Auxiliary Fuel Tanks for 200s (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I'm curious what mileage to you get with 33's 4.3 gears, roof rack towing and not towing?

I'll be happy to answer this once I get some data. I have an extensive mileage log that I keep every fill-up.

It may take awhile as I've been solely working from home with Covid going around. I do have a 1000 mile towing trip coming up and will report back then.

I'm curious what mileage to you get with 33's 4.3 gears, roof rack towing and not towing?
My 2013 is not loaded down, no armor, no roof rack, not towing, stock gears. I have BudBuilt rock sliders (170 lbs) and 285/65-18 K02.

You can see all of my fillups here:

tl;dr: In city traffic, I get around 14 mpg or less. On the highway, I get around 17-19 mpg, depending upon speed.

Last edited:
^I didn't catch what size tire you're running. Are you correcting range for tire diameter? Range may actually be better than the car is reporting.

Im running the toyota suggested size, I forget 285/17/??. Its whatever was mentioned in the manual for rock warriors. Whenever I see quarter tank I refill. Generally pumping 20 gallons. I have gotten 275-300 miles on a tank rarely but hate pushing it to the limit.

My 2013 is not loaded down, no armor, no roof rack, not towing, stock gears. I have BudBuilt rock sliders (170 lbs) and 285/65-18 K02.

You can see all of my fillups here:

tl;dr: In city traffic, I get around 14 mpg or less. On the highway, I get around 17-19 mpg, depending upon speed.
Good lord that's good mpg!!

We just got back from a 5000mi road trip criss-crossing the country and averaged 15mpg on the highway with stock vehicle and 275 70 18 BFG KO2 tires. The funny thing is I was trying to talk my wife into getting a LRA tank installed for an Arctic Circle trip I wanted to do next summer. The LC is her DD and she balked at the idea that we wouldn’t need the extra tank for trips in the US. Not two days after our conversation, we were traveling through IL, IN, SD and KS on county roads for 75-100 miles surrounded by corn fields with no services in site. We had to often go 10-20 miles off course to get gas so we didn’t run out and this just reinforced the reason for a larger tank even traveling in the CONUS.

So.....have not been able to locate this via search so thought I would toss it out in here. I have the 24 gallon aux LRA in my 2020. Everything was working absolutely perfect for the first 3500 miles. Today I got in the truck and the switch is inoperable. It does not display the aux fuel level and will not activate the aux tank. I wanted to see if anyone else had experienced this issue before I start down the troubleshooting list.

@jmlockwood did a new switch fix your issue? My switch was doa. Currently waiting on a new one and hope that fixes the issue.
Has anyone swapped out the switch for something a bit more robust?

@jmlockwood did a new switch fix your issue? My switch was doa. Currently waiting on a new one and hope that fixes the issue.
Has anyone swapped out the switch for something a bit more robust?
@Thornton Melon my problem was not the switch. There was an unrelated electrical issue occurring. I did a little research and turns out that switch is actually pretty good so I decided to keep it. Did upgrade the fuel pump though and its much faster and quieter.

@Thornton Melon my problem was not the switch. There was an unrelated electrical issue occurring. I did a little research and turns out that switch is actually pretty good so I decided to keep it. Did upgrade the fuel pump though and its much faster and quieter.

I want to swap out to the faster pump. Can you post the details for the pump and any other electrical modification needed?

^Me too. I’m interested in what folks are getting loaded down with built trucks.

Probably another thread on that....

IMO mileage will depend more on aero drag than vehicle weight. Things like loaded down heavy, even with big tires (assuming correct inflation pressure), won’t impact freeway mileage as much as the stuff that increases wind resistance like front bumper, roof rack.. those are analogous to dragging a wind sail everywhere you go.

IMO mileage will depend more on aero drag than vehicle weight. Things like loaded down heavy, even with big tires (assuming correct inflation pressure), won’t impact freeway mileage as much as the stuff that increases wind resistance like front bumper, roof rack.. those are analogous to dragging a wind sail everywhere you go.

100% agree and reflects my experience with xternal mod drag increase vs simple weight increase.

Thanks for the response. Hopefully the switch is all it is for me. My shop says they’ve had one other switch fail before.
I started with just a red light, but no fuel level indicator lights. It transferred fuel that day and then went dead.

I like the switch and hopefully I have some time this year to figure out how to program it so it's automatic. Automatic means it runs like a military generator fuel system where /when the main tank gets down to 1/4 it refills from aux tank until it gets the main back up to 3/4. The switch has this ability. I just need to figure out the voltage readings on the main tank sender to code it.

I used a faster pump.
But requiredsome voltage/draw tricks.

A side benefit of my faster pump is that it is also quieter.

Here is what I use with mine:

@Markuson

Where did you install the pump? Same location on rear quarter as the pump supplied with the kit? Mounted on the sheet metal?

The Airtex is a lot bigger and heavier.

Send a picture if you can.

Thanks!

image.jpg

Sorry if this has been asked before:
While on a recent road trip, I found myself transferring gas to the primary tank more often than usual and forgot to stop the pump a few times when the primary was full (I was rolling heavy and wanted to keep weight in front of the rear axle).

When you run the aux tank pump into a full primary tank, gas spills back into the Aux tank via the dual filler tube. Is this different than "topping off" the primary tank with a gas pump?

That is how mine functions. But, as an important cavet, you need to be careful that it does not flood the charcoal canister. The kit has you relocate the charcoal canister to inside the passenger rear wheel well. I noticed that I was getting a strong fuel smell at times. Working with Walt, we figured out that that charcoal cannister had been flooded and then clogged with dirt. It resulted in a lot of pressure in the main tank -- manifest when opening the lid when at altitude. Just watch for this issue if you have been "cycling" fuel from the primary tank back to the secondary tank when forgetting to turn off the pump. I had to replace my charcoal cannister as it was totally clogged.

NOTE: I ended up relocating my charcoal cannister away from the rear tire well.

Cheers!
-EconomistAZ

I installed my 12.5 gallon tank a few weeks ago and I think your main tank will overflow to the charcoal canister if overfilled. I don't see how it would overflow to the aux tank unless the fuel level made it up to the breather port of the aux tank located high on the filler neck. In that case, I think the aux tank would fill through the breather hose and vent through the fill port.

That is what mine was doing -- cycling fuel back to the Aux tank via the breather port.... The installation instructions place the charcoal canister lower than the breather port, so it floods the charcoal cannister first.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom