Auxiliary Fuel Tanks for 200s (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

wardharris

SILVER Star
Threads
Website
longrangeamerica.com
BIG TANK NEWS & VIEWS :bounce::bounce2:
We are bringing in some Long Range Automotive tanks for stock, looking to gauge interest in tank size for the 200s. Will require relocation of charcoal canister. These are complete kits - using second fill point. Tech notes/install details on the LRA site below.

EDIT/UPDATE 3-4-18

We have successfully developed a family of auxiliary tanks for US spec 200 Series with 40, 24 and 13 gallon capacities. The smallest accommodates the spare in the original location, the other two require relocation to another location.

The US kits work with OEM emission systems and do not throw codes or create issues with smog testing. We are taking orders for the tanks via this link Request a Quote - and welcome questions, comments, complaints, etc. via info@cruiserbrothers.com or call my desk number 209-636-0831.

Have a read, watch the video and thanks for your interest.

Ward Harris (and Georg Esterer)

16 gallon installed
upload_2017-10-3_8-41-9.png

45 gallon installed
upload_2017-10-3_8-41-45.png

Last edited:
Had to repost this as MUD doesn't allow edits to Polls. Here are a couple of comments from the first thread now deleted/replaced

@TonyP
Website only shows 60L and 170L. - Ya, I'm an idjit, see below

@Romer
Yup, don't see a 24 gallon one - That was an erroneous reference to the 80 Series aux tank

Will the dual filler have a restrictor? - I don't believe so - not listed in the kit and that's not something the Aussies fit

Are you planning on working an installation provider? - We work with several dozen shops on the Terrain Tamer and Harrop product lines. A number of them have voiced interest in reselling/installing - Frisbee Automotive, Valley Hybrids, etc. as early examples.

Last edited:
I would follow back with them. Without the restrictor these would be illegal in the US. Long Ranger adds a restrictor when they ship to the US

I would follow back with them. Without the restrictor these would be illegal in the US. Long Ranger adds a restrictor when they ship to the US
Good point

Like with anything, cost determines everything. What is the price looking to be for one of these?

The initial price worries me only a small amount. My big concern is the labor... the website says 5.5 hrs which is great, if corrct. I am towing 6000 pounds and desperately need better range, 16 gallons would be perfect for me!

70L Auxiliary Fuel Tank – Retains The Spare Tyre | The Long Ranger

Do you plan to verify that these are Plug and Play kits, and fully 49 state legal?

Do you plan to sell these direct or will you require installation through one of your partner installers? Can I use my local 4wd fabricator?

Thanks so much for doing this, the 200 community has been wanting these products.

John Davies
Spokane WA

Last edited:
16 gallons would be awesome.

I have a little concern for the LX's. From what I gather (not confirmed) about the evap relocations, the likely position is where the AHC pump and reservoir mechanism is.

I'm also less concerned that it is fully state legal. I want it to work with the evap system and be legit, but believe that current laws and red tape won't formally support a legal aux tank. I would be happy to be proven wrong.

The initial price worries me only a small amount. My big concern is the labor... the website says 5.5 hrs which is great, if corrct. I am towing 600 pounds and need desperately better range, 16 gallons would be perfect for me!

70L Auxiliary Fuel Tank – Retains The Spare Tyre | The Long Ranger

Do you plan to verify that these are Plug and Play kits, and fully 49 state legal?

Thanks so much for doing this, the 200 community has been wanting these products.

John Davies
Spokane WA
Thanks, John. Ya, 40 gallons on the back of the truck is a fair bit of added weight.

Yes, like many things in life, the cost of the tank/kit is just the beginning. The LRA folks have been selling into the US market for many years and they are comfortable with the basic install time estimate of 5 hours, plus what is needed to deal with charcoal cannister.

Yes, we plan to confirm effort, time and expense to complete the US installs.

Not so sure about "49 state legal" as there are multiple, overlaying regulatory interests/agencies. We are going slow, working with selected Beta install customers and installing shops we know and trust.

My partner Georg (@orangefj45 at Valley Hybrids) has a 25 year reputation in the Land Cruiser community and will not tolerate half assed products or installs, so the standard is pretty high.

Will keep you all posted. :)

This would be great. One thing that would be really important to me is professional installation instructions. Chances are you won’t have an installation shop near me. So I would need to take it to my local mechanic.

Last edited:
This would be great. One thing that would be really important to me is professional installation instructions. Chances are you won’t have an installation shop near me. So I would need to take it to me local mechanic.
Georg is all over the need for detailed support for our partners and customers. Here is an example of his approach.....different system/vehicle but you will get a sense of his approach....

Any suggestions on dealing with gas vapor? I think the stock one gets overwhelmed already the 24 gallon tank.

I am interested on the 16 gallon one and very curious how to move the stock charcoal canister.

I had 170l one in my 1999 100 Series and it killed the stock charcoal canister. I hope you guys can find a solution. It would be great to have extra fuel on board.

Any suggestions on dealing with gas vapor? I think the stock one gets overwhelmed already the 24 gallon tank.

I am interested on the 16 gallon one and very curious how to move the stock charcoal canister.

I had 170l one in my 1999 100 Series and it killed the stock charcoal canister. I hope you guys can find a solution. It would be great to have extra fuel on board.
We are not going to screw around with selling tanks unless we can also help resolve the related issues consistently across different tank models and Series. As noted above, @orangefj45 is the brains of this crew and if we cannot "get it right" he won't have anything to dow with it.

There are four basic issues, when dealing with modern rigs - 200, FJC, GX, 4Runner, Tacoma, etc.:
  1. Fitment
  2. Filler, transfer/valving, canister/filters and pumps/gauges
  3. Proper operation of system with ECU, emissions, etc. to reduce and resolve error codes
  4. Safety and compliance
Even though we run a business, this project is not about making money as much as filling some needs in the community. For those readers not familiar with Cruiser Brothers, we started the firm in 2014 in order to provide installing shops with key components/kits for older Land Cruisers - knuckle rebuild kits, manual transmission and transfer case rebuild kits, high performance clutches, brakes, transfer case gears (crawler, overdrive, underdrive), Harrop / Eaton ELockers and the like.

Much of what we have introduced came about to meet a need - not to be a "me too" seller. The tanks would be a nice add-on but it will never be a big part of our business. We want to be of service and we are just stubborn enough to keep at it until we get it right.

OK, commercial over :)

Last edited:
I can vouch for Georg as a complete stand up cruiser guy. From providing parts and tech assistance for my 40 Series rigs to helping me get my truck back on the road a decade ago from Surf n Turf he's the real deal.

He's the type of guy we want trying to solve this problem. I hope this develops into a viable option.

Subscribed.

@wardharris if this is legal in WA then count me in. also the poll link takes directly to the LA website and don't see a poll form.

I don't care if it's legal and I have no worries installing it myself. I need a 60L sub tank for my 200.

I have LRA tanks in my 80 and I'm very pleased with their quality and their kits.

I don't care if it's legal and I have no worries installing it myself. I need a 60L sub tank for my 200.

I have LRA tanks in my 80 and I'm very pleased with their quality and their kits.
Thanks, Steve. I will call ya. You are on the list....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom