axle noise? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
a few days ago my truck startedmaking noise when i turn right. its like a mix of subtle grinding/poping. i only notice it when i turn twards the right, not the left. ive looked at tie rods and pulled drums off, everything looks ok. tires dont rub..... if it were a bearing in the axle wouldnt i notice this is all directions all of the time? im not sure where begin, thanks!

P.S. its the the usual "pop" of suspension that i have had while cornering. this sounds like somthing turning/grinding on eachother.

oh i forgot to say that the noise only comes from the front right tire area, when the wheels are turned twards the right.

i have warn hubs and got a little grease on it when i installed it.(not supposed to grease them at all) it tries to lock on its own while turning and makes the noises you're describing. mine is kind of a weird problem to have but easy to rule out in your case.

well now it does it when i hit my brakes, i tried adjusting them but no luck. a better word to describe the noise is knocking in the drum area

If your adjusting your brakes I assume you have drum brakes. I would pull the drum and check everthing in there. I would also check your wheel bearings. If they a loose the drum will wooble on the brake shoes.

John

i have already pulled the drum and everything looked fine, i guess i need to check wheel bearingsnext .

i have tightened the wheel bearing, and i continues to make noise. could it just be a bad bearing, or could it be somthing else?

jack the front up and block the back tires, grab the wheel at 12 and 6 and if there is any play its a bearings

low on water haahahhah!!! oh i love that movie, anyway i did tighten the wheel bearing, andeverything looks good inside the drum, and it still makes noise, but usually only when i turn sharp, hit brakes hard, and sometimes if i go in reverse... am i wront in thinking that it could be the cv joint(if thats what it is) in the axle. im kinda learing this stuff as i go and im not sure what to do now.its kind of scary driving it everyday,and hearing noises like the wheel is going to falloff everytime i corner right, or use my brakes. anymore input is appreciated!

Staple, what model/year are you driving? How did you tighten the wheel bearing?

Most, but not all (I think 68 is the change year) FJ40s have Birfield axle joints. A search on Birfs or birfields might be helpful.

Did you do the wheel bearing check FJ40onNOS suggested? If you are uncomfortable doing that, then you should probably have an alignment shop check it for you. You are correct that a wheel falling off is a big deal, if there is any danger of that happening.

its a 1971fj40. i did do the check and there was a little play so i tightened the nuts up that are right before the wheel bearing(wheel bearing adjustment nuts according to haynes). now there is zero play. i also tried adjusting the star adjusters on the brake wheel cylinders. i even drove backwards and slammed on my brakes a few times(not sure if this works on fjs). it still continues to make noise. i am going to take it into my auto tech class tomarrow and pull the drum off again to double ,check everything is tight. i dont think the wheel is going to fall off, it just sounds like it :eek:

:cheers:

ok so i adjusted my brakes and wheel bearing and everything seems to be fine. i hope for good. i am thinking somehow i had shoes rubbing of the drum even though everything was tight. thanks everyone for your help

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom