Auto Steering Wheel tilt making a roaring noise ... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
When I remove the key on my LX470, the Auto Steering Wheel tilt makes a roaring noise.
Are there grease or oiling maintenance for this device?
Or should I just disable this feature using Tech Stream?

When I remove the key on my LX470, the Auto Steering Wheel tilt makes a roaring noise.
Are there grease or oiling maintenance for this device?
Or should I just disable this feature using Tech StreaMine no longer works and to replace is ~$300. When it goes out, the position of the wheel is too high which can be a little annoying. I'd disable.
Mine no longer works and to replace is ~$300. When it goes out, the position of the wheel is too high which can be a little annoying. I'd disable.

I had mine disabled because the telescoping motor was showing its age. The button still controls the wheel, just no auto function.

Today, mine started making 2 noises at the same time once the key goes in or out of the ignition - a groan and a crinkling paper noise while the column does its thing. I can't recall if it did it when I moved it manually to test it. It did that about 3-4 times in a row but the last start/stop of the day was perfectly normal again. This thread was the first one I've found referencing that problem in my search tonight. Does anybody know if I can expect this to become a worsening intermittent problem meaning the demise of the auto feature?

@cwmoser Did you ever resolve your issue from post #1?

And - why the hell did they think it was a good idea to make the auto down/out start immediately upon inserting the key? Would be much nicer for it to wait until after the engine starts. 2000 LX470. It's the most recent model year vehicle I've ever had so I have no idea how it's done on more modern stuff.

As preventive maintenace, I used Tech Stream and disabled the Steering Wheel auto functions.
It still works manually.
To me that function is a lot of nonsense, perhaps more a sales gimmic, but I look at it as something that potentially could cause problems later.

Ok mine stuck today in the highest position. It goes in when turning key off and out when turn key on but switch doesn’t operate at all up or down now. Stuck up high. Anyone tear into one of these or the switch?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom