Builds Back in a GX470 (Ferg's vehicle ADD continues) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Any idea if you can replace just the Prado center console/armrest/box assembly without doing the rest of the console, shifters, etc?

Any idea if you can replace just the Prado center console/armrest/box assembly without doing the rest of the console, shifters, etc?

In order to get the Prado console box in, at minimum you have to change the complete console box and lid, the cup-holder section, the main shifter bezel/surround area, the longer side trim piece that's on the passenger side (the wood trim or silver trim stuff running the side of the shifter bezel area), and the park brake boot. And then also have to remove your GX armrests from the seats.

FWIW, if you're interested in doing it, I'm selling my Prado console box stuff right now in the classifieds. Open to realistic offers. For Sale - Utah - Prado 120 Standard Center Console for GX470

Last edited:
In order to get the Prado console box in, at minimum you have to change the complete console box and lid, the cup-holder section, the longer side trim piece thats on the passenger side (the wood trim or silver trim stuff running the side of the shifter bezel area), and the park brake boot. The main shifter bezel/surround area is interchangeable for like-for-like drive versions (auto to auto, and LHD to LHD). And then also have to remove your GX armrests from the seats.

FWIW, if you're interested in doing it, I'm selling my Prado console box stuff right now in the classifieds. Open to realistic offers. For Sale - Utah - Prado 120 Standard Center Console for GX470
Great info! I haven't actually even bought a GX yet, looking for a clean one right now but I've been surprised at the lack of console storage space in the ones I've driven. Had the idea of a Prado console and it's great to see it's possible. The field monitor looks pretty sweet too. Now to just find the right GX to buy...

Well, going non-nav conversion route. I found a correct** month/year non-navi heater/ac control for my 06/05 GX on car-part and ordered it up. It was a bit more coin than I really wanted to pay (cause I'm a cheap bastard on used stuff) but, oh well. Also ordered up a 9" "MicroNavi" or whatever this one is actually called... It comes recommended by a few guys on the GXOR Facebook group so I went with it. I got the 8 Core 2G 32GB with can-bus.

US $187.2 22% OFF|9 inch Android 8.1 Octa 8 Core 2G RAM ROM32G Car DVD Player for Toyota Prado 120 for Lexus GX470 Car Radio GPS Navigation BT map-in Car Multimedia Player from Automobiles & Motorcycles on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

**Note a lot of wrecking yards list the heat/ac control as interchangeable across all years of the GX, but this is NOT true. There are several components which make up the whole control unit so the part numbers listed here are for the “Amplifier Assy, Air Conditioner” which is clearly identifiable by a Toyota part number sticker located on the left male connector on the rear of the unit. There is a bit of unknown with the switch-over months on which one you *actually* have, but I think going by this would be the best bet if your GX has a mfg month on one end of the switchovers.

88650-60770 (11/2002 - 10/2004) (folks have also seen an 88650-60B50 for these years as well)
88650-60771 (11/2004 - 07/2005)
88650-60772 (08/2005 - 12/2005)
88650-60773 (01/2006 - 07/2009)
Hi! do all 12 speakers in a car with a Mark Levinson amplifier work with this Chinese radio? or is this Can Bus Decoder only designed for a Piooner amplifier with 9 speakers?

Well, I ended up selling that original console box setup I had in mine, but I've ended up driving this GX more and more and really missed the large console box. So I got some more stuff in. :D Got 2 boxes here, and another (hopefully) on its way. They're currently all tentatively spoken for, but that could change.

Anyway, one of the things I wanted to try and figure out was the rear A/C controls... Some of the Prado 120s did get rear A/C and have rear controls on the back of the console. They look a bit different than the GX controls, but I was hoping maybe they'd just connect right up since the front HVAC stuff *does* just connect right up. However, the rear Prado controls do *not* connect right up. The connectors are different shape and the number of wires are different. The Prado has 9 wires on a 2x5 connector, and the GX470 has 4 wires on a 1x5 connector. So I thought maybe I could just figure out the wiring and re-wire the Prado controls into the GX wiring. However, looking at the connectors, the amount of wires, and then comparing the wiring diagrams for each, it doesnt appear to be as simple as just connecting a select few wires from the Prado one into the GX and calling it good. So for now, I've given up on that idea and feel that it'd just be easier to cut a hole out of the back of the console and figure a way to fit up the GX controls. (**I'm not an electrical wizard, so I'll post up the diags and maybe some of you have some thoughts there.)

GX470 rear HVAC control wiring vs Prado 120 rear HVAC control wiring. Again, I'm not an electrical wizard, and I dont have time right now to try to figure out all the differences here, but just looking at them for a few minutes and the main difference in wiring looks to be the "Rear Cooler Control Switch"... the Prado one has way more wires going into the thing. Otherwise, there are a lot of like-labeled wires. I suspect one *could* hook all the like wires up and then perhaps one of the wires coming off the Prado control switch and maybe get the thing wired up to always be on the "high" setting or something. Or perhaps the "auto" setting even.

Last edited:
Well, I ended up selling that original console box setup I had in mine, but I've ended up driving this GX more and more and really missed the large console box. So I got some more stuff in. :D Got 2 boxes here, and another (hopefully) on its way. They're currently all tentatively spoken for, but that could change.

I'm 1000% in if you can source the whole armrest setup to toss into my GX, even the digital meter like you have too. PM me when you can!

Been scheming for days on how to transplant the GX rear AC controls into the Prado console. Went back and forth on trying to create a snap-in type mount for it or just trying to bolt the thing straight through the rear face of the console. I still may go the route of making A snap-in type mount, but I wanted to attempt just getting it in there. So, I cut a hole.

Still gotta work out some sort of mounts to bolt it in place, but I think it worked out pretty ok. Might also work/look nice to put some rubber trim around the cut-out. One step at a time though.

20200401_204828_HDR.jpg
20200401_205011_HDR.jpg
20200401_210717.jpg
20200401_210809.jpg
20200401_210826.jpg

Ok, im game for you to cut my center console for the GX controls too... :cool:

Sweet! Does that interfere with the moonroof tilt up? What $$ did it run ya?

They ain't cheap to pick up these offerings pre-fab'd from vendors/mfgs. Around $1000 USD for any of them. :oops:

Good few bunch of folks going DIY route on this type of rack though if you search around. The corss-bars are pretty much standard aluminum off 8020.com or something like that. Then you just have to design and cut our your sides. You can even buy pre-made mount feet if you want to make it a bit easier. I thought about going the DIY route, but, even with the "social distancing" recommendations, I dont have time to dedicate to that. I got way too much else to do.

And this might be considered lame to some folks, but these low-pro roof racks--for me personally--are a LOT bit a "form over function" thing for me. Not that a roof rack isn't super functional, and these racks really are SUPER functional compare to some racks, but I just *really* like the way these racks look and think they really do a lot for the look of the GX470 for me. So def worth it for me in the end. :cool:

Last edited:
Ok, im game for you to cut my center console for the GX controls too... :cool:

:p My cut def isn't perfect, but I got some trim stuff and some other stuff on the way to try to hook it up and make it look nice. Working to get a "finished look" sometime in the next week.

I got all the stuff on the way for you btw if you're still down. With all the delays, looking like might be another month or more for some of it to arrive though. :(

:p My cut def isn't perfect, but I got some trim stuff and some other stuff on the way to try to hook it up and make it look nice. Working to get a "finished look" sometime in the next week.

I got all the stuff on the way for you btw if you're still down. With all the delays, looking like might be another month or more for some of it to arrive though. :(

I'm ready and raring brother, nothings changing on my end!

Sweet! Does that interfere with the moonroof tilt up? What $$ did it run ya?

Prinsu rack does not interfere with any moonroof functions.
I have the full-length version like the OP, and everything works fine.
If you hunt, they can be had in the $850-900 range.

Worked more on the rear HVAC controls. I really want to create a nice plastic bezel mount thing eventually. But thats a bit out of my wheelhouse...still learning there. So in the meantime, I got some trim on Amazon and ran it around 3 sides. Was going to put it all the way around, but when I test fit the controls, they like perfectly squeezed in. Like fit in so perfectly, I decided to just go with it for now.

Since the controls sit higher up now than they did with the stock GX console, I was concerned about the wiring. Been figuring I'd have to extend it. But when I looked at it, I found if i undid the first clip back, the wiring could reach just fine.

Not the most refined end product, but this will work for me for now. 😎

20200418_201209.jpg
20200418_201310.jpg

Bump.

Looking to replace the old school Nav setup on my 05 GX and I just discovered the non-navigation conversion exists and subsequently found your thread that is extremely interesting and informative. How does this set up sound overall? Do you typically use a Bluetooth connection and does that android screen have a USB cable interface? Does that set up utilize the Mark Levinson Soundsystem speakers and amp? Did you ever get the illumination to work properly?
Any more guidance or updates regarding this set up? Would you still do this route all over again versus the Tesla screen or single din or G ROM conversions? How many hours do you think it will take for a stereo shop to complete this for me if I dropped everything off to them? Thanks!

And did this today... Very interesting... Prado 120 non-nav HVAC 55900-60642. Buttons are a little sticky, but it is 100% working in my 06/05 GX470. I took a *huge* chance on this thing cause I am just so damn curious on this stuff, but its worked out 100%, including cycling the compressor on and off. Now the Celsius degrees match the Celsius on my Prado field monitor (that i can't figure out how to switch to Fahrenheit--but now I dont care as much. haha)

20190623_124841-jpg.2011222

20190623_124918-jpg.2011223

20190623_124930_hdr-jpg.2011224

20190623_210647-jpg.2011225
Are you still using this setup? Can you confirm/deny that the rear A/C controls are still operational with this? I've read that controllers sourced from Australia make the rear seat A/C inoperable. I live in the desert and my dogs need the breeze.

Worked more on the rear HVAC controls. I really want to create a nice plastic bezel mount thing eventually. But thats a bit out of my wheelhouse...still learning there. So in the meantime, I got some trim on Amazon and ran it around 3 sides. Was going to put it all the way around, but when I test fit the controls, they like perfectly squeezed in. Like fit in so perfectly, I decided to just go with it for now.

Since the controls sit higher up now than they did with the stock GX console, I was concerned about the wiring. Been figuring I'd have to extend it. But when I looked at it, I found if i undid the first clip back, the wiring could reach just fine.

Not the most refined end product, but this will work for me for now. 😎

View attachment 2277974View attachment 2277975
My hand made:

F291D85B-C297-415E-9CB9-46255CCBBDDB.jpeg

019E2510-4BB3-4F9F-A334-FB329D593383.jpeg

94BC5EC8-7AAB-4DAB-8205-F8AF72F04C59.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom