Bandeirante OJ50LV Import (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I sold my built JK and am in process of importing a couple bandeirantes. They are on the boat currently. Both are OJ50LV (stretched BJ40 a like scrambler is to a CJ) with Mercedes diesels.
My questions are to those with BJ40 experience: What systems need upgraded? What troubles have you had? What market is there for the long versions? What advice do I not even know to ask, but I need to know?
Thanks, Ron
DD603F71-8C6B-44D3-8740-49CA7A5E8A9A.jpeg
73D720B6-216D-4F55-AB2A-D220CBF12C8C.jpeg
A2C1B82B-618B-4B01-B0CF-4618EAD76AE6.jpeg
7F3E5C4F-4C02-46DB-AF4D-A27079510F45.jpeg
45B85882-CF50-4F52-B84D-495596838252.jpeg

Ron
Sorry not gonna be able to help too much here. I have owned a couple of Bj42 and now have a BJ45 and am learning more and more daily regarding the 3B I have. That Mercedes diesel is a huge unknown but I hear good things about them. In case I missed it where did they originate from?
I think their origination does play a role in the amount to interest. South American vehicles don't seem to do as well as their European counterparts. Place or origin may also play a role when it comes to parts but since most of the underside outside of the engine are universal I do not foresee this as much of an issue. Body panels on a cruiser somewhere between a 40 series and a troopy I'm guessing would be tough to come by with exception of the firewall forward.
I would love to see these when they get here though, they sound pretty cool!!
Is your intent to keep these for yourself and drive em or are you going to sell them?

Sorry to clarify but I thought the Bandeirante's were only South American rigs and although I have seen some pop up over time. They definitely have the rare factors going for them. Definitely utility rigs.

Cheers
Jon

Last edited:
Welcome. Those are kinda cool looking body styles.

I would suggest doing a few searches on south american imports and bandeirantes. There are a lot of 40s being imported by flippers (but not many Bandi's) trying to take advantage of the high FJ40 prices in the US. Most have proven to be no better than lipstick on a pig restorations. There have been a couple of buyers sign up here after making a purchase asking about their 'newly restored' FJ40, only to find out they way overpaid. Sad stories. SA vehicles generally don't bring US prices unless the buyer is unaware.

There is a diesel section further down the main page.

Scrambler (CJ8) doors are more like like these the wheel base is actually closer to the CJ6. Always thought the CJ6 looked odd with the rear axle so far back. But at the same time wondered how they would do off road with the improved departure. Would high center easier but would advantage depending on terrain.

Ron
Sorry not gonna be able to help too much here. I have owned a couple of Bj42 and now have a BJ45 and am learning more and more daily regarding the 3B I have. That Mercedes diesel is a huge unknown but I hear good things about them. In case I missed it where did they originate from?
I think their origination does play a role in the amount to interest. South American vehicles don't seem to do as well as their European counterparts. Place or origin may also play a role when it comes to parts but since most of the underside outside of the engine are universal I do not foresee this as much of an issue. Body panels on a cruiser somewhere between a 40 series and a troopy I'm guessing would be tough to come by with exception of the firewall forward.
I would love to see these when they get here though, they sound pretty cool!!
Is your intent to keep these for yourself and drive em or are you going to sell them?

Sorry to clarify but I thought the Bandeirante's were only South American rigs and although I have seen some pop up over time. They definitely have the rare factors going for them. Definitely utility rigs.

Cheers
Jon

Think these would be different being a locally made vehicle in Brazil. Most Central South American 40 series had a hard life but do use the same parts used in the rest of the world. Bandeirante were locally made and sourcing parts might be a lot more difficult. If they were not used as hard and in better same would be a plus. This version and four door 45 pickup would be the models to import being unique.

I just purchased a BJ40 originally out of Costa Rica. I am by NO MEANS an expert, but the price I paid seemed about right for a diesel land cruiser. We'll see. I'm the only one that really cares about what I paid for it. I'm not trying to make money off mine... Definitely had some lipstick on it, but I knew that going in.

That being said - I'm working to take advantage of it's pluses - very clean frame, B diesel motor (that's a plus for me, anyway) bench seats, H41 4 speed, side vent windows, while at the same time addressing it's issues - no heater.... well. That's about the only thing that makes the older 40s worse in my opinion than a US Spec vehicle in terms of being a good driver. But that's just me and what I was looking for. I'm sure there are many valid yet different opinions.

Mine is a '75. Drums up front, same as US. No roll bar, but longer jumps seats. Adding a heater.

I've heard good things about that Mercedes Diesel as well.

Regarding the resale value of them... since you said you wanted to flip them.

• Document where the rust is/was and how it was repaired with pictures and receipts
  • Add either OEM Heat or aftermarket Heat and AC.
  • California is off-limits, but the rest of the country isn't ( I think).
  • Have all your import documentation and do all the importing/transferring of title before you try to flip it. (this is huge in my opinion as that's a pain in the ass most buyers don't want and is too much of a question mark)
  • They are more unique, which can help the value, but will probably take longer to sell as you'll need to find the right buyer

Many complain about LatAm imports flooding the market, but as an owner of one, I say bring it on! The more the merrier and it will keep the price of driver level 40s lower. US Specs will always demand a premium, but the rest of us unwashed masses, we can afford to get into a 40. Plus, diesel!

Welcome. Those are kinda cool looking body styles.

I would suggest doing a few searches on south american imports and bandeirantes. There are a lot of 40s being imported by flippers (but not many Bandi's) trying to take advantage of the high FJ40 prices in the US. Most have proven to be no better than lipstick on a pig restorations. There have been a couple of buyers sign up here after making a purchase asking about their 'newly restored' FJ40, only to find out they way overpaid. Sad stories. SA vehicles generally don't bring US prices unless the buyer is unaware.
I think I can sell them at an attractive price and still make some money. I love the long bodies - Closer in wheelbase to the 4 dr Rubicon I just sold.

I just purchased a BJ40 originally out of Costa Rica. I am by NO MEANS an expert, but the price I paid seemed about right for a diesel land cruiser. We'll see. I'm the only one that really cares about what I paid for it. I'm not trying to make money off mine... Definitely had some lipstick on it, but I knew that going in.

That being said - I'm working to take advantage of it's pluses - very clean frame, B diesel motor (that's a plus for me, anyway) bench seats, H41 4 speed, side vent windows, while at the same time addressing it's issues - no heater.... well. That's about the only thing that makes the older 40s worse in my opinion than a US Spec vehicle in terms of being a good driver. But that's just me and what I was looking for. I'm sure there are many valid yet different opinions.

Mine is a '75. Drums up front, same as US. No roll bar, but longer jumps seats. Adding a heater.

I've heard good things about that Mercedes Diesel as well.

Regarding the resale value of them... since you said you wanted to flip them.

• Document where the rust is/was and how it was repaired with pictures and receipts
  • Add either OEM Heat or aftermarket Heat and AC.
  • California is off-limits, but the rest of the country isn't ( I think).
  • Have all your import documentation and do all the importing/transferring of title before you try to flip it. (this is huge in my opinion as that's a pain in the ass most buyers don't want and is too much of a question mark)
  • They are more unique, which can help the value, but will probably take longer to sell as you'll need to find the right buyer

Many complain about LatAm imports flooding the market, but as an owner of one, I say bring it on! The more the merrier and it will keep the price of driver level 40s lower. US Specs will always demand a premium, but the rest of us unwashed masses, we can afford to get into a 40. Plus, diesel!
Absolutely, the registration will be done by me. I don't think most buyers would want to step into that. These where both checked by my buyer in Brazil and he liked their condition (I will soon learn if we evaluate them the same). My target sale price is in the $25-30K range dependent on additional costs and market response. The newer one has an OEM 5 speed.

IMO, I wouldn't expect the market to be as hot for these as the FJ40. The high FJ40/FJ60 and now 80 prices are driven by people that had them, drove them in their youth, and now they have money to get one again. Much like the muscle car craze before.

The problem I see is that practically no one in the US has driven one before, especially in their youth. And what is a bandierante they will ask? Either way, it's different enough from a "true FJ40" that can cause concern. A nicely, fully represented restore/refresh can change that, but then you are possibly making less or none on the deal. How far into the restore rabbit hole are you planning on going?

They also usually need a lot of refurbishment from south america.

Not sure if you saw this, but a 1990 Bandierante, a bit different from yours, but an idea at least.
1990 Toyota FJ40 Bandeirante

1990_toyota_bandeirante_15885107805d565ef66e7dffIMG_2682-scaled.jpg

Had build photos, videos etc, and only bid tho $20k Granted this has the ugly front end, but at least an idea.

That said, a fairly clean example and stellar photography on Bring a trailer and you could get you a bidding war and end up over $30k.

IMO, I wouldn't expect the market to be as hot for these as the FJ40. The high FJ40/FJ60 and now 80 prices are driven by people that had them, drove them in their youth, and now they have money to get one again. Much like the muscle car craze before.

The problem I see is that practically no one in the US has driven one before, especially in their youth. And what is a bandierante they will ask? Either way, it's different enough from a "true FJ40" that can cause concern. A nicely, fully represented restore/refresh can change that, but then you are possibly making less or none on the deal. How far into the restore rabbit hole are you planning on going?

Not sure if you saw this, but a 1990 Bandierante, a bit different from yours, but an idea at least.

Had build photos, videos etc, and only bid tho $20k Granted this has the ugly front end, but at least an idea.

That said, a fairly clean example and stellar photography on Bring a trailer and you could get you a bidding war and end up over $30k.
Nice truck! Yeah, the resto rabbit hole is deep

Seriously, no experts on these?

I'm definately no expert, but I have been to Brazil acouple times, married a brazilian girl, drove a Bandeirante while there and recently bought one that is getting restored there currently! ...yes, I'm still married to her, haha...anyhow, looks like you got 2 jipe longo on the way. tan one is older with the 314 motor, and the white one is abit newer, probably between 1989-1993 with the 364 motor. I might be able to answer some more questions if you have any.
I would be interested in who you used for an importer and maybe the simple version, if possible, of how you will go through the process of registration. Best of luck on your projects

That’s kinda a bummer since that is a nice rig.

There's a nice Bandeirante on Bring a Trailer right now - 1995 Toyota Bandeirante BJ55 - it's a BJ55. Being a '95 and having a Toyota motor probably helps the value, but it's somewhat of a comp.

There's a nice Bandeirante on Bring a Trailer right now - 1995 Toyota Bandeirante BJ55 - it's a BJ55. Being a '95 and having a Toyota motor probably helps the value, but it's somewhat of a comp.
That is a nice one. That guys sells them for about $45k at Overland Imports. He sold a nice one like mine for $45 also. I am not aiming for that level.

Seems to be some room between 20 and 45 where you could do just fine

Hello,

The MB engine is entirely different from the Toyota B engine family. These are not BJ40 like.

The Bandeirante is essentially an FJ25 with a diesel engine. Comparing it to BJ4x Land Cruisers is not entirely correct.

To comply with local laws, Toyota Brazil put a diesel engine on the 25 Series. Later it sourced the panels and most components from local suppliers. All of this happened in the early 1960s. A divergence point of sorts.

The MB engine is reliable and some users in Brazil have reached one million kilometers before repair, with appropriate maintenance. There were some iterations of the engine over the years. If memory serves, engine name is OM4xx, where xx indicates generation. MB is known for its spare parts inventories, so it should not be a problem.

The drive train is more or less a 1980s 40 Series one, albeit with Brazilian parts. There are differences in detail from Japanese built power trains. I remember the transmission parking brake has fewer parts than its Japanese counterparts. Quite likely there are more differences.

There is a specific service manual, available for download somewhere. However, it is written in Portuguese.

Interior is different. So is the cluster and electric system.

A company by the name of Brasinca made the body panels. They may or may not be compatible with 40 Series ones. I am not sure Brasinca is still alive.

As noted above, your trucks were known as Jipe Longo, Portuguese for Long Wheelbase Jeep. The beige one appears to be a mid- to late 1970s model; the other is probably an early 1980s one. If I remember correctly, rectangular bezels started in the mid 1980s in Brazil.

As is the case with South American trucks, these units quite likely lived a hard life. The "pig with lipstick" does not seem to be the case with yours, at least from what the pictures show.

They will need a deeper look for rust, an engine and drive train overhaul.

Juan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom