Bad TCM / Transmission Relay (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've been struggling with transmissions issues on the 1994 we bought last year to fix up for our youngest son. Finally figured out it was the Transmission Control Module. Back in September while driving home from work I lost all gears except 2nd. While in Drive with O/D on it would start in 2nd and when it should shift to 3rd it would just go into what felt like Neutral. With the O/D off it would start in 2nd and stay in 2nd but allow costing. If I put it in 2nd it stayed in 2nd just like normal. There was no reverse. After getting home and letting it cool off the shifting went back to normal. The Transmission ECM/TCM though a 62 code (solenoid 2 bad or wiring). I replaced all Solenoids. After 3 months and close to 3,000 miles trouble free all symptoms came back, but this time after letting the car cool down it would only shift normal for a minute or two. I determined it was not a mechanical issue by discounting the Transmission Computer and shifting the transmission manually. I'm sure I should have done more testing on the TCM and checked the wiring, but with a busy life full of Family, Job, and 3 80 series to maintain I took a gamble. If any one has a theory as to the TCM going bad let me know, should I check for a cause before considering the job complete?

I've been struggling with transmissions issues on the 1994 we bought last year to fix up for our youngest son. Finally figured out it was the Transmission Control Module. Back in September while driving home from work I lost all gears except 2nd. While in Drive with O/D on it would start in 2nd and when it should shift to 3rd it would just go into what felt like Neutral. With the O/D off it would start in 2nd and stay in 2nd but allow costing. If I put it in 2nd it stayed in 2nd just like normal. There was no reverse. After getting home and letting it cool off the shifting went back to normal. The Transmission ECM/TCM though a 62 code (solenoid 2 bad or wiring). I replaced all Solenoids. After 3 months and close to 3,000 miles trouble free all symptoms came back, but this time after letting the car cool down it would only shift normal for a minute or two. I determined it was not a mechanical issue by discounting the Transmission Computer and shifting the transmission manually. I'm sure I should have done more testing on the TCM and checked the wiring, but with a busy life full of Family, Job, and 3 80 series to maintain I took a gamble. If any one has a theory as to the TCM going bad let me know, should I check for a cause before considering the job complete?
@John Mc Did you solve this problem? my rig has the same simptoms

No problem since replacing the control module. It's currently my daily driver. Will probably roll over 300,000 this week.

89530-60080 Sorry no pictures. It is a discontinued part so eBay or CruiserParts.net is your best bet. It's a silver metal box with a blue and white sticker part number should be on it. Located under the dash on the drivers/left side you can't miss it. Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom