Awnings, let's see them (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I ran one on my first 80 and honestly used in 3 times in 3 years, so much messing around with poles and tent pegs
This is why I want a self supporting one. Everything I've seen is if its a pain to set up, you won't use it.

Did this unit come with the piece of fabric that runs at a 45 to the ground? I have been looking at the ironman awnings, I like simple and they are on sale right now...
No, it’s a separate piece. I also have the currently back ordered extra leg set. This way I can leave the awning up and drive away. Below are links to what I have currently and plan to get once it warms up a little.

Currently have:
Awning Instant Awning With LED Lighting/Dimmer 2m x 2.5m - https://ironman4x4america.com/instant-awning-with-led-lighting-dimmer-2m-x-2-5m/

Side kit Awning Xtra (Suits 2M Awning) - https://ironman4x4america.com/awning-xtra-suits-2m-awning/

Quick release brackets Awning Quick Release Mounting Brackets - https://ironman4x4america.com/awning-quick-release-mounting-brackets/

Extra poles Awning Adjustable Pole Kit - https://ironman4x4america.com/awning-adjustable-pole-kit/

Want:
Awning Room Awning Room And Net (Suits 2M Awning) - https://ironman4x4america.com/awning-room-and-net-suits-2m-awning/

Extra Lights (awning comes with one set included) Awning 12V LED Sail Track Light Strip And Dimmer Set - https://ironman4x4america.com/awning-12v-led-sail-track-light-strip-and-dimmer-set/

For what I do this more than suits me and mine.

Hope it helps!

Love my ovs, would buy it again and again. As for wind, I have had it open and free standing in crazy wind by accident one night, had no issues, but it does come with legs and tie down for wind as well. You just don't need the legs often, at least I never did in my ten camping trips this summer. It's stout. Price was great as well.

MVIMG_20200808_211413.jpg

Last edited:
I’ll play. Rhino Rack Pioneer Platform.

Eezi Awn Swift, 39lbs. Self supported in low winds. DIY ARB wind break mod. 47ft sq shade, mounted with RR Tracklander Brackets
871C645E-4EFE-4558-84B6-9832D82138EE.jpeg

A4C516CF-6D63-44F2-8359-957BC934CC28.jpeg
RLD Ghost Awn 360, 51 lbs, self supporting in <15mph, stakeable, 188sq ft shade, elevated ceiling and aluminized fabric. Mounted with RLD platform brackets
8BB6D93F-57B2-4234-85DB-670E29551034.jpeg
79860850-8F08-4ECF-B340-88A02255350B.jpeg

Love my ovs, would buy it again and again. As for wind, I have had it open and free standing in crazy wind by accident one night, had no issues, but it does come with legs and tie down for wind as well. You just don't need the legs often, at least I never did in my ten camping trips this summer. It's stout. Price was great as well.

View attachment 2566335
I keep going back and forth between this awning and the Wraptor 6K from Overlandpros. What rack do you have your awning mounted to? Another concern of mine is the weight. They're both over 70 lbs w/o the mounts. Can you feel the weight when driving? I plan on only mounting an awning only when needed but taking it on/off might get old so I'm also considering the smaller ones. Slightly leaning towards the OVS units due to price and color but unfortunately they keep moving the availability date up.

I’ll play. Rhino Rack Pioneer Platform.

Eezi Awn Swift, 39lbs. Self supported in low winds. DIY ARB wind break mod. 47ft sq shade, mounted with RR Tracklander BracketsView attachment 2566323
View attachment 2566330RLD Ghost Awn 360, 51 lbs, self supporting in <15mph, stakeable, 188sq ft shade, elevated ceiling and aluminized fabric. Mounted with RLD platform bracketsView attachment 2566334View attachment 2566333
I didn't even know that Eezi Awn Swift existed. That's a pretty slick system. My brother has an ARB awning on his Tacoma and that thing is a PITA to set up. Looks like I'll add that to my never ending Cruiser want list. I imagine I'll probably need to fab/source mounts to work with my Bowfin Cruiser rack.

We went with the 23zero because of the light blocking coating. Hold a flashlight against most of these awnings and it shines right on thru, 23zero it will not. Here it is on our trailer on a sunny day.
5E6C0DEF-237A-40C7-B160-876D2900A010_1_105_c.jpeg

We went with the 23zero because of the light blocking coating. Hold a flashlight against most of these awnings and it shines right on thru, 23zero it will not. Here it is on our trailer on a sunny day. View attachment 2566394
Does that mean it stays cool during the day?

1611759597798.png

Ironman 2.5m mounted on Bowfin. Happy with it--we use it when stopping for the night/afternoon, otherwise don't mess with it. I can see how the fancy ones are nicer, not sure the cost premium is worth it to me.

I didn't even know that Eezi Awn Swift existed. That's a pretty slick system. My brother has an ARB awning on his Tacoma and that thing is a PITA to set up. Looks like I'll add that to my never ending Cruiser want list. I imagine I'll probably need to fab/source mounts to work with my Bowfin Cruiser rack.
Yeah it’s a rad awning. The quickest square awning to set up and when staked down is as solid against late night wind as they come. You can use the same mounts I used onto a Bowfin. Rhino Rack Batwing mounts with an extra couple holes drilled into them would mount on the top of your rack with 1/4-20 hardware.

I have a Chinese 270* awning and hate it. Just unfolding the ribs gives me the impression it is going to break. I would much prefer a free standing 270*.

The OVS is an amazing deal.

I didn't know about the Overlandpros Wraptor 6K
or the 23zero peregrine 270.

Both the OVS and Overlandpros looks identical and I like the extra rib at the rear of the vehicle.
1611763988296.png

A little off subject here but why do people load the awnings on the driver side? I realize the thought is to go dispersed camping 90% of the time but 100% of campers and camp grounds in the states are setup to have passenger side entrance/ exit. Whether your intent is to stay a night in a campground or not it puts the back of the rig to the road and everything on the wrong side and exiting your 80 in your undies where everyone and their brother is walking by to the s***ter in the morning or kicks up dust in the eggs and coffee when cooking off the tailgate. Is it because all the cool gear comes from down under and they do it backwards there and we follow suit?

if going to campgrounds a lot that would be logical choice. Otherwise it seems like personal preference. If you have a flip out roof top tent and an awning, you might want the tent to flip to passenger side.

There are some minor differences in the OVS and Wraptor. Lots of reviews on the OVS out there, not so many with the Wraptor. The material used on the OVS is a higher rating afaik, and looks less cheap to me, but that's only based on videos.

OVS is out of stock for another month or more. They do offer a will-call discount.

if going to campgrounds a lot that would be logical choice. Otherwise it seems like personal preference. If you have a flip out roof top tent and an awning, you might want the tent to flip to passenger side.
Another reason a lot of people like it is if you pull off on the side of the road you want the awning on the off-road side. In AUS you'll see almost all of them on the left side of the truck for the same reason.

I love the idea of this thread and think it was a good post, just been camping a long time and always consider passenger side setup and privacy when setting up the 80 for camping. Certainly something everyone should consider especially going through all this work setting up and not thinking it through for someone that doesnt camp much. Hopefully @Delta VS gets that rack going soon so I can consider it for an option and come back to this good info for my next consideration on an awning.
:beer:

I love the idea of this thread and think it was a good post, just been camping a long time and always consider passenger side setup and privacy when setting up the 80 for camping. Certainly something everyone should consider especially going through all this work setting up and not thinking it through for someone that doesnt camp much. Hopefully @Delta VS gets that rack going soon so I can consider it for an option and come back to this good info for my next consideration on an awning.
:beer:
f63ed4353608ac2c6080fdafedd60865.png

What about durability. I drive through some really thick tree's, especially when hunting. In my area we have a lot of very dense Pinion & Juniper woods with lots of trails that get real tight and overgrown. These trails usually start out decent and pretty soon your just pushing through branches. Last year I bent my roof rack driving through a trail like this in a section overgrown with scrub oak. It seems to me like I would end up destroying an awning unless it was in a hard case of some sort.

I think I am leaning torwards a simpler smaller awning vs a big one. I already have a couple of canvas spring bar tents that I camp out of. I would be using an awning more for stuff like having lunch after a hike or setting it up with my shooting table underneath for some nice shade.

Do any of these awnings come in a hard case, or are they all soft?

20201009_194733.jpg
20201011_134151.jpg
20201024_172833.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom