been thinking about getting one of these for a while now due to the recommendation from multiple fellow wheelers, but there's a ton of them at slightly varying prices on Amazon.

Andrew, can you tell me, very specifically, which one to get? I did a search to try to narrow it down but the following still turned up 34 results: Electronics › BaoFeng › $25 to $50 › New › "UV-5R".

Also which accessories are mandatory, like the data cable and charger, and which are highly recommended, like the handset and which software?

EDIT: After some research, I'm leaning towards the UV-82 vice the UV-5R series: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00E4KLY34...UTF8&colid=NPSTKVACNMS0&coliid=I30FD8MBP20OFV
Any input on that Andrew?

Thanks Andrew. I read those reviews too and they were very helpful. After a little more thought and tiny bit more research, I think I will go with the 82. Almost all the aspects of it, as compared to the 5R series, seem to be just a smidge better.

I'm pretty sure the separate mic and the USB cable are the same, but I haven't run across an external antenna that lists the 82 yet. To your knowledge, do all the BaoFeng radios use the same connectors?

They are standardized, I forget what they call it but my Yaesu uses a mini connector to connect to the antenna cable. It is a short adapter cable. The basic antenna I got was a 2m/70cm or 2M/440 antenna. It can handle both bands. I think I spent $30 for the mag mount.
Glad to see you are going to take the plunge as I hope others do the same.
THe test was not difficult and I encourage you to take it.

A

Glad to see you are going to take the plunge as I hope others do the same.
Not working out so far. Had it all wrapped up on Amazon but apparently you can't use PayPal there - which is the primary reason I was "taking the plunge". I really have no current use for the radio but have $55 sitting in my PayPal account to use so I thought this would be a nice new toy to play with. I guess I'm going to have to transfer the money from the PayPal to a CC and just use a CC on Amazon... What a PitA though. :frown:

What about The Gt3 ???
http://www.amazon.com/BaoFeng-GT-3-Transceiver-Dual-Band-Two-Way/dp/B00GCZVXPI/ref=sr_1_11?s=car&ie=UTF8&qid=1388172706&sr=1-11

BaoFeng GT-3.jpg

Got the radio and easily programmed it using "Chirp" which I downloaded for free.
I just have to get a full understanding of the some of the Tone squelch stuff and try to figure out how to up my reading comprehension. I haven't had to study for a test in 16 years and then it was stuff I already practiced, knew and understood. :doh:

Oh, and the mag mount radio I received has a PL-259 connector on it. WTF? Going back to Amazon to try again.

Got my UV-82 today, but have not gotten the cable or the mic yet. And Chirp, so far, won't load onto my Mac anyway - even the "download this first" doesn't work. Ugh.

Steve wish I could help you. In reality, you should just Ru on simplex first. Just program in one channel 146.460.
Got my UV-82 today, but have not gotten the cable or the mic yet. And Chirp, so far, won't load onto my Mac anyway - even the "download this first" doesn't work. Ugh.

So I thought I would report how pleased I was with the performance of the radio this weekend. Great clarity, good enough range on simplex to do what we do and lots of features - more than I will ever likely understand. The battery lasted the entire time we were out. I forgot to turn it off one night and it still shows nearly fully charged. :cheers:

I have two of these radios. I've had the license for 14 years and was not active for a while. A buddy moved to town and had recently passed the test so we bought these to communicate. They just work, plain and simple.

I have programmed mine with my mac. Do you have the right drivers installed? That was my biggest problem. Once I got those figured out, it worked.

The only downside to these radios is that they are open on sooooo many frequencies that you can easily operate outside of your permissions. Its not "legal" to operate on GMRS or FRS frequencies with a removable antennae and above 1 watt, and you aren't supposed to use the commercial frequencies. But anything is fair game in an emergency and the radio police don't seem to be actively searching for people who like to play outside their frequencies :whoops: :)

It is possible to program these radios to certain, shall we say, sensitive frequencies. I did just that just to see if it was possible and sure enough. I broke squelch in my work truck this morning on a repeater channel. Sure hope our digital transition happens sooner rather than later.

Steve wish I could help you. In reality, you should just Ru on simplex first. Just program in one channel 146.460.
Been there, done that..... nobody close enough to talk to. I went out a few times to y'all when we were high up on 22 just for the hell of it, knowing full-well that y'all were way more than the 5 miles of distance I've read they'll go (handheld only).

I have programmed mine with my mac. Do you have the right drivers installed? That was my biggest problem. Once I got those figured out, it worked.
Whatever it was CHIRP said you had to load first - that's what didn't work [yet].

so the question keeps coming up. Do you need to be licensed for simplex use only?

so the question keeps coming up. Do you need to be licensed for simplex use only?

The short answer is yes. But as Andy pointed out, even a long time licensed user told him to get the radio and get used to it while he studied. Additionally, we are not out there raising hell on high power and hitting repeaters so it is likely nobody will hear us or care. Enforcement is pretty much focused on rogue radii stations so imo these are self policing.

Heifer-net

Thanks HH, kinda what I figured. I'm gonna let you guys play guinea pig on the radios before I make my choice but I'll have one in hand before GSMTR.

~ I'll have one in hand before GSMTR.
:eek: Holy hell Batman! First a LED light bar, now a HAM.... what is next? :hmm: Maybe a rock crawler eventually??? :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom