Axle Trouble (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
G'day,
Well I've got problems with my rear axle that needs to be fixed asap, firstly the axle shafts have a lot of play at the diff end, basically the teeth have somehow worn down pretty badly. My bearings have slowly worn out and busted the oil seals, oil has then leaked out and worn other components in the diff from the complete lack of oil. okay my bad for not checking it since i knew it was leaking :doh:

Anyone know what year they changed from the straight roller bearings to the tapered ones, if at all they did??
Anything else i should know about when working with or swapping over parts etc??
I'd love to change to a disc brake front end too, pretty sure they came out in '75, the same year as mine but mine must be just before the changover or something..

Any advice apprectiated, thanks
Daniel.

Almost all LC diffs are the same. Go find one with the correct ration and slap it in. Early diffs had smaller studs.

pinion flange changes are the most difficult issue..

cant help you on the diff question but the D/B's came out in 76 marked cruisers, i dont know exact production dates...but 76 is the year with disc brakes i think

Well i got myself a parts pig for a measly $150(aussie dolla), supposed to have a good axle, not sure if it's full floating but would be great if it was.
Also has a PTO and plenty of other spares, some i can't use, i.e. barn doors and front doors, but that's about it.

:eek: you got a full parts rig for 150 auz?!?!?!?!?!

:eek: you got a full parts rig for 150 auz?!?!?!?!?!

Yeah, bit of a bargain really considering i bought my current 55 for $600 and then spent heaps more on it.
On the weekend i was talking to some other fella who wanted $150 for just an axle/diff assembly.
Anyway I'm buying it from a Gliding club, who had it given to them by a club member or friend, a year ago when i was there thinking about joining the club i was asking them about it and they were saying they use it but it's no good for there needs and drinks too much fuel, they have stacks more cars anyway, so for a bit of cash they'd be happy to part with it, I figured 150 or more if it wasn't enough but they were happy with that and happy that it's getting used rather than scrapped and it saves them getting rid of it.
I know of a few more i'd love to get my hands on but i know for sure my dad wouldn't be very happy with more wrecks around the place lol, maybe i'll just wait until May when he goes on holidays for a few months hehehe :D and get rid of the old mitsubishi's laying about.
I'm actually pretty excited about getting it now :cool:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom